Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Historical verdict in Denmark, according to Norwegian professor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical verdict in Denmark, according to Norwegian professor

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php?id=4372975

quick, jagged translation of link (from public service station, TV2):

Professor: Verdict is a sensation.

The Norwegian professor specializing in killings of honour, Unni Wikan, calls the outcome of the case of the murder of 18 year old Ghazala Khan in Slagelse for "sensational".
    A jury in Østre Landsret found all nine accused guilty of murder and accessary to murder, and no paragraph concerning reduced punishment was used.
    Never before in the western world have so many been found guilty of complicity to a so-called killing of honour.
    "As far as I know, it's the first time in Northern Europe that so many family members and friends have been convicted for the killing of a young girl. It is a focus area for the UN and other international institutions, and I think the verdict will get much attention when it gets known around the world," says Unni Sikan, professor of social anthropology at the University of Oslo. The nine were convicted for having taken part in a several weeks long chase for the girl who ran off with her boy friend and married him without the consent of the family.
    The chase culminated Sept. 23rd last year at the railway station in Slagelse where Ghazala-s brother emptied a gun of six shots against the two.
    Ghazala was killed, while Emal survived due to fast surgery.
    There hasn't been much proof against the accused, except for the brother, but there has been much circumstancial evidence, like 5,000-6,000 pieces of information about conversations over the accused's telephones, pinpointing them to places contradicting their own information.
    Furthermore, the mostly Pakistani witnesses fell into two groups. The ones who had a hard time remembering, or refusing to stand by, the information they had previously given the police. And the ones who with great accuracy and credibility told what they had seen or heard.
    The verdict of the jury pointed at Ghazala's father, Ghulam Abbas, as the central character in the crime. He started the chase of his daughter and her boy friend, and ordered his son to execute them.

[EDIT: major blunder corrected: "There has been much proof..." changed to "There hasnt' been much proof..."]
    Last edited by Jagged; 06-27-2006, 11:37 AM.
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Terrifiying !

In France, we have many problems of this sort :

Veiling, Wedding by strength, excision, polygamy, repudiation and so .......

What ires me is when a well meaning or racist thinker expalins/excuses this by cultural difference or right to live his religion ......

Jurys are more and more strict ........

Comment

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole thing. I do approve of my country not tolerating the kind of misogynic tyranny, whatever people's religion or culture. What worries me a bit, is that this might have an edge of striking harder on crimes typically found among immigrants than the ones found among locals. There's a HUGE amount of self-righteous superiority over other cultures among many Danes today. I suppose it's quite usual for every people to see just their place, people and time as the best society that has ever existed on Earth, but it's a tendency I find worrying.

Also, I'm very sceptical against the logic that all social problems can be solved through harder punishment. I think that maybe the expenses for the prison cells might be better used in more constructive ways like, say, spending more on women's crisis centers.

Comment

Tony Blair has recently refused to pass a law forbidding forced marriage, so as not to upset Muslims. Shame he didn't refuse to invade Iraq instead. But I guess oil means more than women's rights to neo-liberals.
        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

ATTAC is knowing a crisis and the position to take about islam is one of the big issue. Islamists ( not muslims ) as Tariq Ramadan have been invited many times in social forums to make their propaganda. But it is not because they are anti-american and anti-capitalism that they share western values about equality, democracy, religious rights included atheism and conversion out of islam, and are progressists.

But the problem is not only about Islam ....... fundamentalist catholics and " protestants " meet the same reserve in me.

In official international meetings, all religious agree on some issues ...... and block progress on women rights and many others subjects.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
            Shame he didn't refuse to invade Iraq instead.
            Um, yeah, that would have been a more significant gesture, indeed...

But I could say something similar about the Danish prime minister.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane
              But the problem is not only about Islam ....... fundamentalist catholics and " protestants " meet the same reserve in me.
              Religious fundamentalism does always seem to be rather tyrannical to be, and I actually find it hard to distinguish the ideological basis of the worst Christian fundamentalists from that of the Islamic ones. I do find especially the regimes of many Arab countries disgusting... but so do many Arabs.

However, the Arab world during these years have significantly bigger problems with poverty and illiteracy... so what really sets me off is when people seem to think you can expect the same standards of Iran as of the US.

An old Danish saying goes that one ought to sweep before one's own door before accusing the neighbour about not sweeping before his. Is there an equivalent of that in English?

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged
                An old Danish saying goes that one ought to sweep before one's own door before accusing the neighbour about not sweeping before his. Is there an equivalent of that in English?
                'That's the pot calling the kettle black'

or possibly

'People in glass houses should not throw stones'

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay
                  'That's the pot calling the kettle black'

or possibly

'People in glass houses should not throw stones'
                  The pot saying is close, but not quite the same. It's one that I like very much for private reasons (a dear friend usually calls me names when I'd like to say he's burnt), and very well known in Turkey. However, there's no equivalent of that in Denmark, to my knowledge, which might explain why some astonishingly primitive arguments are still accepted as "the people's voice" on all Danish TV channels.

Comment

Working...
                  X