Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Christmas is coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas is coming

I've just been shopping and found, to my surprise, that my local Tesco's has begun to display Christmas products on their shelves. I recall from my childhood that Christmas things didn't appear until early November. This year, the kids have been back to school for a week, at the most, before the beginnings of a breakout from Santa's grotto.

Is it just me or does it seem a little too early to be promoting Christmas? I'd be interested in to know how early things start outside of the UK. Is it just us who have given in to rampant consumerism?

I don't think there should be a mandate or anything, but I find it annoying to see Xmas decorations up before Thanksgiving (obviously, I'm in the states) and I suppose that extends to Xmas merchandise as well.

What recently got me thinking about the timing of merchandising was when Wal*Mart started running Back-To-School ads on TV just two weeks after summer vacation had started.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

It seems that Christmas starts earlier each year. We have no kids so we tend to take holidays late June & early September so when we come back off our late summer hols we're into Christmas marketting. It's a pain.
      Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Speaking of Wal-Mart, I walked past a large collection of autumn coloured dinner ware and glasses then saw some Halloween costumes,next I rounded the corner and saw jolly Ole St. Nick and some Christmas trees to my astonishment! haha. It was still August at the time.

I vote for no law, but stores could use some common sense and not place it so soon, but either way,it never drives the consumers away. It does not give us time to enjoy each Holiday as they come. Next they will invent a few more holidays so retailers can promote them too when things are slow,haha. One holiday that I would vote to establish though would be Banapis like in the Raymond E. Feist novels where everyone celebrates their birthday on the same day! hehe.

(That could have been St. Odrhan I saw, it was on of the Saints anyway.)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          Wal*Mart started running Back-To-School ads on TV just two weeks after summer vacation had started.
          Heh! I noticed that our local department store was putting up their "back to school" signs dang early too. Give the kids a chance! So cruel.

I have started thinking about presents, but they're for a Jewish friend of mine whose birthday is around that time as well... so I have to think doubly hard (technically I guess I should get...er... ten presents? But she's not that strict).

Christmas as a festival bores me, but I'm a sucker for alternative Christmas music. I have three albums featuring "Hawaiian" versions of classic carols. Why? I don't know. It amuses my tiny, tiny mind. :)
          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
            Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
            Wal*Mart started running Back-To-School ads on TV just two weeks after summer vacation had started.
            Heh! I noticed that our local department store was putting up their "back to school" signs dang early too. Give the kids a chance! So cruel.
            I've also had the experience of Easter coming around far too soon. The day after Christmas we went to the local shopping centre to catch a movie (and to escape the horrible drivel that seems to make up much of the holiday season TV programming) and found Cadbury's Creme Eggs on display in a newsagent's window. Since everywhere was closed on Christmas day, they must have been wheeled out on Christmas Eve. :roll:

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
            I have three albums featuring "Hawaiian" versions of classic carols.
            8) Do they do a version of 'Mistletoe and Wine?' Not that I like the song, but I think it would be funny to hear this UK Christmas classic given a make-over.

Comment

I really do hate the marketing ploy Christmas has become. Its nice to give people gifts but when you're being bombarded with adverts telling you to give your friends the latest rubbish thats being sold for Christmas when its still August or September then something is seriously wrong! I suppose some people must start their Christmas shopping this early though.

Comment

On the plus side (because there are always two sides to everything :)) starting these 'promotions' earlier *does* give people the opportunity of spreading their budgets rather than having to splurge out in a single month (and running the not-inconsiderable risk of putting themselves into almighty debt). Now, contrawise people could always *save* up in the months prior to Christmas, kind of like the old-fashioned Christmas Fund where you paid a small amount of money each week and then took delivery of a big fat goose on Christmas Eve, and then these ridiculously early starts wouldn't be necessary.

But we all know that People aren't always as rational, sensible or strong-willed as that.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                X