Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Religion/Government-saw this was on the news again today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion/Government-saw this was on the news again today

http://www.christianpost.com/article...officers/1.htm

Do you think things like this has more to do with somebody's individual egos rather than the seperation of Church and State?

I have nothing against atheists or followers of any religion, but it seems things like this are getting a bit silly.

Does this mean that eventually someone would want to take away crosses away from military graveyards that are on public and government land? When will it stop? We would have things for hundreds of years, then suddenly it would be taken away. Even if we don't agree with religion in this modern age, should not we preserve things like this for the future generations who might choose to believe in it?

In the case of the removal of the crosses, they should be allowed to have them if the police officers were Christians and if they are not , they could find the appropriate symbol or just place a headstone or something.

It's freedom of religion, I don't think that means freedom to take away other's religions, just keep it out of the law of the land and that should be good enough. We need The cosmic Balance to come to the US and straigten things up a bit. ;)

Your thoughts?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Re: Religion/Government-saw this was on the news again today

Originally posted by lemec
    It's freedom of religion, I don't think that means freedom to take away other's religions, just keep it out of the law of the land and that should be good enough.
    That's it right there, lemec. If the religion of the honored dead officer(s) is Christianity, then I see nothing wrong with the cross being the symbol to grace the memorial(s). I say let American Atheists, Inc. take issue when an atheist officer is memorialized with a cross. Until then, deal with it.

This isn't the same as government-sanctioned religious icons in federal buildings or teaching creationism in schools.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

This just seems like a counterpoint to the type of ridiculous campaigns Xtians are constantly launching - such as opposing the words "Seasons Greetings" in Xmas cards (seen as an example of 'political correctness' - that's funny because xmas cards have been worded thus for as long as I can remember) - getting "Jerry Springer-the opera" dvds banned (a loony group called 'Christian Voice' - who, incidentally, believe Hurricane Katrina to God's judgment on New Orleans - have achieved just this in Sainsbury's and Woolworths) and campaigning against 'The Da Vinci Code' (well, on literary grounds i'd support them....). A manager working for our local council received death threats (which the police took seriously) because she helped organise a 'Festival of Lights' in the town centre, which did not explicitly use the word 'Xmas'.

And - 12 foot high?! That's a bit extreme, isn't it? I'd object if one was outside my house. And when will they erect memorials to the alarmingly high numbers of people killed by speeding cops each year?
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

A pox on both of their simple-minded *##*#*# houses
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

Thanks PsychicWarVeteren, I did not think I was too far off on that one.

If they do decide to take all symbols away, does that mean we would have to take away the '+' cross on all military medical kits and medical units? I think they still use that right? They are part of the government, we would have to invent new acceptable symbols. We could not have the cross on the med kits in schools,government buildings and the like, and that is just something easily recognizable in an emergency.

Mikey_C, extremists are always bad and I don't agree with what they say either.

There could be a compromise, the crosses probalby only needed to be about four feet tall, but they probably made them 12 feet so trucks don't run them over.

all I'm saying is the atheist concept has been around for a long time, so why is everyone jumping on the bandwagon to ban things?

it seems like non-religion is becoming a religion in itself. If there is ever an organized group of atheists trying to make this country what they want it to be, is that really keeping religion out of government?

a person does not have to believe in a 'higher power' to do wrong and force their way of life and views upon others, is not still oppression?

I am not saying what I belive either way, but it is wrong to be forced to obey religion and it is also wrong to have non-religious ideals forced upon you.

A cross is not forcing anyone to become a Christian

about religion in schools, does this mean nobody can discuss the religion of historical figures and cultures anymore? Will we have to leave that subject out when talking about ancient cultures and what they were like?

I'm just putting out some thoughts out there, I'm open minded about this subject, that is why I put it under a debate. ;)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Working...
          X