Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Harry The Nazi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xidrep
    replied
    Alas, I don't think there are any bookshops at all in Streatham, now! (That was my post at the top of page!). In fact, I believe the Locarno is now 'Caesars' lap-dancing club! Oh, dear. I occassionally (very occassionally) used to do an emergency stint at a vet trauma centre on the groundfloor of 'The High' - a 1930's block of former luxury flats. Full of, er, professional ladies and severe addicts. Someone once broke into the practice by sledgehammering the wall through from the stairwell! (Result = آ£15 and some valium...). It's very sad - there's a dried-up swimming pool in the back courtyard and a lecture room and music room (still with a piano) for the residents' use, all derelict now. Full of ghosts...

Leave a comment:

• Poetgrrl
    replied
    Re: About what

Originally posted by Hans von Hammer
    Even though he did all that and is a monster, there is no problem in dressing up like him, or composing a song praising the guy (British IRON MAIDEN - their debut album, i think.)
    Slightly off topic, but as a Maiden fan I MUST clarify something: This song is an instrumental. No lyrics.

As to the original thread, in my opinion, I think Harry knew what he was doing. It was shocking and he wanted it that way. I don't think he did it because he's praising Hitler--just something to raise eyebrows amongst his friends. He has apologized, his father's probably raked his arse over the coals, and the public won't be happy until he gets himself to Auschwitz and sees it for himself. Anyway... I'm disappointed in his behavior and ... life will go on.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Streatham Locarno, eh ? I might have bumped into your parents! Not that I was much of a dancer, but there were a couple of good second hand bookshops nearby... :)

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    I too owe my existence to Hitler. My Mum was evacuated out from Portsmouth to the West Country to work in a munitions factory. There she met my Dad, when he gallantly asked her to dance as he saw she was discomfited by the attentions of a black GI. She was engaged to someone else at the time. So there was a bit of racism involved as well (not that my parents were particularly racist beyond what was the norm for their generation). It's funny how life moves on...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Although a beneficial side-effect of this was that Croydon got the most doodle-bug strikes...(Joke). My Dad (b.1938) actually watched a V1 come down on Raynes Park from my Nan's house in Worcester Park (He watched it from there,I mean; she didn't launch it from her garden... :D ) . As it landed about an eighth of a mile short of the giant gasometers that stood next to my pater's residence (ah, luxury) he's really rather lucky to be here. As am I. In fact, I (like so many others of course) only exist thanks to Hitler: My maternal grandfather was married in 1935, and with his wife and two children was in a shelter in Vauxhall one night during the Blitz. His children were thirsty and asked him to get them water from the standpipe at the opposite end of the shelter. Whilst he was there, a bomb landed on them, and he was the sole survivor, owing to him being at the opposite end to the main impact. They found his wife's remains over a mile away. Dreadful. He remarried and my mum was the result (although he died when my ma was six, and my grandmother left my mother with an aunt in 1951. She (grannie) was never seen again). As a consequence of this dislocation, my mum ended up meeting my dad at a dance at the Streatham Locarno (! 8O ). Talk about chains of events....And all because they didn't let the little corporal into art-college!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    Yes. I was reminded by the follow-up piece in the Sun showing the royals visiting bombed ruins that popular feeling during the Blitz was at first that the royals were staying safely out of it. Only when they realised their popularity was taking a knocking did they start showing up
    for Blitz pix. There are some sources claim that the Germans deliberately held off bombing such places as Buckingham Palace, but I suspect that might not be the whole truth. Certainly I wasn't too pleased, as I've mentioned before, to discover that Churchill was misreporting the flying bomb hits to suggest that every time one hit South London (where there were few important factories and so on but where I lived) the Nazis would hear that they had hit an important industrial site. That explained why S. London got the most V-weapon hits. So it seems not only Hitler but also Churchill were conspiring to kill me...

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    The mass hysteria surround Diana's death was a little surprising to me. Though what is more surprising perhaps is the popular view that she was 'bumped off'. Couldn't quite see that myself...

I certainly think the media played a significant role in misrepresenting Diana. We had to hear time and time again about her charitable work, her 'landmine crusade'. By the time she came on the scene - most western governments had already signed up to a voluntary agreement to suspend the use of anti-personnel landmines... Her contribution was relatively small - except perhaps for bringing media attention to worthwhile causes...

I don't know - from the interviews I've seen she always came across as quite small minded and self serving...

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    he true function of foxhunting is not pest control. It is as a rather anachronistic and symbolic enactment of the feudal relationship between the landowners and their serfs, some of whom even relish their 'running with the hounds'.

The fate of the fox is a warning to all who would contemplate disobedience, poaching, or a release from their ancient serfdom.

From the hunting pink of the riding uniform, to the bloody initiation, foxhunting is about as relevant to modern agriculture as the antic antics portrayed in The Wicker Man.
    Agreed - hunting as it is practiced by these people is NOT a means of controlling the fox population (much as the Countryside Alliance might say otherwise). There are better, cheaper, more efficient and more modern methods of pest control.

Every aspect of the hunt is extremely ritualistic - the uniforms, horns, hounds, not to mention the roles ascribed to different hunt participants - are all part of a grotesque tradition that we are better off without. We don't practice badger baiting any longer,and cock-fighting is illegal - why is this different?

I just don't see what all the fuss is about it - its such a minority issue to be concerned with. Though the countryside alliance would seemingly have us all believe banning hunting will bring about the collapse of the British economy... Far from it - if anything Thatcher and her cronies took care of that back in the 80's when they destroyed Britains manufacturing industry..

Leave a comment:

• Kalessin
    replied
    I could give a long and ranting post on why I disagree with your analysis of hunting - but you'd just reply with more of the same.

Shall we just agree to disagree on this?

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Originally posted by Kalessin
    Originally posted by AndroMan
    It will still be possible to hunt with hounds using (fox free) dragged scented rags, 'drag hunts'.
    At the moment, the hunt is a functional entertainment - with drag-hunts, it would become pure entertainment. And don't go on about cruelty - fishing is just as cruel as hunting, if not more so.
    The true function of foxhunting is not pest control. It is as a rather anachronistic and symbolic enactment of the feudal relationship between the landowners and their serfs, some of whom even relish their 'running with the hounds'.

The fate of the fox is a warning to all who would contemplate disobedience, poaching, or a release from their ancient serfdom.

From the hunting pink of the riding uniform, to the bloody initiation, foxhunting is about as relevant to modern agriculture as the antic antics portrayed in The Wicker Man.

Fishing may be cruel, but it's a lot more democratic. Fishing tackle is also a lot easier to come by and requires little in the way of stabling, steadings, or kennels.

Leave a comment:

• Danisty
    replied
    I'm lost. Are you guys against hunting altogether or just fox hunting? I don't know anything about fox hunting because I'm in the U.S., but I fully support hunting. If people around here didn't hunt deer, they'd be in our backyards. I'm not exaggerating either.

Leave a comment:

• Kalessin
    replied
    Originally posted by AndroMan
    It will still be possible to hunt with hounds using (fox free) dragged scented rags, 'drag hunts'.
    At the moment, the hunt is a functional entertainment - with drag-hunts, it would become pure entertainment. And don't go on about cruelty - fishing is just as cruel as hunting, if not more so.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro_Mercurios
    replied
    Originally posted by Kalessin

The hounds, which will all have to be put down if the hunt-ban becomes enforceable. ...

Even more than sheep dogs, foxhounds are strictly working dogs, not pets. They are regularily put down when they are too old, or sick, to be of further use to the hunt. As far as I know, they are rarely pensioned off and are not domesticated enough to become household pets.

Leave a comment:

• Danisty
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    I meant to add a note about religious hysteria being replaced by celeb-hysteria. Be interesting to isolate the differences, if any.
    Actually, my husband is working on his first novel. It's a sci-fi story that makes such points about royalty. In the story, the new royalty are descendents of today's celebrities.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Moorcock
    replied
    I meant to add a note about religious hysteria being replaced by celeb-hysteria. Be interesting to isolate the differences, if any.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X