Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Best Marx Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Marx Book?

Just in the mood for ordering books. So I figured i oughta buy some of K. Marx books. Which ones are a necessary reading? And what version is best?

I think your best bet is to start off with an anthology (I've never got much further...) This is the best I've seen: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Otherwise, the real starting point I guess is The Manifesto of the Communist Party.
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

You could browse the Marx and Engels Archive and decide for yourself. They have all their works in full text.
      i wouldn't recommend Marx at all, unless you are very familiar with modern theories - these are more useful IMO.

Comment

The Manifesto is great, but a little misleading. Marx (and Engels) were capturing party ideology, rather than their own ideas.

The Economic Manuscripts of 1844 are vital, but is relatively hard to read, especially if you've never read Marx. Theses on Fuerbach is an interesting read, because it contains some of Marx's early ideas. Avoid Capital, as it is unfinished.

I would recommend getting a reader. There are several good ones on the second hand market.

Comment

Read "Memoirs of a Revolutionist" by Kropotkin. He was an early anachist. They considered Marx a lunatic. Try reading Ayne Rand. Rand will give you a counter balance to Marxism. Try reading something by Friedman. Marx would have drank himself to death and died under a bridge if Engels hadn't supported him.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by helmeteye
              Try reading Ayne Rand.
              To quote our patron:

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
              She's crap. Third rate reasoning, dreadful cardboard characters in her fiction. She started a cult a few years ago which had some of the characteristics of Scientology....
              [link expired]

(That's just a single link, but her name has come up in a number of threads)
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Ayn Rand is one of the main sources of inspiration for the world my story in PX is set in....

Comment

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard23.html

Well a society based on Objectivism and pure egoism is just stupid and will fall apart. Although I have some beef with marx and I think altruism and solidarity isn't enough for a human society. I'd side with marx anyday. Popper has a better critique against marxism than Rand could conjure up.

Comment

Ayn Rand is Ron Hubbard in drag.

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                      Ayn Rand is Ron Hubbard in drag.
                      Nice one! Maybe 'Xenu' knows the whole truth about that!?
                      :lol:

Comment

I agree with much of the critique of Rand. M's description is part of the reason that Rand is so hard to read. Very boring. I do however agree with her economic ideas.
                        Try Walter E Williams then or Friedman.
                        Milton Friedman: www.adamsmith.org/friedman/

Comment

I've already read him, thanks. And Hayek. And Mises. And Rothbard. Bring'em on.
                          "Her economic ideas" are pseudoscience. Self-referential axiomatic reasoning based on a priori premises, that never gets to be tested because these people need to deny all relevance to real-world data to keep their intelectual constructs running in the void of their fantasy world.

Comment

I agree with much of the critique of Rand. M's description is part of the reason that Rand is so hard to read. Very boring. I do however agree with her economic ideas.
                            Try Walter E Williams then or Friedman.
                            Milton Friedman: www.adamsmith.org/friedman/
                            One of the big problems with economists and econimcs is the limited scope of their vision - though dangerously they sem to believe that their models capture everything. Friedman is one of the worst, Keynes is worrying. Galbraith is quite good though...

Marx went further than what Marxism would have you belive. For a post ecomics view of the world check out some of Hazel Henderson. Her "Politics for the Solar Age" concisely dissects economics as well as having a quite succinct description of Marx's theories.
                            Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
                            Bakunin

Comment

Marx would have drank himself to death and died under a bridge if Engels hadn't supported him.
                              We all need an Engels. Where's mine? :lol:
                              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Working...
                              X