Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Helkern Attacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jules
    replied
    I think we'll see a full-on tragedy of the commons - and all those people who said the Internet is the CB radio of the 90s may be (eventually) proved right.

Like stopping information piracy, it is fundamentally impossible to secure the Internet. The solution to both will be the creation of a locked down proprietary network. Internet 1 will continue to exist, but will be like the early 90s - the preserve of academics, students, IT geeks, the Free Software community, and those who interests (political, sexual, musical, etc) won't be catered for in the commercially gated world of Internet 2. It will be a slightly disreputable place.

Already, if X-Box Live connected into a Virtual Mall with Amazon and Ebay, a whole lot of people wouldn't care about what they lost . . . except the ability to download pirated music and video. And within 5-10 years, no machine is going to play unlicenced content without being 'chipped' or modded (a la Sony Playstation) anyway, which will reduce that back to a small minority.

I think the info-libertarians have got it wrong - the uneforcability of DRM will bring about the end of the 'free' internet, rather than the recognition that copyright is flawed and unenforcable.

And an unsecure virus-ridden network is the 'stick' that will drive people onto the new network. No conspiracy theories needed - the government is not writing viruses - as said at the start, it is a tragedy of the commons - give someone something for free and they will piss all over it.

Leave a comment:

• Theocrat
    replied
    Originally posted by Jules
    And an unsecure virus-ridden network is the 'stick' that will drive people onto the new network. No conspiracy theories needed - the government is not writing viruses - as said at the start, it is a tragedy of the commons - give someone something for free and they will piss all over it.
    "Something given has no meaning".. Is that what you are saying..
    It's more like something taken anyway.

I'll write more tommorow..

*Sleepy*

Leave a comment:

• Theocrat
    started a topic Helkern Attacks?

Helkern Attacks?

I'm glad I switched to security sofeware to 'Kaspersky' from Bullguard.

http://www.net-security.org/virus_news.php?id=174

I wonder how things really will look in the future?
    Will it be 'internet for the rich' only, or what?

Sidenote:
    I read Swedish economists are screaming for Keynesianism again.
    And I just say... Well... Duhhh!
Working...
X