Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

War in June?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War in June?

NEWS: Scott Ritter says US attack on Iran planned for June
    Written by Mark Jensen

Saturday, 19 February 2005

On Friday evening in Olympia, former UNSCOM weapons inspector Scott Ritter appeared with journalist Dahr Jamail. -- Ritter made two shocking claims: George W. Bush has "signed off" on plans to bomb Iran in June 2005, and the U.S. manipulated the results of the Jan. 30 elections in Iraq....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCOTT RITTER SAYS U.S. PLANS JUNE ATTACK ON IRAN, �COOKED’ JAN. 30 IRAQI ELECTION RESULTS
    By Mark Jensen

United for Peace of Pierce County (WA)
    February 19, 2005

Scott Ritter, appearing with journalist Dahr Jamail yesterday in Washington State, dropped two shocking bombshells in a talk delivered to a packed house in Olympia’s Capitol Theater. The ex-Marine turned UNSCOM weapons inspector said that George W. Bush has "signed off" on plans to bomb Iran in June 2005, and claimed the U.S. manipulated the results of the recent Jan. 30 elections in Iraq.

Olympians like to call the Capitol Theater "historic," but it's doubtful whether the eighty-year-old edifice has ever been the scene of more portentous revelations.

The principal theme of Scott Ritter's talk was Americans’ duty to protect the U.S. Constitution by taking action to bring an end to the illegal war in Iraq. But in passing, the former UNSCOM weapons inspector stunned his listeners with two pronouncements. Ritter said plans for a June attack on Iran have been submitted to President George W. Bush, and that the president has approved them. He also asserted that knowledgeable sources say U.S. officials "cooked" the results of the Jan. 30 elections in Iraq.

On Iran, Ritter said that President George W. Bush has received and signed off on orders for an aerial attack on Iran planned for June 2005. Its purported goal is the destruction of Iran’s alleged program to develop nuclear weapons, but Ritter said neoconservatives in the administration also expected that the attack would set in motion a chain of events leading to regime change in the oil-rich nation of 70 million -- a possibility Ritter regards with the greatest skepticism.

The former Marine also said that the Jan. 30 elections, which George W. Bush has called "a turning point in the history of Iraq, a milestone in the advance of freedom," were not so free after all. Ritter said that U.S. authorities in Iraq had manipulated the results in order to reduce the percentage of the vote received by the United Iraqi Alliance from 56% to 48%.
    http://www.ufppc.org/content/view/2295/2/

Scott Ritter, you'll recall, was right about the WMD. But could the US really sustain another war this early? Apparently recruiting of reservists has tailed off - what would this mean - the draft? And what about the taxpayer - any thoughts from our friends in the States?
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

People are surprised that enlistments are down, particularly in the Guard and Reserves? The last three years have probably done irreversible harm to the Guard and Reserve, as they have spent more time abroad than many regular military units--often with less support from the government (as units and as individuals).

It would seem that a draft would be the only way to make that happen, barring a complete withdraw of troops from Iraq (which won't happen). I have a feeling all of the people with "We support our President because we support our troops" bumber stickers will quickly change their minds if that happens. Bush claims that he has "politcal capital" that he is ready to use. If he can't find the support in Congress to alter Social Security, I'm sure he doesn't have the juice to reinstate the draft. That is not to say that he won't propose it.

Comment

There are still lots of rumours flying around concerning Scott Ritter's comments on Iran and a possible attack in June, which is now very close. While browsing I found this PBS transcript from early 2002 regarding Iraq, which now seems eerily prophetic in retrospect. Not sure if it's been seen here already. Ritter's comments seem the most sensible on the panel.

http://www.pbs.org/thinktank/transcript983.html

I truly hope he's wrong on the Iran prediction, but he evidently knows his stuff. 8O

Here's a recent article from The Guardian. The title says it all really...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...399228,00.html
      'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
        I have a feeling all of the people with "We support our President because we support our troops" bumber stickers will quickly change their minds if that happens. Bush claims that he has "politcal capital" that he is ready to use. If he can't find the support in Congress to alter Social Security, I'm sure he doesn't have the juice to reinstate the draft. That is not to say that he won't propose it.
        They won't change their minds and Bush will continue to do as he pleases.

Comment

Aaak another war he better not!

Comment

Originally posted by HawkLord
            Aaak another war he better not!
            Scott Ritter's warning was about "an aerial attack on Iran" rather than another War

RAF 617 squadron are still "in theatre" and could easily be used to fling some LGBS at a mosque or two...
            UK forces currently deployed in Iraq

I can't find up to date info on what aircraft the US have in place, but even before the Iraq war they had enough aircraft at airbases in friendly countries like saudi arabia to do the job.

Of 'course, whether they have enough manpower on the ground to cope with both retaliation from Iran AND renewed insurgency against US interests in all friendly Arab states is another matter.

A US attack on Iran will weaken, not strengthen democracy there.
            that Liar better not get the UK involved as well.
            \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Starting a war on another front while the current one is not resolved is tactical foolishness.
              Plus all of this pre-emptive striking is setting a dangerous precedent and we aren't making friends with current foreign policy.
              Who can reason with a man who gets his attack orders from god.

Comment

Working...
              X