Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Arizona Minutemen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Minutemen

Just wondering what people think of this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4384855.stm
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

An unfortunate choice of name, wern't the original Minutemen a bunch of left-wing terrorists?
    Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Well, as you know, one person's left-wing terrorist is another person's patriot

This really scares me. The idea of turning over border patrolling to (sometimes armed) ciitizenry is asking for trouble, if not vigilantism. These are the same people who are arguing that we in the US need more guns, rather than less guns, to solve out problem of gun violence. It seems they think that if more of the right people had guns, fewer of the wrong people would be tempted to use them. 8O :?: :!:

As a resident of Texas, my fear compounds, as there is a strong movement to do the same here.

Comment

This really scares me. The idea of turning over border patrolling to (sometimes armed) ciitizenry is asking for trouble, if not vigilantism. These are the same people who are arguing that we in the US need more guns, rather than less guns, to solve out problem of gun violence. It seems they think that if more of the right people had guns, fewer of the wrong people would be tempted to use them.
        It amazes me that people seriously think like that. The number of people who have wound up dead as a result of the availability of these weapons in the US is astounding. It stands to reason that if you weren't able to secure easy access to firearms there would be fewer 'accidental' deaths, and fewer gun related murders. The fact that criminals can get their hands on pretty much anything they want doesn't justify the average relatively untrained private citizen from having the right to carry a Desert Eagle 45 in their car.

It seems this ridiculous right to 'bear arms' that some Americans seem to hold in such high regard, is to them more valuable than the hundreds of people who are killed in accidental shootings, or in colombine style rampages. This sort of thing happens time and time again - and there's never any action taken to prevent it occurring in the future. What's with that?

Going back to the topic - I read that there have already been some reports of vigilateism. One of the minutemen was involved in a 'Abu Ghraib' style photoshoot, while an army reservist (unaffiliated to the minutemen) apaprently held a bunch of illegals at gunpoint.

Of course the other side of the coin is that those people who are responsible for people trafficking south of the border are unlikely to be intimidated by vigilate tactics. I suspect it won't be long until we start to see violence and bloodshed.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
          Of course the other side of the coin is that those people who are responsible for people trafficking south of the border are unlikely to be intimidated by vigilate tactics. I suspect it won't be long until we start to see violence and bloodshed.
          Which is, of course, why this "plan" is such nonsense. It seems to be a matter of when something horrible comes from it, instead of if.

Soon we'll have a great wall (with all due respect to China) between the U.S. and Mexico and another between the U.S. and Canada. And mines on each coast.

I have to add...

This plan has been supported by a President who wants to return to a Bracero program for Mexican workers. Inconsistent? :? At best...

Comment

Which is, of course, why this "plan" is such nonsense. It seems to be a matter of when something horrible comes from it, instead of if.

Soon we'll have a great wall (with all due respect to China) between the U.S. and Mexico and another between the U.S. and Canada. And mines on each coast.
            Indeed. Moreover, those same organised crime people who are responsible for the great majority of people trafficking operations are doubtless the same people who are responsible for the kidnappings and murders that take place in Mexico each year.

I don't get Bush's guest worker programme. All it does is create an underclass labour force - who are prepared to do much more for much less. A little I read about a mexican woman who was working in a factory in the US that makes paint. According to the interview - all the workers at the plant (mostly mexican illegals) were paid a pittance, and at the same time the employer was cutting costs by not conforming to OSH guidelines. More specifically, noone at the plant was given any kind of breathing apparatus to protect their lungs from the fumes...

Its obvious why the government has not taken action to secure the border in the way that people like the Minutemen want - I suspect because economically speaking, migrant labour represents more than a blip on the radar, businesses deprived of their cheap (slave) labour would suffer, and consumers would wind up paying more for certain products.

It will be interesting to see if those same people who insist on closing the border entirely (and praise groups such as the Minutemen) are really prepared to pay out of pocket for the economic fallout that might result from stamping out migrant labour.

BTW - as a (legal) immigrant myself, isn't it somewhat insulting to be referred to as an 'alien' - the term itself seems derogatory. To me anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
              I don't get Bush's guest worker programme. All it does is create an underclass labour force - who are prepared to do much more for much less. A little I read about a mexican woman who was working in a factory in the US that makes paint. According to the interview - all the workers at the plant (mostly mexican illegals) were paid a pittance, and at the same time the employer was cutting costs by not conforming to OSH guidelines. More specifically, noone at the plant was given any kind of breathing apparatus to protect their lungs from the fumes...
              Great way to drive our standard of living down to provide cheap labor for the rich.
              I guess the philosophy is that if someone can be exploited then they deserve it.
              The greed and disregard for humanity never fails to stun me, though I should know better by now.

Comment

Working...
              X