Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Reporter Jailed in USA, Not in Africa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporter Jailed in USA, Not in Africa!

I am surprised that nobody here at "Seasoned Rebate" reacts to the Judith Miller Case ...
    The NYT reporter has been sent to jail for bravely putting the interests of democracy ahead of her personal liberty. She has prevented further compromising of the media with the government and thereby defied an administration that prefers to "embed" journalists or tends to "manage" the press with threats of retribution, if necessary. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/politics/07leak.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4654969.stm

Should the case be controversial, if I have got something wrong, let's hear it please!
    If one of our reporters had been gaoled in a "Third World" country the outcry would have been more notable.
    Google ergo sum

Sadly, it is true, LEtranger. It's a point of conflict with me because the revelation acquired by the investigation in which she refused to testify was so bloody important. (See the [broken link]Plame thread.)

I hate to see this sort of thing happen. I hate to see important information acquired through the violation of civil rights. The government has no right to make the reporter give up her sources. I just would have hoped she'd do that out of the goodness in her own heart...
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I'm with PWV on this one--I'm strangely excited by what was revealed, but I deplore the method (and the messengers). I posted a few thoughts on the Plame thread.

I think shieid laws are important, and I see a federal one being enacted in the very near future. However, I think that we've eroded the line between journalsists, commentators, and attack dogs, I'm not sure how or to whom we can apply such a law. Novak isn't exactly a journalist in the typical sense--he writes for a newspaper, and that's about all he has in common with most reporters who would use (and need) a shield law. It's also not surprising that: 1) Rove used him for the leak 2) He becomes a journalist, not a "conservative critic and commentator" only when he needs a place to hide.

Comment

Working...
      X