Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Chavez wants to sell cheap oil to the US poor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chavez wants to sell cheap oil to the US poor

Hugo Chأ،vez made that hilarious move some time ago but it hasn't been discussed here...

In an exclusive interview yesterday, the Venezuelan leader said his country will soon start to ship heating oil and diesel fuel at below market prices to poor communities and schools in the United States.

"We will begin with a pilot project in Chicago on Oct. 14, in a Mexican-American community," said Chavez, who was in town for the United Nations sessions. "We will then expand the program to New York and Boston in November."

The first New York neighborhood in the program will be the South Bronx, where Chavez was to speak today as a guest of Rep. Jose Serrano.

The Venezuelan leader revealed details of the new oil-for-the-poor program during a wide-ranging interview at the upper East Side home of his country's UN ambassador.

"If you want to eliminate poverty, you have to empower the poor, not treat them as beggars," Chavez said.
    I can only :notworthy: to that guy, however wary I may be of him.

I wasn't aware of this Mord. Thanks for the info. Well, if the White House won't look after it's own citizens...

Comment

Talk about taking the high road! Religious freaks like Pat Robertson publicly state Chavez should be assassinated and he turns around and does things like offering aid in the wake of Katrina and offering super-cheap fuel to poor American communities.

"If you want to eliminate poverty, you have to empower the poor, not treat them as beggars," Chavez said.
      Hmm, that's a very different attitude that what I'm seeing from Bush and his cronies. How is it that a communist dictator cares more about America's poor than the US president does? Consider:

Originally posted by Janet Pelz for the Seattle P-I
      The neoconservatives had sold us their theory -- each of us should take care of ourselves. Citizens (at least those morally upstanding enough to be wealthy) could do better for ourselves than the government could do for us. They touted the ownership society, where we privatize our own piece of Social Security. They advocated that each of us pay for our own health care rather than requiring our employers to contribute. They rejected environmental regulation at the expense of what we could do with our own property.
      SOURCE: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinio...tperson19.html

Bush would have you believe we can really count on America's rich people to help out their poor neighbors and that this is a better plan than having the government make sure the poor are taken care of.

Plenty of money for wars; no money for the nation's poor. That's Republicans for you.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Has there been any comment from the White House about what they think of his offer? I don't know a great deal about politics in the US (or worldwide for that matter :oops: ) but didn't some of the big oil companies fund Bush's presidential campaigns? I can't imagine them being too happy about Chavez's suggestion.

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
        Plenty of money for wars; no money for the nation's poor.
        'Send poor to fight wars - eliminate poverty and get free oil'

Could this be Bush's logic?

Comment

Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
          Has there been any comment from the White House about what they think of his offer?
          I suspect it was a similar response to what was made to Cuba's offer of doctors. :roll:
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I had a feeling that it would be something like that, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

Operation human shield! Let's send the poor and homeless to the war.

Then we can get rid of the poor and have cheaper oil for all the hummers and suv's that are in America. Cause you know we don't want to come up with an alternative to gas cause that would take are whole reason away from being in a war.

Comment

Working...
              X