Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Humans Are Not Evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humans Are Not Evil?

Hey guys! Do a google search with "Humans Are Not Evil" and you'll get the most idiotic responses like "Ducks Are Not Evil" and "Blood In The Snow: Sex is not evil".
    I typed this search after a talk with the foreman at my job who had been to some zoo (an activity endorsed by the company i work at, but it was not for the workforce it seems.) who had seen some chimps etc.. Long story made short: He talked about how chimps are so "fine and dandy" compared to humans and that humans are evil(?). I said "you got it all wrong because nature doesn't know the human construction of 'good vs evil'. It's an entirely human concept formed by religion et al. The main question is what are we fighting about?"
    To stupidly presume that socialized apes (Chimps in zoo's) are so nice when compared to the wild. Is idiotic because they are not fighting too hard for resources which are given by the "nanny-state" (zookeeper).

This is a foreman that has been a "Pain in the ASS!" so i told him the truth that "apes in the wild are an entirely different issue. They 'ostracize' (form alliances and expel any leader by force if they aren't doing anything good for the group). And a new or different leader takes the helm until forced out or compromised. Thats what i got out of watching nature programs about chimps although they seem "good and humorous".
    Seems that our foreman and his superiors time is up as well (slightly hinted by the union). "Do i hear a stutter?"

I understand that chimps are very similar genetically to humans and are evil little bastards, unlike gorillas who are laid back and mellow.

Of course, 'good' and 'evil' are just human value judgments... :roll:
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
      Chimps have rape squads and will murder strangers (chimps) that enter into their territory. This is just like innercity behavior here in the good old US! Same thing.
      "Well... I'll be a monkeys uncle!"

Why do certain people have this idea that "chimps are good and humans are evil"? It just seems stupid to me..

Is it because they (certain humans) have some kind of preconcieved notion to find goodness in chimps that seem more "in tone with nature"?

"Rape Squads"? 8O Haven't they ever heard of "Date Rape"?

BTW... I love guerillas! *Urhmm* *caugh*. I mean 'Gorillas'..
      They just sit on the mountain jungle and eat, sleep, and shit.. Besides beeing bothered by pesky humans out to eat them for food because they are victims of whitey neoliberalism and neo-colonialism.
      Those gorillas are 'Commie' i tell you! :lol:

Well.. Have a nice weekend guys!

Comment

Monkeys are funky.

Just thought I'd say that.

There was one time I saw this gorilla walking his keeper up at the UC Santa Barbara campus...
        Miqque
        ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

Comment

Certain types of people like to pretend that humans are rotten. Frankly, I think that this is a left over idea from the bible. It's like we don't belong on Earth and have ruined Eden or some such shit.
          Frankly...
          Once we start talking about 'Save the planet'.
          I say "save humanity" first...
          I quote Carlin on that: "The 'planet' is fine!... We are the one's who are fucked!".

Comment

Originally posted by Theocrat
            Certain types of people like to pretend that humans are rotten. Frankly, I think that this is a left over idea from the bible. It's like we don't belong on Earth and have ruined Eden or some such shit.
            Frankly...
            Once we start talking about 'Save the planet'.
            I say "save humanity" first...
            I quote Carlin on that: "The 'planet' is fine!... We are the one's who are fucked!".
            The two are linked,and cannot be broken.
            Save both,or save none.
            There probably never was an Eden,just a mudball,which could sustain life.
            The struggle for life is always hard.
            But we are able to make changes on a far bigger scale than ever before.
            Is it doomed,or is it fine?...
            Well,depends on your faith I suppose.
            Aside from faith,resources are finite.
            We have used one heck of a lot of the fossil fuel reserves.
            It's going to get interesting in the next hundred years or so.
            I suspect that the save the earth camp will grow considerably as the resources become scarce.
            There is an inbuilt selfish in humanity that guides it's thoughts.
            If I am fine,if I have what I NEED,all is well.
            My thoughts are we are heading for big trouble.
            It may not be man made though.
            The differences in climate change could all be a part of the cycle of our planet,but that isn't going to mean much when we have to deal with it with ever decreasing resources.
            Ask a man to walk a mile instead of take his car,then you'll see if we're ready to save the planet.
            Take a stroll around the facts and figures of deforestation,yeah I know,old hippy subject right?...
            Perhaps,but then again,do we want to gamble on that being so?...
            Once you chop it down and gets hard to breathe,it's alittle too late then to start caring.
            So who wants to be first to go without a new wood floor or wall unit to save the planet?...
            No takers?...
            Are men evil?....
            Well perhaps the leaders and the big corporations are,power and money.
            The rest,a part from the minority...
            Nah,just human.
            The comparrison for me is always compared to what?....
            Can't really use the animal kingdom as much of an example.
            They cannot detonate devices like we can.
            We can choose to be the first generation to care a bit,or be the latest in a long line that doesn't care too much.
            Who knows.
            Perhaps none of this makes sense to anyone else.
            Nigel.
            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/npottermusic.htm

Comment

Working...
            X