Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mel Gibson to film the pope's life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Gibson to film the pope's life?

This is unconfirmed - but I thought I'd share it. If true, it would seem like Mel has aspirations to be even more of a religious nutbag than anyone gave him credit for.

Not content with preying on religion and making millions from his previous directorial outing The Passion of the Christ (or, to use its alternative title, Splatterchrist), Mel Gibson's next project will be a cinematic adaptation of the late John Paul II's life - presumbably beginning with the Pope's humble origins as Karol Wojtyla in Poland before he was elected as the Holy Father in 1978.

According to various sources, Gibson will again fund this project with his own money, and cameras have apparently already started rolling; he dispatched a film crew to shoot the Pope's funeral last week. The focus of the film is yet to be established.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

If it's true, then expect plenty of bloody and gore, not to mention plenty of gratuitous, homoerotic, sadomasochism! I'm not sure how Gibson will be able to work it in, perhaps in the part about the late pope's experiences during the Nazi occupation of Poland (which were no joke, by all accounts), but love will find a way!

:?:

Comment

I think that it would be highly appropriate for Mel Gibson to make a movie about the popes life. Both Mel and the recently departed pope are/were misogynistic, homophobic and superstitious.

It would be intersting to see Mels take on the Nazi occupation of Poland considering his own anti Semitism and his fathers view that the nazis were good. The Catholic church was involved with the Holocaust too wasn't it?

no doubt every christian nutcase will rave about how good the movie was.
      :-) flamingo

Comment

The Catholic church was involved with the Holocaust too wasn't it?
        I'm not sure - there was some talk that Pope Pius 12th secretly supported Hitler, but I don't have any information to back that up.

There is controversy surrounding his reign however - that he could have done more to help jewish refugees fleeing Europe.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Support to Hitler's regime from the Church as an institution is not clear - however, there are dozens of stories involving local dignitaries...

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
            Support to Hitler's regime from the Church as an institution is not clear - however, there are dozens of stories involving local dignitaries...
            And there is always the argument, that by not condemning something like the holocaust you "de facto" support it.

when they came for the Gypsies, I did not cry out because I was not a Gypsy etc...
            \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Working...
            X