Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Draft! *Yikes!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Draft! *Yikes!*

On swedish tv their was a draft seargent who said that there weren't enough people for "The War On Terror".

He called a guy, but he was too fat.. :lol:
    Talk about "consumer society" backlash..
    He looked kinda sad when he said that they might have to reinstate the draft again.

When half of america is too fat. Why not send all those silicone-pumped celebrities, who are the backbone of american society.

Their seems to be more talk of riots and revolution in most american forums.. And the newspapers in my country are now more like cartoons.
    Dull uninformative journalism with 'tits and ass' kinda gloating.

I think it's time for America to grow up... :x

Re: The Draft! *Yikes!*

Originally posted by Theocrat
    On swedish tv their was a draft seargent who said that there weren't enough people for "The War On Terror".

This was a draft sergeant, in the USA, not Sweden, I take it?

As a Non comissioned officer, he'd hardly be in a postition to dictate US policy. So, what was the background to the story?

I can remember how many people had got seriously worried that they'd re-introduce the draft in Britain, back in the early 1980's, because of the Falklands/Malvinas War. And that only lasted a couple of weeks. I'd been up in the islands, in the far North of Scotland, and missed most of it! :)

Comment

Re: The Draft! *Yikes!*

Originally posted by AndroMan
      Originally posted by Theocrat

This was a draft sergeant, in the USA, not Sweden, I take it?

As a Non comissioned officer, he'd hardly be in a postition to dictate US policy. So, what was the background to the story?

I can remember how many people had got seriously worried that they'd re-introduce the draft in Britain, back in the early 1980's, because of the Falklands/Malvinas War. And that only lasted a couple of weeks. I'd been up in the islands, in the far North of Scotland, and missed most of it! :)
      If they did that! I would tell him that America needs to "grow up! And stop overconsuming the planet". if he ever came knocking on my door.

Well it was a draft seargeant complaining about people not wanting to join the military. I guess people are getting fed up with USUK economy and their "freedome" BS..

I think the whole planet is behaving like a bunch of babies really..
      Quoting Chomsky "We are all hypocrites!"

I wonder if people will start to see that money is BS really..
      Makes me think of Star Trek economy..

Comment

There was a story today that the US army is now appealing to patriotism of parents to get their kids to sign up.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/breakin...recruiting.php
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

The Department of Defense is trying to put a happy face on the declining numbers. They say they are hoping to fill 90% of their recruitment goals in the regular, reserve, and national gaurd components of the military. That sounds like great success, until you think that those are recruitment goals for a nation which is not occupying two other countries, and that 90% fulfillment leaves some units short by thousands of people.

As a side note--who would want to enlist--patrtiotism or not? Join the Army and see exciting lands overseas!

Also...
          Theocrat, I certainly agree that America needs to grow up-- and stop growing out. Maybe that would be patriotism.

Comment

Its amazing after 100 years of warfare - the government has resorted to Dulce Et Decorum Est.

Maybe the recruiting centres should give out a free copy of Wilfred Owen's war poetry as well as the 'join the army and save the world' brochures.
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

getting fed up with USUK economy
              Is that some sort of 1337 haX0r speak?

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                There was a story today that the US army is now appealing to patriotism of parents to get their kids to sign up.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/breakin...recruiting.php
                they're sending letters to kids in our area, too. and some of them aren't out of middle school yet. (obviously, they sent this particular letter to a kid by accident). .... or was it? parents are really ticked off right now about the recruiting going on.

the Owen poetry--VERY good idea, devilchicken. how i wish it would work, though. appealing to the brain and the heart only works to a certain extent. but when the recruiters appeal to your housing, dental, paychecks, benefits needs, everything else takes backseat to it.

how many guys went over as contractors to Iraq and Kuwait because of the big dollars? big dangers, sure, but these people need the money and are willing to risk it all. what a sad, messed up, rotten thing. (can't think of what else to say without resorting to bad language.)

Comment

War movies are so realistic these days - I'd make sure to show my kid a bunch of those before letting him make the decision about whether to join up.

Comment

Hmm. I still find there's a certain machismo to even the most realistic war movies. I suppose there's no substitute for reality. And some guys like it -- witness reports of Special Forces on what they call a 'turkey shoot'.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I remember hearing that - there was also that general who got reprimanded for saying something along the lines of 'war is fun'.

Comment

Originally posted by invalid nickname
                        getting fed up with USUK economy
                        Is that some sort of 1337 haX0r speak?
                        What is it with this "haX0r" speak?

Comment

See the world, see new and interesting people. And kill them

I'm from a very military family, throughout our history, and I'm talking centuries, not just generations, but we as a whole opposed this whole war business from the start, and not just because of the shaky intelligence and Bush's gung-ho attitude, but also because it was dog-dumb strategy.

And now the military has recruitment problems. Fancy that. It's a problem that will persist not only until the war business is done (not telling when that will be), but until modern warfare catches up tactically. War has changed, and the current establishment has not been able to adapt properly. People are nervous and downright scared, they don't want to stick their necks out there while the military blunders around, trying to get their footing, and the government is still committing itself to its 'War on Terror', which is not going nearly as well as it could if they updated their tactics to match the current situation.

They've tried to get me, but I'm about a hundred pounds overweight, have a problem knee, and I'm colorblind (around 50%). But we could come to the point in a draft where even I might find myself holding a rifle. I can't say if the draft WILL be reinstated, but so long as the current tactics and strategy prevail, and the war footing is maintained, we will find ourselves dangerously low on personnel.

I'm not feeling too good about this at all. I have no problem fighting for my country, but it has to be a cause worth fighting for, and the leadership needs to be solid. With poor leadership comes poor morale, with poor morale comes poor effort, with poor effort comes failure. Major revisions are needed now or things might really turn for the worse, worse than anyone has seen yet.

Comment

Re: See the world, see new and interesting people. And kill

Originally posted by ElricJColvill
                            I'm not feeling too good about this at all. I have no problem fighting for my country, but it has to be a cause worth fighting for, and the leadership needs to be solid. With poor leadership comes poor morale, with poor morale comes poor effort, with poor effort comes failure. Major revisions are needed now or things might really turn for the worse, worse than anyone has seen yet.
                            "As above. So below" I once read or heard somewhere. I find the "cause" for the war to be on 'real' shaky grounds as well. I have nothing against the fighting man who does it with the 'people's' blessing and NOT corporate greed.

I feel inclined to ask if the American people feel let down by the government?

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                              I remember hearing that - there was also that general who got reprimanded for saying something along the lines of 'war is fun'.
                              A new "Patton"? Hmm... There are good soldiers and there are really stupid one's..

Comment

Working...
                              X