Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Whats Happening In Mother London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats Happening In Mother London?

Hey guys!

Anything to report about whats happening in London concerning "terrorist bombings" of the transport grid?

Try http://news.bbc.co.uk/ for up to date news.

Time table of events is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659331.stm

Map of affected areas:

More information at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Lo...ort_explosions
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

It is not really a surprise that such a thing would happen. Big cities are so difficult to control and are extremely vulnerable. One can only be happy the terrorists did not use any "dirtier" weapons like bacteria, chemicals or radioactive stuff. I very much admire the Londoners who, I'm sure, will stick together and show the world (once again) that courage and London are pretty synonymous.
      No news yet from my own niece and cousin who live there, but I am confident deep down they have been lucky.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Dear god. I hope none of our readers have been affected, and my deepest sympathies go out to the affected families. What a horror!
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Letranger - we can only hope that they <u>didn't</u> use any of those things.

I liked the war pensioner on the news, on his way to a reunion - 'well, we've seen it before haven't we'. Let us hope that one day, no one will ever have to say that about war and terrorism.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
            Dear god. I hope none of our readers have been affected, and my deepest sympathies go out to the affected families. What a horror!
            My wife is stuck down there. She went for some business meetings. She must have been on one of the last trains to get into Kings Cross, if she'd got an earlier train she'd have been on one of the Underground trains bombed. At least I know she's safe, she's got a hotel room & only has to make her way home tomorrow. As an aside, it just reinforces my dislike of organised religion of whatever flavour. The attitude that "God told me to do it" makes any atrocity O.K. is so disgusting I'm lost for words.
            Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Indeed - where's the atheist representative been on the news.

Then again, anarchists and communists have had their terrorist eras- that bloody Messiah complex won't go away.

I was glad to see someone on the news mention Transport for London had a car-sharing link.

http://www.liftshare.com/

What would have been a step further would have been to set up specified routes in and out of the center and asked for people in the suburbs to run voluntary taxis. I'd have done it personally if I was in the area.

The water taxis have been free too.

Comment

This is just plain horrible.
                I also add all my sympathy to all those affected.

Luckily your wife is safe, Silverhand.
                LEtranger, I truly hope your niece and cousin are safe and sound as well.

I was shocked when I turned the TV on and casually discovered the whole thing.

The "dأ©jأ -vu" feeling was already horrifying in itself.

I still cannot understand how one can do such things. I mean, intellectually, I do... but I just can't seem to accept such scorn for human life.
                “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

London

My sympathies. London will be in my thoughts.

I guess the terrorists get so brain-washed that they have no idea what the real world is,they only know what they are told in their small realities. It is terrible what they have done. I can't think of any way to stop people like that from wanting to murder us. To think about killing others all the time is pure insanity. An average person would have other things on thier mind,like their jobs,friends,family and living their lives,the terrorist only think of ending their lives and other lives. Things like that just don't make sense. Another thing that don't make sense are when countries like India and Afghanistan,North Korea and Iran build and test nuclear weapons, didn't anybody learn anything from the Cold War and all wars for that matter? Now we have to worry about all that nuclear waste and weapons getting in the hands of the terrorits.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Well if it was muslim fundamentalists, may Saladin turn in his grave.
                    My sympathies go to the british.

I hope it doesn't turn into a segregational wave against muslims in general. I hope fear doesn't win over the british who just 60 years ago lay in ruأ­ns.

I wonder how the White House, with their current policies, might use this?
                    That is what is getting me worried. And that fear and paranioa will set itself in europe once again.

Peace!
                    /Jonas

Comment

I've emailed everyone I know - pretty much all of them live/work around that rough area - and I used to train into Liverpool St everyday when I was back in the UK.

Not the best news to wake up to - I got 5 minutes before I had to leave for work this morning to read a couple of news stories to get a feel for what had happened.

So far - I've had a few people get back to me and let me know that they're ok. One friend of mine is looking at sleeping in his office tonight, as he can't get out of the Docklands.
                      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken

So far - I've had a few people get back to me and let me know that they're ok. One friend of mine is looking at sleeping in his office tonight, as he can't get out of the Docklands.
                        Now! That is scary! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkhios
                          LEtranger, I truly hope your niece and cousin are safe and sound as well.

I was shocked when I turned the TV on and casually discovered the whole thing.
                          Thank you Bakkhios, they are all well. Only the phones were down. But somehow she managed to communicate with her father in Paris (my niece is half French) and so I found out.
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

@LEtranger: that's great, thank God. I'm glad to know they are safe.
                            My friends and friends' friends and families are all well as far as I know.

@Theocrat: from what I have seen on the news, it doesn't look like it will turn into a segregational wave against Muslims in general.
                            The Londoners are all incredibly calm and cool. They all stand together and unite, from whatever religious or philosophical background, condemning terrorism and carrying on.
                            I remember one lady saying (more or less): "it might be the muslim fundamentalists or not, but I think the people who did that are not Londoners. We have to go on and unite."

So, no mass hysteria, no collective racist retaliation; so far, nope. Only unity and great coolness.

Maybe it's too soon to tell, but until now the Londoners are an example to us all in such a situation.
                            “Because,” she said, “there are better dreams.” - the Sea Lady (H.G. Wells)

Comment

I think something like 30% of the population of London are non UK citizens - from refugees to Russian mafioso to Australian gap year workers to East European nannies - to a huge Muslim community. If you wanted to strike at British citizens, you couldn't have picked a worse place in Britain.

It really has been business as usual this morning - as if it was a disaster rather than an attack. I guess that's another thing - what with the Kings Cross fire, Potters Bar crash, etc, many people already feel they're taking a daily risk travelling to London.

As one guy put it, it's still a one in million chance it's going to be you - and with 10 million Londoners that's nearly true.

Comment

Working...
                              X