Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

British Court Kindly Paves Way for Child Rapist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mordenkainen
    Eternal Companion
    • Dec 2004

oh, I guess he'll get a symbolic victory, as LSN suggested. And then he'll probably find out that it was a bad idea to draw attention to that story again.
    f* him.

Comment

• Doc
      Doc
      Eternal Champion
      • Jan 2004

Thanks for the link, LSN-

Good context. I had forgotten Nicholson's involvement. Maybe he can't handle the truth! :)

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
        Flesh Bag of Mostly Water
        • Mar 2004

M-hm, don't get me started. I've lost all respect for Nicholson as well as Harrison Ford, both of whom are friends of Polanskis and still hang with him.

Personally, I don't care how good of a friend of mine you are, if you rape someone, you gain my eternal disgust.
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

• Doc
          Doc
          Eternal Champion
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
          M-hm, don't get me started. I've lost all respect for Nicholson as well as Harrison Ford, both of whom are friends of Polanskis and still hang with him.

Personally, I don't care how good of a friend of mine you are, if you rape someone, you gain my eternal disgust.
          I certainly value loyalty, but there are some lines that I won't cross in the name of loyalty. It is odd how things can become non-issues in friendships, but I think that would always be the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Doc
            ...that would always be the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
            I'd be regularly going, "Dude, how COULD you!? You're plain sick!" Then I'd have to get the hell away from him. There's just no way I could be friends with a rapist. No way I could let that go.

Comment

• mordenkainen
              Eternal Companion
              • Dec 2004

Well, you know, statutory rape is a somewghat dodgy notion, and then one has to consider the specific circumstances of the case and....er...hey....relax,dude....was just kidding....er, c'm'on, the sound of that sword makes me nervous...

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
                • Mar 2004

Knew a guy once who had gotten with an underage girl, but didn't know she was underage. She certainly didn't look underage. In his own defense he said, "What, I'm supposed to card chicks now before I bed them?"

I said, "It would appear so."

Statutory rape is indeed a dodgy situation. I'm not sure I agree with the idea that a fifteen year old is incapable of consenting to sex. I guess it's intent on the older person's part. If one knowingly has sex with a minor, plying her with alcohol and drugs to achieve his goals, that's definitely wrong.

In Polanski's case, there is the added fact the girl didn't want to have sex with him at all. Further, he did something to her most women won't let their husbands do. So, you know, the guys a sicko freak. No way in hell I could ever be a friend to someone like that.

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Feb 2004

Having thought about the implications of what I was saying/tapping, I can see I may have got carried away. A crime is a crime, even if it's committed against a criminal... and now I'm getting flashbacks to Fritz Lang's M!

The only libel trial I actually know anything about is Oscar Wilde's, having recently read the published transcripts. Legally all Oscar has to do was disprove the specific allegation "published" against him, which is what he did... unfortuantely, the trial brought the media spotlight on to his life, with well documented and dire consequences. Even if Polanski wins his case, and "clears his name", the articles announcing his victory will still refer to his actual crime, so I doubt it will do him any favours. But, as our legal team here at MM have pointed out, and as Oscar may have believed, it isn't the stupidity of bringing a case that matters but the legal merits of the case itself... at least for now... come the Dorset Revolution, there will certainly be some changes made. I am the law, etc.

On a highly judgemental and anecdotal kick, a friend of a friend started dating one of his pupils. She was 17 at the time, so it was totally legal, but I still find it a tad creepy. Still, they seemed pretty happy together, and I know he hadn't used hypnosis or anything... and of course, I was dateless at out mutual friend's wedding, so it may just be sour grapes on my part!
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

• Mikey_C
                    Champion of the Balance
                    • May 2004

Mia Farrow's spoken for him in court. Seems a bit odd seeing her reaction to ex-hubby Woody Allen's consenting relationship with her adopted daughter (i.e. accusing him of being a child molester). Still, don't these people lead odd lives?
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

• David Mosley
                      Eternal Administrator
                      • Jul 2004

Polanski wins آ£50,000 in damages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/4706619.stm
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                      X