Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

2nd Lt. Says War Is Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Lt. Says War Is Lost

http://www.militaryproject.org/article.asp?id=601
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

There are a lot of comparisons being made to Vietnam. And while there are certainly many similarities, it's important that we not flatter Bush by comparing him to the likes of Kennedy or Johnson. No matter how misguided the US involvement in Vietnam was, that debacle was absolutely nothing compared to the farse the Iraq war has become. Having recently seen The Fog of War in which Robert McNamara gets very candid about Vietnam, I fully believe the US had the best of intentions in the beginning but reacted to bad intel and fear. Not so in Iraq. As the Downing Memo -- which has so obviously been, for the most part, ignored by the media -- clearly states, in this case the intel was formed around the desire to go to war.

To compare the war in Iraq war to the war in Vietnam is to downplay the utter mess the former has become.

Sadly, Bush won't learn from Vietnam. He recently asked us to "have patience," saying it's "worth it."

"Like most Americans, I see the images of violence and bloodshed. Every picture is horrifying and the suffering is real," Bush said, according to excerpts released ahead of time by the White House. "It is worth it."

Worth it? Hmmm, maybe because Bushy didn't lose his daughters to an Al-Qaeda sniper? Just a guess.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I was away at my union conference last week (UNISON). Predictably, the motion was passed calling for the 'immediate' withdrawal of troops. The only problem is, no-one seems to have a realistic picture of what might happen when this takes place. Naive notions of 'letting the Iraqis sort it out between themselves' abound, but any sensible call for the withdrawal of foreign troops should also include the numerous Mujahadeen and other fanatics who poured in when the border was down.

At a fascinating (and, sadly, poorly attended) fringe meeting, some comrades from the Iraqi trade union movement were asked their views on this. They have been targeted by the Ba'athists and fundamentalists which make up the so-called 'Iraqi Resistance' lauded by armchair revolutionaries such as the British SWP.

Their view was first of all that they opposed the invasion and thought that Saddam should have been overthrown by the Iraqi people themselves. Secondly, the big mistake was disbanding the Iraqi security appartus, which enabled the terrorists to enter from surrounding states. 'Immediate' withdrawal of coalition troops would lead to complete chaos, but they would like to see an orderly withdrawal by next Jan. in line with the UN resolution. However, they would like a further resolution calling for the UN to send in forces to help take control.

These guys are playing a key role in trying to rebuild civil society in Iraq and need our support. If anyone wants to know more, or feels moved to help, check out http://www.iraqitradeunions.org/en/ :D
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I'm so sick and tired of hearing the "we cant pull out because there will be Chaos" response to the demand for complete US withdrawal. In case you haven't read the paper yet there is complete Chaos there now! The best we can do for the people of Iraq at this point is to provide them with the opportunity for self determination. This can only be achieved following a complete withdrawal of coalition forces.

Comment

Working...
        X