Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I HATE XMAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pease
    replied
    I love presents! Getting and giving them.

Leave a comment:

• alian
    replied
    Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
    Well, now it's a bleeding Rudolph!

Display Shows Bleeding Rudolph Hanging From Tree

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A holiday display is getting some negative attention from neighbors. A homeowner's display in the Hunter's Creek subdivision features Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer hanging from a tree.

One red light represents its nose and the rest appear to be blood draining from Rudolph's body. The display represents a hunting technique called field dressing, which is what hunters do to a deer they kill...
    http://www.wftv.com/news/5540774/detail.html#

High-wire artist ?
    COULD THIS BE CALLED 'DEVIANT ART' . It doesn't seem to be like the way Trevor Brown's work distanced himself from conventional representational Art.
    I'm wondering if it is to resume the humor in the same mill as the santy's affair, the link being the deers gliding the sleigh, who's next ?
    Maybe The Dwarfs , or the Elves (usually Santy is 'snowed' under Elves in G-string like in Kingdom Under Fire :)?

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Well, now it's a bleeding Rudolph!

Display Shows Bleeding Rudolph Hanging From Tree

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A holiday display is getting some negative attention from neighbors. A homeowner's display in the Hunter's Creek subdivision features Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer hanging from a tree.

One red light represents its nose and the rest appear to be blood draining from Rudolph's body. The display represents a hunting technique called field dressing, which is what hunters do to a deer they kill...
    http://www.wftv.com/news/5540774/detail.html#

Leave a comment:

• alian
    replied
    Originally posted by twenty8twelve

Anyway, my suggestion is, is just to ignore the hype in the stores and constant playing of xmas songs on the radio, and just make the most of the day with family - and the inevitable argument that comes after someone has had way too much cherry (which is always funny). :P

Em
    I totally agree (except for the cherry, I don't drink)
    Till ~8 every kid is supposed to believe massively in Santa. It's always a nice moment to see the children naأ¯ve eyes flashing at their gift.
    I don't reject the concept itself, though when I was a little boy the idea of a night prowler red man able to crawl in even if there were no chimney like Tooms in X-Files was really scary. But I'm pissed off the associated candish mercantilism.

Once kids grow up to adults they may have different approaches for taking distance with "the silent reproach of a million tear-stained eyes" they drag behind.
    illusion, superstition, fantasy are bricks in the wall of our lives.
    My first opinion was just to say lynching Santa in a place where are children is like shooting at an ambulance, and I persist and sign ! He's a fashion victim!
    Talking, or writing, or drawing is a step toward debate, debate leads to culture, and culture leads to Art.
    I would propose an ad-on to this thread in a sense of what is the limit
    in Art ?
    I'm wondering what angry response should someone deserve from the politically correct pro-Bush "Tartuffe"'s if he had recommended a deviant art picture of Trevor Brown (an english artist; see among his unhealthy and disturbing work the "Choco christmas _Feliz_Invalidad" picture e.g.) instead of a lynched santy ?

Alain

Leave a comment:

• twenty8twelve
    replied
    Originally posted by Talisant
    One of the spookiest (for the time - early '60s?) Twilight Zones involved a serial killer dressed as Santy, I believe it was banned from the airwaves for quite a while after it's initial airing.
    See now that would make a wonderful change! I really am getting tired of seeing re-runs of Only Fools & Horses...and you can only see Home Alone so many times before getting bored.

Normally around this time of year I'd join you all in the "I hate xmas" chorus, what with my birthday also being close to xmas (used to get very depressed) - but this year I'm suprisingly looking forward to it. I'm not looking forward to the presents or the food - although they're a bonus - but this will be a time when the immediate family gets to see each other, as my bro has been away at uni. It's also going to be very different since we have all 'grown' up now :) lol.

Anyway, my suggestion is, is just to ignore the hype in the stores and constant playing of xmas songs on the radio, and just make the most of the day with family - and the inevitable argument that comes after someone has had way too much cherry (which is always funny). :P

Em

Leave a comment:

• alian
    replied
    Serial Slayer Santa?

Maybe that explains this guy's holiday decoration:

..from TV6 ...-->
    "Now the kids are sad with that, you know, because they say it's not fair with Santa."
    Personally my two children never paid attention to Santy, when she was a kid my daughter was scared when I tried to have her photo with the red buddy who haunts every stores.

I think the act you mentioned is a little clumsy (the act itself), because I believe one could joke with everything subject, but not with everyone none everywhere. In a forum ...why not, I did it, but in the real life clearly this Ron Stroia has been taken literally what for my own I see a conceptual way to put under spotlight the side effects that the xmas mercantilism have on our blind modern life. The mothers are right to not spoil children with such a story. Time will yet come too soon when the thin ice of life will crack.

(Roger Waters)
    If you should go skating
    On the thin ice of modern life
    Dragging behind you the silent reproach
    Of a million tear-stained eyes
    Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice
    Appears under your feet.
    You slip out of your depth and out of your mind
    With your fear flowing out behind you
    As you claw the thin ice
    (http://home.mchsi.com/~ttint/thethinice.html)
    It's this very thin layer of ice that keeps us from slipping into the uncharted depths of our subconscious, an action that would lead to insanity as a result of being submerged in repressed and unrealized emotions.

Leave a comment:

• Theocrat
    replied
    Serial Slayer Santa?

Blindfolded Santa Hanging From Noose At Home Upsets Neighborhood

A large blindfolded Santa hanging from a noose from a high tree in a man's yard has angered homeowners in a Florida neighborhood, according to a Local 6 News report.

The Santa doll, which neighborhood children can easily see, was put up by homeowner Ron Stroia at his home located on 555 West 50th Street in Miami Beach, the report said.

"It's just wrong, I mean who would want their children to see this, and it reminds adults of lynching," neighbor Estelle Farnsworth said. "It's just nasty, there is no spirit of Christmas in this."

The Santa also has his hands and legs bound by some type of wire.

"Now the kids are sad with that, you know, because they say it's not fair with Santa," neighbor Tanira Giacian said. "Santa should be around bringing their gifts, looking for the gifts, and not hanging on a tree. They're just kind of scared of that."

Since the display was put in the tree, neighbors have called police to get it removed, but officers said there is nothing they can do because the homeowner is protected under the First Amendment, Local 6 News reported.

Stroia would not talk with reporters, but did say by telephone that it's his right to display the Santa whether neighbors like it or not.

"This has really caused a big stir in the neighborhood, this is just cruel," Farnsworth said.
    http://www.local6.com/news/5491296/detail.html

I feel like Mr Burns.. "Ahhhh Exellent!!!"

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Serial Slayer Santa?

Blindfolded Santa Hanging From Noose At Home Upsets Neighborhood

A large blindfolded Santa hanging from a noose from a high tree in a man's yard has angered homeowners in a Florida neighborhood, according to a Local 6 News report.

The Santa doll, which neighborhood children can easily see, was put up by homeowner Ron Stroia at his home located on 555 West 50th Street in Miami Beach, the report said.

"It's just wrong, I mean who would want their children to see this, and it reminds adults of lynching," neighbor Estelle Farnsworth said. "It's just nasty, there is no spirit of Christmas in this."

The Santa also has his hands and legs bound by some type of wire.

"Now the kids are sad with that, you know, because they say it's not fair with Santa," neighbor Tanira Giacian said. "Santa should be around bringing their gifts, looking for the gifts, and not hanging on a tree. They're just kind of scared of that."

Since the display was put in the tree, neighbors have called police to get it removed, but officers said there is nothing they can do because the homeowner is protected under the First Amendment, Local 6 News reported.

Stroia would not talk with reporters, but did say by telephone that it's his right to display the Santa whether neighbors like it or not.

"This has really caused a big stir in the neighborhood, this is just cruel," Farnsworth said.
    http://www.local6.com/news/5491296/detail.html

Leave a comment:

• alian
    replied
    One of the spookiest (for the time - early '60s?) Twilight Zones involved a serial killer dressed as Santy, I believe it was banned from the airwaves for quite a while after it's initial airing.

It's an oldie but goldie . The concept was fine .." We are now taking control for your TV, don't try to trigger the image" ( The script was a Lissajou curve. I remember it was the time the TV had a vertical and horizontal sweep adjustable , on the rear side, just close to the 20,000 volts tube connector zzzzzzzzzzzzztchhcrrrr! experience to transform your finger into a hamburger ) .
    It can scarcely be said that it didn't inspired Chris Carter X-Files !

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    There was a film called 'Black Christmas' based on the same idea.

Leave a comment:

• Talisant
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alian
    replied
    Last and least may I give you a subtle hint of santa claus.
    In my son's german-french dictionnary "weihnachtsmann" is "santa Claus" or litterally " christmas father" in sky-english .
    Phonetically it sounds like "vine hartman" i.e. a tough guy ( sergent Hartman in "Full Metal Jacket") with a big red nose full of grapevine juice (before drinking coca ) . Tip: the real santa claus was killed by his evil twin of brother Bogeyman; and then he became a night prowler hidden in a fun-fair red-nose clown.
    Now I know why is there so much english D rated 70's movies with a serial killer disguised in Santa Claus ! no kidding , it's the true truth (about the movies). I've seen it.
    :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Theocrat
    replied
    Originally posted by alian
    I found out that "Knecht" translates farmhand in eng. i.e. man working in a farm ; or it can be view as a KNOUT from the French transliteration of a Russian word of Scandinavian origin cf. cnotta, Eng. knot), the whip used in Russia under Ivan III (1462-1505) for flogging criminals and political offenders.
    So if I summarize this data a KNECHT is a kind of cow-boy with a strong pair of arms ? maybe ?
    (*)http://www.kuftc.com/
    [/color]
    "Knekt" is an old scandinavian word for soldier or an infantry man. The jack, in the cardgame, is called a "knekt". A "knight" is called a "Riddare" though.

Leave a comment:

• Talisant
    replied
    :up:

Leave a comment:

• alian
    replied
    I thought, given the title of this thread, that alian was possibly using the Ruppert reference to evoke the idea of Knecht Rupert as an avatar to embody and give a spin to his feelings concerning Christmas, seems like it was just a happy accident. :)

Black Peter is more from the Dutch traditions I believe.

I wish everyone a easy and non-stressed winter-time year's end, peace.

pure coincidence ? maybe.
    when I was a little boy I lived in North of France, in my culture I heard about Saint Nicolas the "full of goodness" (like St. Declan in irish). Later the Saint Nicolas is supposed to have been the model which was used to turn into Santa in US (should I remind Santa Claus was formerly an ad on coca-cola bottles). But he showed up for good kids only. On the other gloomy side there was a negative character you can find more on this link:
    [color=blue]http://www.joyeuse-fete.com/saint-nicolas/[color]

this is quote of a fragment, I didn't invent it:

Saint Nicolas is accompanied by a hard character to the blackened face which carries a rod. He is known in the east of France under the name of "bogyman", which distributes rods to the little children who were not wise during the year. It is only in XVIe century that one started to speak about bogyman.[/

Maybe I tend to see only Mr Bogeyman in Christmas fairy tale. Is it serious case , doc ? I'll ask my psy.
    Again, this is like the half-full and half-empty glass dilemma: throw the glass away because it doesn't really matter.
    I'm eager to see the end of my antidepressant pills bag.
    Thank you to your good wish Talisant, I wish you and all people around here sincerely a good time too.
    Alian.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X