Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mars !?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars !?!?

Corum said something about this in my multiverse creator topic and Iآ´d like to read your point of view too (and I mean all of you).
    Anybody with a little common sense or...whatever, would obviously never spend I donآ´t remember how much in a space program when you are the most powerfull nation in a world where people die starving every day. As always, it doesnآ´t really matter to anyone "in charge". I mean, you got to stop caring about lots of things to get there, right?
    Anyway, the future possibilities are infinite and not-so-pesimistic replies will be very wellcome. :roll:

Tidal Coupling in the Earth-Moon System

Thus, the fact that the rotational period of the Moon and the orbital period of the Earth-Moon system are of the same length is not an accident. Presumably this was not always true, but over billions of years the tidal coupling of the Earth and the Moon has led to this synchronization. In the case of the Earth-Moon system the synchronization is not yet complete. The Earth is slowly decreasing its rotational period and eventually the Earth and Moon will have exactly the same rotational period, and these will also exactly equal the orbital period. At the same time, the separation between the Earth and Moon will slowly increase in just such a way as to conserve angular momentum for the entire system.

Thus, billions of years from now the Earth will always keep the same face turned toward the Moon, just as the Moon already always keeps the same face turned toward the Earth. We will encounter other examples of such tidal locking in other pairs of objects in the Solar System.

Source: WEB SYLLABUS Dept. Physics & Astronomy University of Tennessee
    URL: http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/moon/tidal.html
    We'll be fucking in outer space.
    Last edited by Jerry Cornelius; 06-25-2006, 07:22 PM.
    "Jerry Cornelius was based, for instance, on a young man I used to see around Notting Hill where there was also a greengrocer called Cornelius of London."

--Michael Moorcock

Comment

As W S Burroughs would say we are here to go.
      I don't think whether we go in to space or not will stop pepole starving, as someone said on another thread we live in an idiot capitalist system. Going in to space could help produce some better food that is really efficent to grow, lets hope we never get soylent green though.
      I am so disappointed that we did not go to Mars this time, I know we have the technology, just no one with the money has the will power, one radio controlled car ain't much really.
      It worries me what a mess we could make when we get to space.
      What are you here for ? Here to go.
      MEEP !

Comment

"Hmmmmmm.................. Soylent green...."

Homer Simpson

Comment

You know all that money we spend on the military ever year - trillions of dollars? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.
          - Bill Hicks
          ...problems sorted!

Comment

Working...
          X