Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Saddam on trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddam on trial

Interesting to see that Saddam Hussein is only being charged for the murder of 143 villagers of Dujail, despite having a charge sheet the length of a barge pole. Could this be an attempt by the west to distance themselves from their involvement in his crimes against humanity? Absolutely. I'm sure everyone on this site knows the history of the west's involvement, but it was sickening to see the plaudits being heaped on Mrs Thatcher as she celebrated her 80th birthday the other week.

On another note, the violations of trial procedure that seem to be dogging the whole process is another nail in the coffin of the idea of 'western civilization.' Even the Nuremberg defendants got a fair trial.

Now don't get me wrong. Saddam deserves what he gets for what he did, and justice for Saddam should not hide the issue of justice for the victims of Saddam, but I personally believe that those who supplied Saddam with the means to carry out these crimes should also be held accountable. Can't see it happening though. Would be interested to hear what other people think of this issue.

I agree with you. By extension, as an American citizen, I find myself guilty and should have done more to change the state of affairs. Writing my representatives, voting against Bush, speaking out on The Internet, extend goodwill and communicate with friends and co-workers about this stuff has yeilded nothing. I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. What more can I do? The only thing I can think of is to not give up.

I hope that our friends around the world understand that at least half of the USA were against this. Even our elected representatives went against our will. It's a sad state of affairs. This democracy no long works correctly. Even Bush's base is turning against him and the war continues.

I am baffled.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I believe the charge of the 143 murders is the first in what could be a series of charges, but since the Iraqi people and the Bush administration seem to be rooting for the death penalty for Saddam he may be hanged before any more charges can be put forward.

According to the Human Rights lawyer Geoffrey Robinson when he met the Iraqi judges last year (or sometime) they said they would have preferred to have the trial at the Hague* because then they could have had international judges as well as the Iraqi ones, who are in a grey area because they swore their Oaths of Allegiance to Saddam when he was President.

Anyway,the Bush groupies lobbied against moving the trial to the Hague because there's no death penalty there (?), even though most anti-war commentators believe that killing Saddam will just create a martyr.

*Home of the International Court of Law where 'western' war criminals like Milosavic are put on trial.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
      X