Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Shrinks say: War is good for mental health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrinks say: War is good for mental health

FIGHTING FIT AFTER WAR
    Going to war can be good for your mental health.

Scientists have found that fighting does not necessarily damage soldiers' psychological well being.

Researchers examined the mental health of hundreds of British soldiers returning from Iraq.

They found no deterioration in the mental health of the soldiers and actually saw a significant relative improvement in their psychological well-being, according to a report in the British Journal of Psychiatry.

The team from King's College London analysed questionnaires from 421 members of 16 Air Assault Brigade, based in Colchester in Essex.

The servicemen and women were questioned before and after taking part in operations in Iraq for around four months.

The researchers analysed the psychological scores of the soldiers and concluded that they revealed "a highly significant relative improvement in mental health".

The researchers said it was premature to conclude that the Iraq war had already had a serious adverse effect on the mental health of the armed forces.

"This study also reminds us that where there are highly selected forces with high morale involved in focussed operations with positive outcomes, whatever the immediate political context, participation in war fighting may sometimes not necessarily be as deleterious to psychological well-being as has previously been thought," they concluded.

Another study published in the same journal found that adjustment difficulties, rather than combat stress, appeared to be the main causes of psychiatric illness in troops.
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...361671,00.html
    :? :?: :!:
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

How cynical can "scientists" get? My God!

Probably is true, too, if there's no psyche to damage as obvious in
    some soldiers and prison guards ...! And sure, if you really hammer it into these people that they're just shooting up zombies in a video game and they're on God's side, then it works. There were many among the SS who truly believed they were right in what atrocities they committed.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

It makes you wonder how 'mental health' is defined. Is it sane to be 'well adjusted' to a society which is completely insane itself? It makes me value my neuroses more!
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Is anyone else reminded of the shrink in Alice's Restaurant?

I wanna Kill, Kill Kill!

Comment

I wonder what Wilfred Owen, Robert Graves or Spike Milligan would have to say about "war being good for mental health"?

Comment

*sniff*

*sniff*

Ooooh....

Some poor cow has diarrhea....

(War good for mental health - brought to you by the same folks who say tobacco is good for lung disease...)
            Miqque
            ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
              psychology whores
              Good phrase! AKA "The Servants of Power" - also active on the industrial front finding devious new ways to enslave the workers. This is generally described as 'empowerment' or 'the enrichment of work'... :x

Altogether now:

I'm happy, I'm happy
              I'm happy, I'm happy
              I'm happy, I'm happy
              And I'll punch the man who says I'm not

- Ivor Cutler

Comment

Working...
              X