Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Harry The Nazi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikey_C
    replied
    I have to state upfront that my opinions on this are no doubt conditioned by my republican views - but I must say its remarkable that PH isn't kept in line by his handlers. This is but the latest in a line of unfortunate incidents. One of the justifications given out for the royal family is that ther are there to act as positive role models for the rest of the nation - which is plainly untrue, we might as well have the Osbournes.

The holocaust is in living memory. I can never forgive the Sex Pistols for Sid's Nazi armband, and Lemmy's nazi memorabilia collection troubles me (although it's up to him so long as he keeps it at home). This, however, is in a different league; if we must have a royal family, then they must at least acknowledge that along with privileges and an easy life off the public purse come responsibilities. Personally I think the 'native and colonial' theme is dodgy in itself, and he would have been well advised to steer clear of the whole event.

Who knows but there might be more behind it. Sid Vicious admitted to racist views, how about Prince Harry? He'll have heard them enough at home. His great-aunt Princess Margaret notoriously walked out on Schindler's List, describing it as "anti-German" (the Royal Family are of course German) & said it was "a tedious film about Jews" and advised her butler not to see it... After meeting the President of Guyana she stated "He's everything I despise: he's black, he married a Jew and furthermore he's American." Nice people...

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Obviously the Sun didn't have any 'real' news to report that day...

If you were Harry, you'd think that he'd know by now how not to get himself into gaffes like this. He should know that there could have been people at that party taking pictures - and that this sort of thing (however innocent it might appear to him) is the Sun's bread and butter.

Young and naiive, or stupid tosser - you decide ;)

This aside - I'm still of the opinion that many of the old 'empire' values still linger on in many of the 'old time' royal family. Prince Philip still manages to cause a few 'diplomatic incidents' whenever he goes overseas - calling the chinese 'slitty-eyed', and asking australian aboriginal tribesmen 'if they still chuck spears at each other'. There was also a rumour that the late Queen Mother was very racist, which is why you rarely heard her speak in public...

I suppose we should be a little disturbed that people so far removed from Joe public are representing us at a national level.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "That's ma boy!"

James Hewitt.

Leave a comment:

• DiGiMac
    replied
    Symbols of the USA are so pervasive in everyday life in 95% of the world, that we hardly even notice when palestinian protesters are wearing stars-and-stripes t-shirts and drinking coke.
    If this is already happening whilst the crimes against humanity are still being committed, I doubt these symbols will ever come to have the immediate associations we make with the svastika.
    Unless ALL the conspiracy theories turn out to be correct - you killed your own president, faked the moon landing, financed the international drug barons and sponsored 911!

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    Forgive, Berry, if I disagree. Berets are not so uniquely identifiable with injustice, genocide and misery that came on humanity, not even US Army berets, like the symbols and insignia of the most terrifyingly inhuman regime in recent history.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Maybe a good guideline for pauper and royal alike is: would you wear the costume to your local church? Or at school? Or a company party? Or to a WWII parade? Or on a visit to Dachau? I suspect that uniform is out of place in any modern context, except to educate, though I've seen numerous artifacts in the local military surplus stores along the West Coast and even then they remind more than they threaten. I suspect the United States Army's berets could hold a similiar power presently and in the future for certain people, say the families with loved ones in Gitmo cages.

Leave a comment:

• L'Etranger
    replied
    What is wrong to dress up like a Nazi for fun?!
    Come on, there are still numerous surviving victims of these criminals whose feelings are being trampled on! In all our countries.
    And it is sickening if a person belonging to the leading caste of a democratic country (that b-t-w also suffered from the war waged against it by the Nazis) hasn't an ounce more of awareness about these sensitive matters. I assume Harry thought the disguise was about as harmless as dressing up as "Frankenstein", but it just isn't! What do they learn in their posh schools? What horizon, what scope do they have?

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Re: Harry The Nazi

Originally posted by Hans von Hammer
    WTF is wrong with dressing up like that? it is a costume party! why the hysterics???

Ghengis and Attila and Alexander were far worst, and nobody complains if you go to a party dressed up as a Mongol Warlord or a Hun Warrior. Can anybody explain to me why is such a fuss about dressing up like that? it does not mean that HE IS a nazi, does it?
    It might be time to review the facts and put the Nazis into a similiar sort of humorous party gear perspective, in another 1000, or 1500 years, or so. But, remember, Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun and Alexander the Great only slaughtered our distant ancestors, they didn't actually attack, bomb, gas and murder anybody living, their families, friends, sisters, brothers, parents, or grandparents, or cart same off to factory camps dedicated to their extermination.

Nonetheless, ordinary folks, not pillars of the Establishment, could probably just about get away with the bad taste of wearing a Nazi military uniform at a private 'Colonials and Natives' party (the party theme, apparently), but Harry, for his sins, is supposed to represent the British Establishment and People. This year is the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War and it's also the 60th annivesary of the Liberation of Auschwitz in a fortnight, or so. Bad timing. Neo-Nazi extremism is also on the rise again, in Europe, so it might just be becoming a bit of a hot topic.

It's Carnival around the Catholic parts of Northern Europe next month, so why don't you visit Maastricht, or Munich, and dress up in a swastika bedecked uniform and see what sort of reaction you get?

I'm just disappointed that Harry, third in line to the British throne after his Gran, would be so stupid as to put himself into the hands of Rupert Murdoch's buttmonkeys like that. The rumours about the hereditary average IQ of the British Royals appears to be true.

:(

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Harry The Nazi

Originally posted by Hans von Hammer
    it does not mean that HE IS a nazi, does it?
    No, but he is a dopey little inbred.

Leave a comment:

• Hans von Hammer
    started a topic Harry The Nazi

Harry The Nazi

WTF is wrong with dressing up like that? it is a costume party! why the hysterics???

Ghengis and Attila and Alexander were far worst, and nobody complains if you go to a party dressed up as a Mongol Warlord or a Hun Warrior. Can anybody explain to me why is such a fuss about dressing up like that? it does not mean that HE IS a nazi, does it?
Working...
X