Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Schiavo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doc
    Doc
    Eternal Champion
    Doc
    Eternal Champion
    • Jan 2004

What really scares me about discourse-control strategies is that the Constitution seems to be taking a beating in their advancement. An elementary school civics lesson can remind us of the system of checks and balances, and the necessity of independent branches of government.

A few random thoughts...

I really think the right is advancing the activist judge issue to frame debates for confirming the next Supreme Court Justice.

The liberal media-- If you find it in the wild, tell me where your hunting ground is, IN :lol:

The perpetuation of that particular myth is amazing. Some people here in Texas have blamed (in a knee-jerk response) the "liberal media" for Tom DeLay's ethics investigation, forgetting that people in his inner circle have been convicted of felonies, mostly related to peddling influence. Of course, without liberal activist judges, those people wouldn't have been convicted.

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
      PsychicWarVeteran
      Flesh Bag of Mostly Water
      PsychicWarVeteran
      • Mar 2004

Schiavo parents to sell donor data to direct-marketing firm

:!: For those who still think the Schindlers weren't doing it all for the money :!:

List of Schiavo Donors Will Be Sold by Direct-Marketing Firm

"The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups."

"'These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri,' says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/po...ner=boingboing

" A spokesperson for the Schindlers confirmed that they had agreed to sell the information, but won't say for how much."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...o_wkmg/2648050

Real nice. Use the tragedy to make money and further your political agenda. I'm sure Terri would have been proud.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

• Doc
        Doc
        Eternal Champion
        Doc
        Eternal Champion
        • Jan 2004

I had a lot of sympathy for them when I first read about what was happening to their daughter. I certainly didn't agree with what they were doing, but I understood how difficult it must be to find yourself in their situation.

My concern eroded over time, along with my respect, when they started pandering to any cause who would take up their case.

Obviously we're seeing the results.

It's a good thing this whole situation wasn't about politics. 8O

Sure...

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
          PsychicWarVeteran
          PsychicWarVeteran
          • Mar 2004

Autopsy results are in. I'm happy to report that Terriآ´s parents were WRONG!

"The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain. ... This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons."

But then, most of us already knew that...

Comment

• devilchicken
            devilchicken
            We'll get to that later
            devilchicken
            We'll get to that later
            • Nov 2004

What's so galling is now that this particular case has been clearly settled based on quantifiable medical evidence, the religious zealots who were so pushing the 'right to life' agenda, have probably already forgotten about it, or consider it otherwise irrelevant.

Even against clear definitive evidence, they probably still think they hold the 'moral high ground' here. Isn't that a form of Doublethink (in the Orwellian sense)?

In any case - do you think the husband will get an apology from all the people who laid the dying flowers on his lawn and said he was in it for the money?
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
              PsychicWarVeteran
              PsychicWarVeteran
              • Mar 2004

Yup. And what's really sad is that it was never a right-to-life issue in the first place, it was a civil rights issue that was completely covered over by an erroneous right-to-life argument.

Comment

• devilchicken
                devilchicken
                We'll get to that later
                devilchicken
                We'll get to that later
                • Nov 2004

From todays news:

Probe Sought in Terri Schiavo 911 Call

55 minutes ago

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Gov. Jeb Bush asked a prosecutor Friday to investigate why Terri Schiavo collapsed 15 years ago, calling into question how long it took her husband to call 911 after he found her.

In a letter faxed to Pinellas-Pasco County State Attorney Bernie McCabe, Bush said Michael Schiavo testified in a 1992 medical malpractice trial that he found his wife collapsed at 5 a.m., and he said in a 2003 television interview that he found her about 4:30 a.m. He called 911 at 5:40 a.m.

"Between 40 and 70 minutes elapsed before the call was made, and I am aware of no explanation for the delay," Bush wrote. "In light of this new information, I urge you to take a fresh look at this case without any preconceptions as to the outcome."

Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday from The Associated Press. In comments in The Miami Herald, he said Terri Schiavo would not have survived if her husband had not immediately called 911.

"It's absolutely preposterous," Felos said. "If he had waited 70 minutes she would have been dead."

Terri Schiavo died March 31 from dehydration after her feeding tube was disconnected at her husband's request, despite unsuccessful efforts by her parents, Bush and others to keep her alive.

An autopsy released Wednesday concluded that she had been in a persistent vegetative state and revealed no evidence that she was strangled or otherwise abused before she collapsed.

It left unanswered the question of why Terri Schiavo's heart stopped, cutting oxygen off from her brain. The autopsy showed she suffered irreversible brain damage and her brain had shrunk to half the normal size for her age.
                http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050617/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
                Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
                  PsychicWarVeteran
                  PsychicWarVeteran
                  • Mar 2004

This is a textbook example of how the Right does things. They try to bully and when that doesn't work they try to incriminate and when that also fails, do they stop? No, they go on an all-new head-hunting safari, trumping up new arguments they never mentioned before. Where was this argument during the last fifteen years? All of a sudden now, after they've got egg all over their faces, they come up with this new attack. It's purpose is two-fold: destroy someone who has effectively shined a light on their corruption while taking the focus off of themselves.

Typical right-wing modus operandi.

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
                    PsychicWarVeteran
                    PsychicWarVeteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                    The whole thing is shameful.
                    Oh, it got even more so yesterday!

Originally posted by wftv.com
                    Michael Schiavo angered his late wife's family Monday by... inscribing on her bronze grave marker the words "I kept my promise."
                    Of course, these words upset Terri's parents, who arrogantly saw them as simply an attack on them and their grief. Talk about full of themselves!

http://www.wftv.com/news/4632858/detail.html

Comment

• Doc
                      Doc
                      Eternal Champion
                      Doc
                      Eternal Champion
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                      This is a textbook example of how the Right does things. They try to bully and when that doesn't work they try to incriminate and when that also fails, do they stop? No, they go on an all-new head-hunting safari, trumping up new arguments they never mentioned before. Where was this argument during the last fifteen years? All of a sudden now, after they've got egg all over their faces, they come up with this new attack. It's purpose is two-fold: destroy someone who has effectively shined a light on their corruption while taking the focus off of themselves.

Typical right-wing modus operandi.
                      Agreed. It is very similar to attacking people who question Gitmo. Gitmo is not a Gulag--apologize now! The focus became the characterization, not about what was and is actually happening there.

Comment

• Doc
                        Doc
                        Eternal Champion
                        Doc
                        Eternal Champion
                        • Jan 2004

I should add that I am apalled that Frist immediately distanced himself from his long distance diagnosis of Shiavo as soon as the autoposy report was released.

Assert your medical credentials, as long as they help your presidential aspirations. Or until people figure out you weren't using them correctly or professionally.

Comment

• Sky
                          Sky
                          Denizen of Moo Uria
                          Sky
                          Denizen of Moo Uria
                          • Aug 2005

Wow.. It was in Terri's will that she wanted to be taken off all life suport if there was a time in her life when she became brain-dead. If you want to be euthanized that should be up to you.

Religion should never come into affect if it isn't harming anyone. In this case it was better for Bush to be an even bigger bastard and for the parents to waste precious hospitol space and time to keep someone alive that didn't want to be kept alive. This has nothing to do with what Terrie wanted she wanted to die if she became braindead. That is her god damn choice. If she wants to die who the hell are we to say anything different, it's not our lives that we are ending! :x

Religion out to screw us again and bring us to yet another dark age if we are really lucky.. :x

Bush never had this big of a problem euthanizing retarted people!

Comment

Working...
                          X