Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Stalin Planned Army of Ape-Man Super-Warriors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalin Planned Army of Ape-Man Super-Warriors

Originally posted by The Scotsman
    Stalin's half-man, half-ape super-warriors
    CHRIS STEPHEN AND ALLAN HALL

THE Soviet dictator Josef Stalin ordered the creation of Planet of the Apes-style warriors by crossing humans with apes, according to recently uncovered secret documents.

Moscow archives show that in the mid-1920s Russia's top animal breeding scientist, Ilya Ivanov, was ordered to turn his skills from horse and animal work to the quest for a super-warrior.

According to Moscow newspapers, Stalin told the scientist: "I want a new invincible human being, insensitive to pain, resistant and indifferent about the quality of food they eat."

In 1926 the Politburo in Moscow passed the request to the Academy of Science with the order to build a "living war machine". The order came at a time when the Soviet Union was embarked on a crusade to turn the world upside down, with social engineering seen as a partner to industrialisation: new cities, architecture, and a new egalitarian society were being created.

The Soviet authorities were struggling to rebuild the Red Army after bruising wars.

And there was intense pressure to find a new labour force, particularly one that would not complain, with Russia about to embark on its first Five-Year Plan for fast-track industrialisation.

Mr Ivanov was highly regarded. He had established his reputation under the Tsar when in 1901 he established the world's first centre for the artificial insemination of racehorses.

Mr Ivanov's ideas were music to the ears of Soviet planners and in 1926 he was dispatched to West Africa with $200,000 to conduct his first experiment in impregnating chimpanzees.

Meanwhile, a centre for the experiments was set up in Georgia - Stalin's birthplace - for the apes to be raised.

Mr Ivanov's experiments, unsurprisingly from what we now know, were a total failure. He returned to the Soviet Union, only to see experiments in Georgia to use monkey sperm in human volunteers similarly fail.

A final attempt to persuade a Cuban heiress to lend some of her monkeys for further experiments reached American ears, with the New York Times reporting on the story, and she dropped the idea amid the uproar.

Mr Ivanov was now in disgrace. His were not the only experiments going wrong: the plan to collectivise farms ended in the 1932 famine in which at least four million died.

For his expensive failure, he was sentenced to five years' jail, which was later commuted to five years' exile in the Central Asian republic of Kazakhstan in 1931. A year later he died, reportedly after falling sick while standing on a freezing railway platform.
    http://news.scotsman.com/internation...?id=2434192005

In the 'truth is stranger than fiction' department. I wonder what Marx would have made of this? It sounds like the absolute antithesis of his aims for humanity. Not even George Orwell could have imagined it.

Or is this just an attempt by Moscow's current regime to discredit the dreams of the past? I gather that 'Uncle Joe' is still (bizarrely) something of a hero to many of those suffering under gangster capitalism.
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

now that is pretty twisted and sick.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

This sounds strangely familiar to Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. Sounds like a great sci plot - but clearly a monstrous reality.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Ohh that Ivanov sounds like quite the mad scientist. Betcha he thought up the whole thing as an excuse to diddly-wink some monkeys.

Anyhoo, there wasn't very much Ivanov could do anyways, with the limited genetic knowledge of the time. Probably the best he could do was sewing monkey parts onto his comrade slash research aide slash victim slash bag of meat

Comment

It shouldn't be that surprising. Governments today are willing to put lots of money into crazy research projects on the odd chance that one of them will turn something up.

Comment

Tell you what, this'll make a cracker of a sci-fi in the classic "communism is evil" vein ;)

Comment

I have dated girls that didnt shave their legs but this is too far down that end of the spectrum.Artificial insemination would be a given since physical arousal would be non existent.Some things were never meant to be,thank the heavens.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak
                I have dated girls that didnt shave their legs but this is too far down that end of the spectrum.Artificial insemination would be a given since physical arousal would be non existent.Some things were never meant to be,thank the heavens.
                I don't know - wasn't one of the theories about the origins of AIDS that it spread from monkeys released from labs. Not my bag, though...
                \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                  I don't know - wasn't one of the theories about the origins of AIDS that it spread from monkeys released from labs. Not my bag, though...
                  One of many dubious theories (CIA plot, Divine retribution, etc.) The general consensus now sems to be that it was a disease of primates which jumped the species barrier. However, this was through people eating infected chimps rather than having sex with them..

Heres a link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5012268.stm

Comment

Working...
                  X