Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Iraqi elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi elections

As debate rages, I thought I'd gauge the views at MWM. The Iraqi elections - true democracy or political farce? If the former - does that retrospectively justify the invasion? Is it inconsistent to condemn the war but applaud the elections? If the latter - then what is the alternative? i wish I had the answers!
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

I think the elections are a step in the right direction, but I offer that opinion with reservations-

The elections are a step in the right direction only because they followed larger actions that were giant leaps in the wrong direction, actions that will take decades from which to recover. I also think the elections are a small step toward a convenient exit, but not necessarily an appropriate one. Many in Washington are saying that the UN should take care of things after the final government takes hold.

Seems that Bush is saying to the UN "i made this mess despite your stern warnings no to pursue it. I told the American people and the world that you were irrelevant. Please clean up my mess and take responsibility for what it has created, anyway. It should be enough for you that the world is now safer than it was."

Comment

Hey, it's back! :D Thought we'd lost this thread...
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Re: Iraqi elections

I still don't think there is enough info to formulate a strong opinion about 'democracy in Iraq,' but I do (as you'd expect) have some observations.

I think it's pretty well-known (at least for the last four years) that elections are going to be inherently flawed, even in stable countries like the US. Politics is an inherently corrupt business, afterall.

So, for Bush (whose first-term election/Supreme Court appointment is shrouded in doubt and conspiracy) to tout the Iraqi elections having created "a free and sovereign Iraq" is ridiculously optimistic, to say the least. How can he say that? He said in his SotU speech, "Across Iraq, often at great risk, millions of citizens went to the polls and elected 275 men and women to represent them..." But he failed to mention that officials for the Independent Election Commission of Iraq said that "...because of stringent security, only a third of ballot boxes from around the country had arrived for the centralised count in Baghdad." (SOURCE) If only a third of the votes were counted in the last US election, would we Americans all sit back and feel like democracy was upheld?

I don't champion the Sunnis or anything, but something definitely stinks when the areas wherein people were unable to vote were found to be predominantly Sunni areas. Sounds a lot like Florida in 2000, no?
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Working...
        X