Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hillary Clinton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary Clinton

I recently heard alot of talk about Hillary Clinton, alot more that usual.

Do you think she will actually run for president in 2008?

There is a bunch of web sites like this selling that idea:

http://www.cafepress.com/shop/hillar...20051017104335

At the moment, I don't see anyone at all qualified to be President of the United States in 2008.

Some even speculate abot C. Rice running, as the nation stands now, I don't see anyone at all who would vote for her,so anyone who ran against here would get an automatic win in my view of things.

I kinda expect Hary Reid to run for nomination, but I don't see him getting it.

The Bush family might try one of their own again.

That Obama guy who was popular during the last elections might try something, or groom himself for 2012.

I think Idependants or other parties are crushed for good. It will have to be a Democrat or Republican from now on, no one will even attempt to run again like Nader or Perot.

Your thoughts?

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

The best argument I've heard in support of Condoleeza Rice running in '08 is that Giuliani and McCain are both too liberal to get the Republican nomination.

That's a specious argument, though. With most of the country now in agreement that the Bush Administration is a corrupt mess, I can't see Rice being nominated, even if McCain is the best alternative they have.

Comment

I'm thinking that it will be Clinton w/Obama as vp.
      "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

My two cents--

Obama's the future of the party, I suspect, rather than its present.

Condoleza Rice has never run for office. Even if she weren't facing an impossibe-to- defend position as one of the chief architects of the Iraq war and other disasters of Bush's foriegn policy, she is unlikely to be a good candidate because of her inexperience with simply running for office. People said this about Colin Powell, as well, who had far broader appeal than Rice has.

I hope Rudy G. runs, simply for the comedy. Since he is a notorious philanderer, I can't wait to see how he tries to attract the same voters who wanted to crucify Bill Clinton for the same thing. His past is a hard sell to the Christian right, especially since he is pro-choice.

I expect a Democratic primary of Hilary Clinton, Gore, and Kerry.

Comment

Can Kerry promise cars that run on kectup?
          Can Hillary control her husband let alone a country?
          Can Gore not bore?

Sadly none of these would be my choice.. like the last election no real stand outs for the position

Comment

I hear this talk about Obama. Well, I live in Illinois, and I still couldn't tell you anything about him. I'm not sure how he can be the future of the Democrats without creating an image for himself first.

I think that it is a lock that Hillary will run and that Rice won't.

Personally, I'm pulling for McCain.

Comment

Patrick wrote:
              Personally, I'm pulling for McCain.
              I thought about McCain, but I am not so sure that he will decide to run.

He is more balanced out than the other politicians,plus he is a veteran and that will bring him votes.

We need some fresh people in politics so in future elections we have a better variety of candidates.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I've been pulling for McCain since 2000. More than anyone else who has been active in American Politics the last ten years, I like him for President.

But, like Elphaba said, he may not get the Republican vote because of his more liberal views. I hope that's not the case; but, alas, I fear it may be.

Aside from him, I can't say there's really anyone I'm aware of that I'd like to see as President. Certainly not Clinton (although that could be interesting), and if Rice I'd loose all remaining faith I have in the American People. As much as I'd like to see a female president, I just can't think of anyone I like.
                "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

With all the idolatry directed towards the regrettable John McCain, I wonder that no one has brought up his history with respect to support and campaigning for Bush. And this was after Bush's operatives kicked his *ss in public, questioning his "patriotism" (vis. Samuel Johnson's definition of that ugly word) and other things. McCain's history in these respects does not strike me as that of a man of principle.

There are other things about his record that might be examined critically too, of course.

LSN

Comment

A pity Hillary Clinton didn't succeed with her push for national health care. That was the Clintons' biggest failure in office. The insurance industry did a good job of mobilizing money and disinformation against the effort. The congressional voting record against the effort tells a lot about who was in the pay of whom.

The interesting Senator Frist gained his seat in the Senate due (at least in part) to this situation.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                      A pity Hillary Clinton didn't succeed with her push for national health care. That was the Clintons' biggest failure in office. The insurance industry did a good job of mobilizing money and disinformation against the effort. The congressional voting record against the effort tells a lot about who was in the pay of whom.

The interesting Senator Frist gained his seat in the Senate due (at least in part) to this situation.

LSN
                      There's a theory that the Clintons' push for Health Care reform was the one of the main reasons why the Republican Corporate Machine was mobilized so effectively to steamroller the First Couple.

By any means necessary.

Comment

It was almost certainly a factor, on the basis of things I've seen.

LSN

Comment

Two things-

If John K was a flip-flopper, what does that make John M? How do you capture rolling over in a slogan?

The irony about health care is how right the Clinton's were. It is likely to be a Republican issue soon, as health insurance costs are choking corporations. It will be interesting to see the health insurance lobby fighting other corporations.

Comment

When it comes to moral backbone, McCain is virtually an invertebrate. A very expediently (which is to say "opportunistically") moral individual. The idolatry attached to his person is a remarkable achievement of pure spin. I think of him as playing an inept Pompeius Magnus to Bush & Cheney's hedgehoggish Cato.

The situation with public health care in the U.S. is a public disgrace. Those who have stood in its way -- rather than tried to find a way to make it work -- have a great deal to answer for.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                              The irony about health care is how right the Clinton's were. It is likely to be a Republican issue soon, as health insurance costs are choking corporations. It will be interesting to see the health insurance lobby fighting other corporations.
                              The tragedy about health care is that Republicans will deal with the problem by making it possible for companies to get away with tossing out health insurance (as opposed to pressuring the insurance companies to lower their ridiculous profit margins so that insurance is affordable).

Comment

Working...
                              X