Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What conservative find dangerous (Or new required reading)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doc
    Doc
    Eternal Champion
    Doc
    Eternal Champion
    • Jan 2004

I don't want to spend too much time in the heads of the people who put together this list, but I do question how anyone--even one making a ridiculous political statement--could find Dewey nearly as harmful (their term) as Hitler.

I think LSN is accurate in how this list reflects many layers of anti-intellectualism on the part of the people who compiled the list, as well as the people who identify with them. I would add that these people probably find Adorno's Authoritarian Personality to be threatening only because it renders some of their own tactics transparent.

I also agree with LSN's allusion to how these "scholars'" ommisions also reveal how they don't fully understand the ideas they attack. I think it is funny, for instance, that they include Foucault's Madness and Civilization when his Discipline and Punish and The History of Sexuality are more dangerous to the agenda of the compilers of the list.

Ahem.. I don't want to repeat what LSN pointed out, nor do I want to point out texts that better represent the "harmful" positions.

Regardless, it is insight into the minds of the people steering the US. If this is steering, I cannot help but feel like a passenger on The Titanic.

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
      DeeCrowSeer
      Eternal Champion
      DeeCrowSeer
      Eternal Champion
      • Feb 2004

Sadly I only own one of the books mentioned on the list (Second Sex), and that only got an "honorable mention... although I was checking out The Feminine Mystique after it was mentioned in the teen comedy Ten Things I Hate About You, which I suppose could now be considered "harmful" by association? Marx, Adorno, Gramsci and Foucault all came up during my degree in American Studies, oddly enough... I think I probably escaped unscathed from exposure to such dangerous texts by virtue of not really understanding them at the time. I still have all the notes and photocopies in boxes somewhere though, so the possibility of my innocence remains... 8O
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

• Theocrat
        Theocrat
        Eternal Companion
        Theocrat
        Eternal Companion
        • Dec 2003

Capitalism is the 'enemy of the open society'!

Comment

• Doc
          Doc
          Eternal Champion
          Doc
          Eternal Champion
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
          Marx, Adorno, Gramsci and Foucault all came up during my degree in American Studies, oddly enough...
          In the context of this thread, I don't have to point out how ironic it is that such work is the foundation of American Studies, particulary in a program at a non-American university. For what it's worth, they are foundational to American programs, as well.

Of course, when you consider the scholars' European backgrounds, you capture another layer of irony.

As for your innocence, Dee, you're far too late to consider it. Your studies have already placed you on the American conservative "dangerous" list. Whether you understood what you read or not. :D

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
            DeeCrowSeer
            Eternal Champion
            DeeCrowSeer
            Eternal Champion
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Doc
            As for your innocence, Dee, you're far too late to consider it. Your studies have already placed you on the American conservative "dangerous" list. Whether you understood what you read or not. :D
            :( Well that's really not fair. If I testify against the rest of you, do you think they'll let me off?

"Under the spreading chestnut tree..."

Comment

• Theocrat
              Theocrat
              Eternal Companion
              Theocrat
              Eternal Companion
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Jules
              Wonder what's on the approved list? Michael Crighton novels?

That moron from the Chicago school whose little economic experiment in Argentina has ended in tears (and thankfully nailed shut to coffin of monetarism for good).

Adam Smith would be a no brainer.

(I love the fact that economic conservatives were complaining that Adam Smith's grave has been left to go to ruin while Marx's is well preserved. None of them have offered to fund it - they seem to expect the state to pay for it).

I wonder what would have happened if K. Marx and A. Smith had met?
              Would they be good friends and complement and share their ideas?
              Or would they start a ferocious argument?

Comment

• mordenkainen
                mordenkainen
                Eternal Companion
                mordenkainen
                Eternal Companion
                • Dec 2004

Reading time!

1. The Communist Manifesto
                2. Mein Kampf
                3. Quotations from Chairman Mao
                4. The Kinsey reports (extracts)
                5. Democracy and Education
                6. Das Kapital
                7. The Feminine Mystique, chapter 1 chapter 2
                9. Beyond good and evil
                10. The general theory of employment, Interest, and Money

Couldn't find the Course of Positive Philosophy in english. The Feminine mystique and the Kensey reports are still copyrighted, full text is therefore unavailable online.

Comment

• Jules
                  Jules
                  Eternal Companion
                  Jules
                  Eternal Companion
                  • Jan 2004

Wonder what's on the approved list? Michael Crighton novels?

That moron from the Chicago school whose little economic experiment in Argentina has ended in tears (and thankfully nailed shut to coffin of monetarism for good).

Adam Smith would be a no brainer.

(I love the fact that economic conservatives were complaining that Adam Smith's grave has been left to go to ruin while Marx's is well preserved. None of them have offered to fund it - they seem to expect the state to pay for it).

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                    Pietro_Mercurios
                    Only Slightly Unbalanced
                    Pietro_Mercurios
                    Only Slightly Unbalanced
                    • Oct 2004

They seem to have time for the views of Anne Coulter.

At least that other, female, blonde, pin up, propagandist of the FarRight, Lenni Riefenstahl, was a charmer, with definite talent. Coulter reminds me more of the fembot, liquid metal, killing machine from Terminator 3.

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
                      DeeCrowSeer
                      Eternal Champion
                      DeeCrowSeer
                      Eternal Champion
                      • Feb 2004

Unfortunately I can't read the name Coulter without thinking of the beautiful-but-evil, child-snatching lady from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy... I wonder if there's a connection?

She is kinda pretty, but you can imagine being out on a date and getting bad service in a restaurant, prompting her to storm in to the kitchen and convert everyone to Christianity... because apparently that fixes everything! :roll:

Comment

• Theocrat
                        Theocrat
                        Eternal Companion
                        Theocrat
                        Eternal Companion
                        • Dec 2003

Conservatives should find me dangerous!

http://files2.helgon.net/Gallery/{49B/{49BF2356-D61E-4D04-A3BD-32E72A0A80D1}.jpg

Comment

• Mikey_C
                          Mikey_C
                          Champion of the Balance
                          Mikey_C
                          Champion of the Balance
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Theocrat
                          Conservatives should find me dangerous!

http://files2.helgon.net/Gallery/{49B/{49BF2356-D61E-4D04-A3BD-32E72A0A80D1}.jpg
                          Yes, but you're not as tasty as Anne Coulter!

\"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

• Pietro_Mercurios
                            Pietro_Mercurios
                            Only Slightly Unbalanced
                            Pietro_Mercurios
                            Only Slightly Unbalanced
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                            Unfortunately I can't read the name Coulter without thinking of the beautiful-but-evil, child-snatching lady from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy... I wonder if there's a connection?

She is kinda pretty, but you can imagine being out on a date and getting bad service in a restaurant, prompting her to storm in to the kitchen and convert everyone to Christianity... because apparently that fixes everything! :roll:
                            That'd be her.

More like, you'd wake up the next morning in the Hilton Hotel, Presidential Suite, to find yourself in the bath, surrounded by melting ice cubes, with your kidneys missing and your wallet emptied.

And, the suite would be on your tab. 8O

Comment

• Doc
                              Doc
                              Eternal Champion
                              Doc
                              Eternal Champion
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jules

Ironic in so many ways. They probably also want the state to erect memorials to Reagan and Thatcher (good use of public money) while cutting public assistance (waste of public money and enabler of all things bad in society) :? :roll:

Conservatives often accuse progressives of tilting at windmills because of support of symbolic causes. Such causes seem to be unimportant until they are symbolic of something like Smith. I could rant about the selective iconography of conservatism, but I'll hold it in check. The list certainly gives a great deal of insight into what is not sacred.

Also- Thanks for that list, mordenkainen! Awesome links!

Comment

• mordenkainen
                                mordenkainen
                                Eternal Companion
                                mordenkainen
                                Eternal Companion
                                • Dec 2004

My modest contribution to the corruption of western culture (or is it the White race?)

oh, and #2 is an interesting but dispensable read..... :roll:

Comment

Working...
                                X