Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Harry Potter Injunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HawkLord
    The type is HUGE!
    I guess this is one of those things that if a book looks nice and fat the publishers feel able to get away with slapping an appropriately 'value-for-money' price tag on it, ie آ£16.99. Of course, with all the discounting that goes on these days - ever since the NET Book Agreement was smashed some years ago - you'll possibly pay the more 'realistic' price of آ£8.49 anyway.

I always used to notice that Mike's paperbacks sometimes used a really small font size - I think The Eternal Champion novel from Mayflower was once such case in point - so although you only had 150-odd pages, you actually got more 'bang for your buck' as it were, because the type was so dense.

How times change, eh?
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Yeah I think its a terrible waste of paper having the type so big. I wonder what the reasons really were behind such a large font. I suppose they would say its so that kids can read it easier or something stupid like that.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkLord
        Yeah I think its a terrible waste of paper having the type so big. I wonder what the reasons really were behind such a large font. I suppose they would say its so that kids can read it easier or something stupid like that.
        I recall when I was 'growing up' (my wife would argue that I've still got a lot of 'growing up' to do :)) that you eventually reached an age where there was a stigma attached to you if you were still reading books with 'big children's writing' rather than 'normal adult writing'. It was a kind of rite of passage when you made the transistion from kids books to 'proper' books.

A propos the HP novels, I know they do a 'children's edition' and an 'adults edition' but since they both have the same number of pages I'm assuming that the adult version is just the children's version with a more sophisticated dust jacket wrapped around the outside. :(

A propos of nothing much, I had the opportunity of buying the first HP paperback - in either childrens or grown-up editions - for the princely sum of آ£1.50 in some bargain bucket or other at the weekend. Somehow I just couldn't bring myself to do it. :P
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by demos99
          Whatever happened to taking your time and savouring a book?
          Well, assuming I live to be 80 and that it takes me a week to read an average sized book, and I can only expect to read another 2548 books before I kick the bucket. :(

Comment

I tend to read books quickly because thats just the speed that I read. I take it all in as well. Usually what happens is I'll start a book and then get so hooked on it that I won't want to put it down, then get to the end and wish I'd taken a bit more time because I miss the story.
            I just want to read as many books as I can!

Comment

Working...
            X