Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Plot Patents: The end of fiction writing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot Patents: The end of fiction writing?

This might really kill fiction writing. The patent office is now deciding on whether or not you can now patent a plot storyline.

Go and read about this at groklaw.net and then come back.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...51103183218268

So, if I'm understanding this correctly something like Spice World would be illegal because it has the same plot as A Hard Day's Night.

From Groklaw.net, sorry I don't know how to do the hyperlinks.
    I have to say. They have at last invented a way to destroy all cultural development forevermore. That's an achievement of a sort.

Remember, a published patent means it hasn't issued yet. But if you wish to throw up, read about the <link here>dreams being dreamed. They are willing to destroy the world's culture for $67,200. Here's Knight and Associates' <link here>legal analysis, which they are probably proud of. To me, it's like figuring out how to destroy the planet and all human life on it. What is your responsibility? To implement it, to even tell anyone what you cleverly invented? I know. Knight and Associates would advise patenting it first.

Only in America... as they say. :roll:

The fictitious story, which Knight dubs “The Zombie Stare,� tells of an ambitious high school senior, consumed by anticipation of college admission, who prays one night to remain unconscious until receiving his MIT admissions letter. He consciously awakes 30 years later when he finally receives the letter, lost in the mail for so many years, and discovers that, to all external observers, he has lived an apparently normal life. He desperately seeks to regain 30 years’ worth of memories lost as an unconscious philosophical zombie.
    Um, not that I've ever read it, but can I say Rip Van Winkle here? :?

Aren't there supposed to be like only seven plots in the world anyway or something? I hope that these is one of those things that gets a lot of publicity before the fact but eventually gets chucked out and comes to nothing.

Bradi, this would actually be worth posting in the Q&A so we can get Mike's reaction to the story.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Surely horror fiction would dry up the quickest!
      You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

That's just rubbish! Total complete and utter ! Anyone who patents a plot deserves to have a large spike jammed into their indulge in stream of conciousness blah blah blah.

Okay, I deserve death for emoticon abuse. But it pretty much gets my reaction down pat. I've had a long hard day. Sorry

Comment

I've patented all my plots. And I'll see you in court, damn you! Ahaaahahaaa!

*I should point out that I don't have very good plots, when they exist at all.

Comment

got a patent pending on the word "The" also "the" also "tha" and "th" and don't forget "thuh" and "uh". So WATCH OUT MAN. :)

Urban Myth? Read that some wiley guy in Russia patented the familiar beer bottle, so rather than pay a usage fee bottlers were selling beer in ketchup/catsup bottles. Any truth?
            "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

It would be kind of cool if this sponsored a whole underworld of clandestine Plot Outlines that could even fool the patent lawyers.

Here's the scene: A seedy dive bar, in the rough part of town.

Writer: Rico...What do you got for me...I need to write... bad.

Rico: Got a good one for you. The plot goes somethin' like this: These two kids go over the river and through the woods to their grandmother's house. Ya like it?

Writer: Sounds kind of like Lil' Red Ridin' Hood. I don't want to get busted using an illegal patent.

Rico: No man! This totally different.

Writer: Alright. I'll take it. Where did you get this patent anyway?

Rico: Let's just say it fell off a truck.

Comment

Damn it! I forgot to sign in. That was me.

Brad

Comment

Sorry. Your log-in is not patent pending.

Comment

If they can patent medicinal plants, why not plots? :(

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
                      Aren't there supposed to be like only seven plots in the world anyway or something? I hope that these is one of those things that gets a lot of publicity before the fact but eventually gets chucked out and comes to nothing.
                      Ypu can only patent ideas not plots. Plots are universal. Should we say Elric is a rip-off of Brak Man Morn in that both are stories of king of waning races? Surely the stories are far diffrent, plot may be similiar, but thats the point. Interpretation is what makes new stories, plots never change.

Man vs. Man
                      Man vs. God
                      Man vs. Nature
                      Man vs. Machine
                      Man vs. Himself
                      Man vs. Society

All plots in any book can be reduced to its bare minimum that to patent each will cause more havoc in the writing world, and allow only a handful of individuals at least reap the awards of everyone's hard work. If it passes, it will be revoked once the damage is done. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel

Man vs. Man
                        Man vs. God
                        Man vs. Nature
                        Man vs. Machine
                        Man vs. Himself
                        Man vs. Society

I think I see a trend! :)

Comment

Man vs. Man
                          Man vs. God
                          Man vs. Nature
                          Man vs. Machine
                          Man vs. Himself
                          Man vs. Society
                          What about women's fiction, then? :?
                          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Man vs. Man
                            Man vs. God
                            Man vs. Nature
                            Man vs. Machine
                            Man vs. Himself
                            Man vs. Society

And, aren't these Themes, rather than Plots? Overarching devices into which the Plots can be fitted?

And, where are the really big Themes of Love and Death?

Comment

Man vs. gerbil

Comment

Working...
                              X