Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Uzbekistan uprising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uzbekistan uprising

What the hell is going on over there!?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4549873.stm
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Wikipedia have a page on this;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_200..._in_Uzbekistan

The Guardian, a British centre-left broadsheet newspaper, has a number of reports from the last few days at www.guardian.co.uk Just run a search on "Uzbekistan".

Comment

Its all just a little bit of history repeating

The BBC have an excellent article about how the US also stood by when South Korean troops murdered protestors in a civillan uprising

the Ghost of Kwangju

General Chun Doo-hwan might have been a murdering despot who calmly had his own people butchered, but a least he wasn't something really bad, like a communist

democracy and human rights have always been a distant 17th on the list of american piorities and its disgusting to hear them pretend otherwise.
      \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Don't worry folks, Uzbekistan is an "important ally in the region". Never mind that they boil people alive and shoot unarmed protesters. Shit happens.
        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I always said, "My enemy's enemy is my friend." is a dangrous policy. From Korea through Vietnam to Iraq, the US & to a lesser extent the UK governments have always propped up some bloody handed butcher because they're anti-communist, anti-islamiist or whatever & to hell with the human rights of the citizenry.
          Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Chomski's research as published in "Deferring Democracy" indicated a direct corellation between the amount of money received in military aid from the US and human rights abuses. Examples given included Argentina, Israel, South Vietnam, South Korea, South Africa (what is it with these Souths?) amongst others. There is no reason to suppose that this will change. I would expect to see Human Rights getting the shafted in Iraq, the Central Asian Republics etc. Uzbekistan isn't the first and i won't be the last.
            Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker.
            Bakunin

Comment

Originally posted by silverhand
              the US & to a lesser extent the UK governments have always propped up some bloody handed butcher because they're anti-communist, anti-islamiist or whatever & to hell with the human rights of the citizenry.
              I can't agree with the "to a lesser extent" angle, what about our enthusiastic support for the pinochet regime?

what about our support for hundreds of bloodly-handed sultans and kinglets during our empire building

and what about our current support for the "War on terror", featuring torture by proxy and our friends the military dictatorship that runs pakistan?
              \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Originally posted by M-A_19
                the US & to a lesser extent the UK governments have always propped up some bloody handed butcher because they're anti-communist, anti-islamiist or whatever & to hell with the human rights of the citizenry.
                I can't agree with the "to a lesser extent" angle, what about our enthusiastic support for the pinochet regime?

what about our support for hundreds of bloodly-handed sultans and kinglets during our empire building

and what about our current support for the "War on terror", featuring torture by proxy and our friends the military dictatorship that runs pakistan?
                Can't argue with that, I was only making the point that human rights come a poor second to political expediency. Nobody cared about the human rights of the Iraqi citizens when Saddam Hussein was gassing Halabja. Our governments only started bleating on about human rights when they'd run out of other justifications for the war.

Comment

I was only making the point that human rights come a poor second to political expediency.
                  A poor third surely, after making money?
                  \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                    I was only making the point that human rights come a poor second to political expediency.
                    A poor third surely, after making money?
                    And I thought I was cynical!

Comment

Working...
                    X