Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Why I am a Republican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
    I always thought that Don’t Fear the Reaper was just an amazing song.
    I need more cowbell! (Let me know if the reference goes over your head and I'll enlighten you.)

I love that quote you have there. It’s deep.
    Yeah, it is! I think the lyrics to that song just kick all kinds of ass. I also especially like, "All my scars are on the inside. I'm not sure that there's anything left of me." Good stuff.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Agreed.

Take, for example, Reagan's funding cuts for mental hospitals. Thousands of mentally ill patients hit the streets under the touted conservative mantra that they just needed to 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps.' It didn't work, and now my wife is constantly availing me of stories about the mentally ill vagrants she sees downtown everyday. It's very sad.

And these people, now on the streets with nothing, do whatever they can to make it to the point (sometimes) of cheating a system that is already set up against them. And then lawyers spend their days figuring out how to keep those homeless, mentally ill people from getting money they 'don't deserve' and then go home at night to enjoy a cigar and a glass of Chivas.

And do they think they are evil as they sip their brandy? Probably not. They just tell themselves that those homeless people could have made lives for themselves, too, and simply chose not to. It's BS, of course, but it allows them to sleep at night.

Comment

You know what’s crazy PWV, some liberals were also involved in screwing mental patients as well... It’s as if these people were just free spirited creative types. People are so free spirited here in Philly that they like to weight 98 pounds and sleep on steam vents while they gibber and pick their butt. How wonderful.

Many liberals did not think that mental patients should be in institutions because it was too restrictive.
        You have a point. There is such a thing as too liberal. But I think it's pretty obvious when this occurs. I mean, your 98-pound butt-picker example is as poignant as it is clever.

Personally, I think that the institutions should be reopened, made to be very nice, and heavily monitored. It sucks that a person with a mental problem has to live some kind of Charles Dickens like life-style while the voice of Satan or whatever plays in their ear.
        Dude, you're on fire in this post! Nice analogy. I agree fully. If we have the money for failing wars and the most expensive inauguration in US history, we certainly can do better for the nation's mentally ill.

Interesting tidbit from the article I linked to:

"During President Bush's campaign for re-election, his backers were quick to invoke the name of Franklin Roosevelt...

"But now that Bush is about to be sworn in for a second term, his supporters do not make FDR analogies so often. Roosevelt reasoned that amid the Second World War, a lavish inauguration was inappropriate. There were no parades or balls. His speech, delivered at the White House rather than the Capitol, was a little longer than this editorial and was followed by a buffet luncheon.

"Bush, on the other hand, is planning a $40 million extravaganza..."

$40 million for a party? Boy, my $1000 deductible sure looks justified. So do the cuts I have seen in the education of my daughter. As does the fact that I won't see enough Social Security to live when I am old. It goes on and on. Fuck social programs -- er, entitlements -- we need things like $40 million inauguration ceremonies so that our monkey president can actually feel good about himself. Pitiful.

Comment

WHAT???????????????

40 MILLION $ INAUGURATION??????????

Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!

I made a passing remark at that waste in my post on the Iran thread, as an ironic comment....but, sincerely, if asked to pick a cost I would have said....10-15 millions...and it would STILL have been a huge squandering in my view!!!!!!!!!!

:-/

Kapri_Korn

Comment

The government simply doesn't care, my friend. It's the "it won't happen to me, so I don't concern myself with it" mentality. It's an utter lack of compassion. It is, in short, precisely what is wrong with politics: unadauterated greed and selfishness coupled with the power to never be held accountable.

It's easy to tell a homeless guy to go get a job. It's hard to love that person and actively do something to help him. Sadly, most people (especially Americans) take the easiest route possible. "Don't burden me with your tales of hunger, you lazy loser, I've got Big Macs to gourge upon and you're blowing my place in line at the drive-thru!"

Comment

NO! 8O Don't let it happen! Hang on to your compassion, Adlerian! Don't fall into the cynical apathy trap!

Comment

Since my mainframe at work is down, I came back to see if there had been anymore posts. Quite a bit.

"Curses. This makes me want to read his book. Nice work, Patrick, you sly fox you. Way to drive book sales!"

How happy I was to see this. I need all the help I can get. Trust me. POD is not an easy way to go marketing wise. I find it strange that there is surprise that a conservative would right a fantasy. Anyway, I certainly hope you all check it out. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I could use feedback as I am currently editing my second book.

Whoever it was that mention compassion it right on the mark. Too many people on the right, especially the evangelicals, seem to use the mantra, God helps those who help themselves. Test this with any Christians you know, and ask them if that is in the Bible. Many will probably say it is. Well, it's not. We should be compassionate regardless of the state that a person is in. I just think that the government "generally" does a poor job and there is a lot of bureaucratic waste when they do get involved. I am starting to lean left on the health care issues though.

I'm left on the environment. And my own personal view is that pro-life is a true liberal agenda and pro-choice is actually conservative, regardless of your position on those.

This is why I like when people discuss in a debate and not argue. Points come across, and I do consider them. As I have said, when I watch O'Reilly or Chris Matthews, I rarely learn anything. It is just people yelling.

Comment

I'd be happy too. Might be too much for this forum. We should probably email. [email protected]

Comment

I was going to privately email you and ask if one could get hired as a web designer without a full degree in that subject!
                    My degree is in "English with a Writing Emphasis." I've never taken a college level art class in my life, but I have been doing art as long as I can remember. The only reason I didn't major in it is because my dad was always telling me, "You can't eat the fruit youi paint." So, I majored in English and got a job as an artists anyway... after six years professionally playing games for Nintendo, that is! :D

Originally posted by Patrick
                    Too many people on the right, especially the evangelicals, seem to use the mantra, God helps those who help themselves. Test this with any Christians you know, and ask them if that is in the Bible. Many will probably say it is. Well, it's not. We should be compassionate regardless of the state that a person is in. I just think that the government "generally" does a poor job and there is a lot of bureaucratic waste when they do get involved.
                    Yes, govt does do a crappy job when it gets involved, but private citizens are crappy at supporting the underprivileged voluntarily, which makes govt interaction a necessity. We just need to regulate things and stop letting the govt pad numbers, hide offenses and keep screwing things up. It can't be that difficult to demand accountability from our leaders! I think Americans are just too lazy to fight the staus quo.

I am starting to lean left on the health care issues though... I'm left on the environment.
                    See, I knew you weren't a complete Rightie. That's why I kept after you, Patrick, because I know your opinions on WC are based on job cynicism and I really wanted to make the liberal in you look seriously at that. I apologize if, in my fervor, I came off as attacking you personally. I blame it on frustration.

And my own personal view is that pro-life is a true liberal agenda and pro-choice is actually conservative, regardless of your position on those.
                    I hear you. The pro-life/pro-choice thing is a toughie. I don't think it's ever right to kill another human being, but at the same time I am a man and cannot relate to what a woman feels with regard to a being -- which by definition is a parasite -- inside her body.

I do find it interesting that those who are strongly against abortion are usually alright with executing criminals, and vice-versa. Strange paradox, that.

Reagrding health care, I don't think anyone has developed a perfect system. But when you have stats like the following while hundreds of thousands of people go without helath care, it is obvious that there is a serious problem in the system.

Earnings in the first three months of 2004:

- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan—$995.5 million profit
                    - Physicians Service—$314.2 million profit
                    - Group Health Cooperative—$187.8 million profit
                    - Aetna Health—$129.8 million profit

SOURCE: http://us.f409.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...ead=b&box=Sent

Numbers don't lie. We NEED to do something about health care in this country!!!

Comment

On the death penalty, I am starting to lean left. I do think that the state has the right to execute someone who takes an innocent life, but the system is screwed up, looking at the proportion of minorities on death row.

My former governor (R) George Ryan took everyone off death row before he left office. Now, Ryan was a crook, and I'm sure there was more than an altruistic motive that caused him to do it, but I have to applaud him for the move. I don't think anybody should be executed in this country will the system is clearly broken.

Oh, and I do think it is kind of morbid that Bush is having the most expensive inauguration in history. Granted, security is probably tighter than ever and there should be a celebration of democracy. Like him or not, this is better than Ukraine. But a little modesty would have been nice.

Comment

My father in law recently was admitted to a US hospital when his heart condition flared up. He gets attacks from time to time and is on medication likely for the rest of his life. Problem is - the reason he ended up in hospital is was directly as a result of his insurance company interfering in his treatment.

Some jobsworth looked at his record and decided that they could save a bit of money by stopping him seeing his cardiologist. They figured he hadn't had an attack for a while and decided he must be 'better'. So a few weeks goes by and in that time he has 4 separate episodes - starting at his daughters (and my) wedding - and culminating in the hospitalisation.

Now it strikes me that something is extremely wrong with a healthcare system where non-medical persons are able make medical decisions on behalf of the patient with little accountablity.

In some ways I wish they (the govt) would take more of a role in nationalising some aspects of the healthcare system - sure you might pay more taxes, but at least you won't have to worry about getting into debt for treatment. It won't happen of course - but what I find bizarre is this attitude that some people take - "lets not get the government get involved in anything because they will make a mess of it". Bush even went so far as to say so during one of the pre-election debates. Speaking out of practicality that might be an accurate assessment - but it strikes me as a rather cynical attempt to maintain the status quo.
                        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

As I said, I am starting to lean to the left on the healthcare issue. The managed care problem is an ongoing issue, and I agree that there should be reform there.

Comment

So the question is, can you vote a bunch or Republicans into office and get the needed changes to systems like health care?

The answer: not likely.

While I'll admit that no politician (except maybe Jimmy Carter) has ever had impeccable morals, but it just seems to me that if you want social programs to survive the corporate onslaught, you need to vote to the left.

It's a matter of weighing evils, which was my point about who should get any money that is misappropriated -- rich corporations or poor people? Which is the greater sin: allowing a handful of people to skate by for free or handing tons of money to the already-rich at the potential expense to honest citizens? The answer seems obvious to me.

Comment

True, Adlerian. That's why there are several switches and only one actually makes an electrical contact. That's why there are several guns in a firing squad; only one guy has a real bullet. Every method of sanctioned execution, as far as I know, is done in a way that keeps the actual one doing the deed from knowing for sure it was him.

Comment

I Remember seeing a news story on the BBC a couple of years ago - that adds an interesting dimension to the capital punishment issue.

The story was about a inmate on death row who had violently murdered two women in the 1980's - but subsequent psychiatric evaluations found him to be suffering from schizophrenia. The insane defence apparently had been thrown out at the trial - but the case was made that the accused did have serious mental health problems.

What was interesting was that the state in question had a law that made it illegal to execute anyone with mental illness. So what the state governor wanted to do - was medicate the guy so that he would be well enough (from a legal perspective) to execute. I'm not sure if they went ahead with this - but the fact the state was full prepared to 'cure' someone just so they can be executed seems to me to blur the boundary between carrying out justice, and state sanctioned murder...

Is it morally right for the state to 'cure' someone just so you can execute them?
                                Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Working...
                                X