Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Who's your hero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's your hero?

Most humans, if not all, tend to admire and learn from others. It's not such an extraordinary trait in mammals; for example, pandas have to learn from their elders how to procreate. It's a trait that has its ups and downs, but I'm sure that it's very real.

I guess I should lay myself bare before asking anybody else to do so. My own hero and idol is my countryman Niels Bohr. He died the year that I was born, and I have sometimes fantasized that I might be his reincarnation -- which is really abject nonsense, I realize. I only mention it to say how high is my admiration for him.

Bohr, soon after Rutherford had come up with a lasting model of the core of the atom, perfected the model with a quantified model of the electrons orbiting the core and making "quantum leaps" that emitted or absorbed energy when changing state. He went on to be the spearhead of "The Copenhagen Interpretation" of quantum mechanics.

That was after realizing that his theoretical speculations about a certain isotope of Uraninium could concievably, and would logically according to his own models, release a devastating amount of energy. This thought became the foundation of a weapon race between the Allied and the Axis during WW2, and Bohr has described how, during a discussion of these nerdy pursuits, he suddenly realized that he was facing an enemy rather than a favourite pupil when Werner Heisenberg announced that the Nazis were going to win The War and he was going to help them.

Bohr, of Jewish decent, soon decided to flee to Sweden, where he convinced the foreign minister, the crown prince, and the king that Sweden should accept more Jewish fugitives than Sweden had used to. Then, he went on to the USA, officially to work on the atom bomb himself, but really only to prevent the the atom bomb from being used at all. In this, he failed*, as Hiroshima and Nagasaki soon learned.

Still, an extremely clever, extremely civil, and extremely charming man. My hero: Niels Bohr.

Who's yours?

* Bohr, like his friend Einstein, was considered a naif and a bleeding heart, consequently a potential communist and consequently a threat to be surveilled concerning morals and mistrusted, if exploited concerning utilitarian work, by American authorities.
    Last edited by Jagged; 02-09-2015, 08:49 AM.
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Is it indeed time for heroes again? If so then the kind you characterize should certainly be named among them, thank you.

I'll think it over and in time probably come up with either a patch-work hero/heroine or a bouquet.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
      Is it indeed time for heroes again?
      My supreme stranger, I wasn't aware that the first era of heroes, which will have started with the emergence of mankind itself, had ended. This does open for a digressive discussion which I won't mind being taken up for further examination in this thread.

The discussion about hero-worship in itself is very interesting, and for the moment I'll dodge the question of how to define it. Suffice to say for now, blind admiration, in my opinion, is very dangerous, while an enlightned recognizing of traits and deeds from others can help elevate a personality. At least for those of us who're not born perfect beings, and in the Christian culture we tend to allow such a description for only one entity.

So, when I use "hero" here, I do allow for the inclusion of imperfect creatures. Without such a caveat the discussion would hardly make any sense to me, but that in itself is an interesting discussion.
      Last edited by Jagged; 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM.

Comment

It's a really thought provoking question Jagged, "Who is my hero?". I guess it's the person I admire the most.

I could be trite and name a sporting hero like Kenny Dalglish, the greatest player to pull on a Liverpool FC shirt, or Sir Tom Finney, IMHO the finest English player footballer of all time.

I could name literary or cultural heroes like Mike, Spike Milligan or Douglas Adams, all of whom I admire enormously for various reasons.

I could name my parents who, in 1968 had triplets, bringing the total number of kids to 6, all of whom were under the age of 5 at the time and all of whom grew up to be happy and successful people.

In reality though, the person I admire the most in the world is a very close friend of mine who was born with a significant physical disability but who has never moaned about it or exploited it to his advantage. He is an identical twin to his able bodied brother to whom he bears no malice and only love. He drives, despite not having arms, but refuses to have a blue badge or use disabled parking spaces. He works in a difficult, high pressure job when claiming disability benefits and sitting on his backside watching daytime TV would be a much easier option. He is married to a wonderful lady and has taken responsibility for his step-daughter without a second thought. He forgave his younger brother who wrecked his business and cost him many thousands of pounds. He has survived cancer. And, apart from being a mouthy Cumbrian who supports Carlisle United, he is one of the finest, proudest and honest people I know.

If I had merely a tenth of his qualities I would be a lucky man.

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
          In reality though, the person I admire the most in the world is a very close friend of mine who was born with a significant physical disability but who has never moaned about it or exploited it to his advantage. He is an identical twin to his able bodied brother to whom he bears no malice and only love. He drives, despite not having arms, but refuses to have a blue badge or use disabled parking spaces. He works in a difficult, high pressure job when claiming disability benefits and sitting on his backside watching daytime TV would be a much easier option. He is married to a wonderful lady and has taken responsibility for his step-daughter without a second thought. He forgave his younger brother who wrecked his business and cost him many thousands of pounds. He has survived cancer. And, apart from being a mouthy Cumbrian who supports Carlisle United, he is one of the finest, proudest and honest people I know.

If I had merely a tenth of his qualities I would be a lucky man.
          Oh, my! If you'll forgive me going teen for a mo, I'll say. "Wow!"

Now, that wasn't so hard, was it? There must be a lesson in there for all of us about modesty as well as strength.

If you'll forgive me for saying so, although it's really rather tasteless of me to bring Hollywood into the picture here, I can't help being reminded of that great movie "Nicky and Gino". ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095050/...nm_flmg_act_17 ) The twist at the end of this one even makes a great comment on hero-worship.

Comment

This used to be an easy question to answer. Over the years it became increasingly harder to consider.

Now I find I must perform numerous mental gymnastics in order to arrive at an honest answer.

Here it is. My hero is a dog. Or was a dog, as it is now deceased.

How can this be, you may ask. What form of misanthropic response is that?

And yet when I leaf through that great catalogue of experiences it seems that only in this animal did I see the values of courage, loyalty, intelligence, generosity and joy in such unadulterated abundance.

Comment

Who is my hero ?

There are many people i admire for theirs achievements.

But i am not sure any one of them qualifies as a hero !

I would say that, for me, a hero shows something more, almost passing beyond human range. Even if he is not above criticism ?

May be Gandhi could be looked as an hero ?

Comment

My heroes are my parents.
                "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Prometheus View Post
                  My hero is a dog. Or was a dog, as it is now deceased.

How can this be, you may ask. What form of misanthropic response is that?

And yet when I leaf through that great catalogue of experiences it seems that only in this animal did I see the values of courage, loyalty, intelligence, generosity and joy in such unadulterated abundance.
                  I don't see why your hero shouldn't be a dog (except if you're talking about Sarah Palin). Dogs do, indeed, in my experience have much more courage, loyalty, generosity and joy than humans, it's true. Intelligence.... well, much as I'm fond of dogs, I do think that they're a bit overrated here. I fear what humans mistake for intelligence is really obedience.

Still, we all know of these cases where a dog is saving its human from a bear attack or something. No wonder they're man's best friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Kane View Post
                    I would say that, for me, a hero shows something more, almost passing beyond human range.
                    Oh, dear, another dog lover!

Comment

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
                      I don't see why your hero shouldn't be a dog (except if you're talking about Sarah Palin).

HEHEHEHEHEHHEHE
                      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I have several. John Peel, Robert Anton Wilson, Alejandro Jodorowsky, William Burroughs, Arthur C Clarke, Hunter S Thompson, Bjork, Alan Moore, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, AphexTwin, Kool Keith (don't worry, no one knows him), Frank Zappa, Voltaire, Michael Moorcock, David Attenborough, Morrissey (i know, he's a prick), Arthur Machen, and like Zlogdan said, my parents. I'm sure I forgot hundreds.

In terms of politics I have zero. Not that I'm unfamiliar with politicians and their work.

Comment

Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                          Morrissey (i know, he's a prick)
                          I really hate The Smiths but mostly because of Jonnhy Marr mostly because he is an arrogant musician and quite far from being as good as he sees of himself. I heard some solo songs from Morrissey other day which had a decent vibe and feeling...

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                            Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
                            Morrissey (i know, he's a prick)
                            I really hate The Smiths but mostly because of Jonnhy Marr mostly because he is an arrogant musician and quite far from being as good as he sees of himself. I heard some solo songs from Morrissey other day which had a decent vibe and feeling...
                            Johnny Marr is one of the best guitarist ever, probably an arrogant fecker though. Examples of his unique talent would be That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore and How Soon Is Now, both by The Smiths and on youtube, try those tunes and tell me what you think,

Comment

"That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore " is a good song, best I heard from The Smiths until I heard "How Soon Is No" pretty good song, crazy guitar twists.

I am still not impressed with Marr technically speaking, though I understand better why Morissey is considered a great singer. The bass/drums in the band help a lot too.

Yeah I will not really start loving them, but I removed them from my "hated" bands list.

edit: How Soon Is No is quite quite decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X