Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

DeLay Indicted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little upset about the judge shopping DeLay was allowed to do. Judges are elected in Texas, so it seems very strange that a judge who made donations to a few Democratic candidates and MoveOn.org was removed from the case. Is a Republican judge going to be more fair to him?

Of course, such a removal would not happen in ordinary cases. I think I will request an independent, progressive judge with Green leanings for my next date in traffic court. I don't think it would happen, either. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
      I'm a little upset about the judge shopping DeLay was allowed to do. Judges are elected in Texas, so it seems very strange that a judge who made donations to a few Democratic candidates and MoveOn.org was removed from the case. Is a Republican judge going to be more fair to him?

Of course, such a removal would not happen in ordinary cases. I think I will request an independent, progressive judge with Green leanings for my next date in traffic court. I don't think it would happen, either. :roll:
      actually it happens often, all you need is a good lawyer

and if that upset you, when the venue is changed your really gonna be miffed

Comment

Heard the prosecutor got the Republican replacement judge bounced.
        "A man is no man who cannot have a fried mackerel when he has set his mind on it; and more especially when he has money in his pocket to pay for it." - E.A. Poe's NICHOLAS DUNKS; OR, FRIED MACKEREL FOR DINNER

Comment

The justice system is political by law in Texas, but judges (and prosecuters) don't like to be seen as party operatives and like to downplay their own elections. The venue change will be harder for DeLay, particularly after he stretched state law to get a new judge. DeLay got extraordinary treatment because he was a politician once; I think it would be hard to get it again because of internal politics. Any move out of Travis county (because of perceived political bias) will result in political bias in favor a DeLay. I'm not sure that the Republican-controlled state courts want to be seen as being DeLay operatives, as they face re-election, too.

As an aside, I do find it more than a bit poetic that the original replacement judge was removed (as Talisant notes) because of contributions to Republican candidates.

Comment

So now DeLay's lawyers want the charges against him tossed out or at least have the venue moved. What I love is the blatant hypocrisy:

DeLay's attorneys... want to have the trial moved from liberal- leaning Austin, where they say he cannot get a fair trial, to his home county of Fort Bend.
            So... they don't actually want a fair trial. They want to move the trial from a location in which they claim he will not be treated fairly to some other location which is likely to be unfairly in his favor.

SOURCE: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/22/D8E1K6E00.html
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Jurors

Let's just hope that he is not able to get a jury of his peers.

Comment

The complicatd issue of the coming trial involves Texas election statutes. Apparently, laundering "checks" was not specifically prohibited by law at the time DeLay did it. Ronnie Earle (the DA)--and many legal experts--find that the law which specified checks simply clarified existing law. DeLay's largest claim is that you can't convinct him under a law that wasn't passed when he did something wrong.

DeLay's lawyers have not denied that he essentially laundered money. They admit that they sent checks to the RNC and received checks back from the RNC in equal amounts. Their defense is claiming that passing checks between two different accounts is not laundering money.

It seems to me that if I take a dollar out of my right pocket and put it into my left...

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                  They admit that they sent checks to the RNC and received checks back from the RNC in equal amounts. Their defense is claiming that passing checks between two different accounts is not laundering money.
                  :scratch: Hmm, maybe they need to pick up their dictionary more often:

Originally posted by Dictionary.com
                  launآ·der v tr.
                  2. To disguise the source or nature of (illegal funds, for example) by channeling through an intermediate agent.
                  Is some part of that definition confusing? Are they claiming this is not what they were doing?

This is yet another case of Republicans knowing that what they were doing is completely wrong, but trying to justify it with a technicality.
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran

This is yet another case of Republicans knowing that what they were doing is completely wrong, but trying to justify it with a technicality.
                    Which is an outrage when Clinton does it, as is lying under oath.

Is this the hypocrisy thread?

Comment

Working...
                    X