Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A bit of Torture anyone? Oh, well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stateside, I think the staggering amount of Americans that support or don't care about our use of torture are thinking along the lines of "they hurt me, so I'll hurt them back."

Comment

Thanks L'Etranger, but I think the similarity is more in the fact the general public have been trained to fear.
      sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
      And incense the power of man with God
      But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
      And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
      by Peter Cape

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkun Grasjakal View Post
        Stateside, I think the staggering amount of Americans that support or don't care about our use of torture are thinking along the lines of "they hurt me, so I'll hurt them back."
        With the result that various victims are thinking, "they hurt me, so I'll hurt them back." Totally self-defeating. But they're not interested in hearing that.
        sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
        And incense the power of man with God
        But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
        And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
        by Peter Cape

Comment

What happened makes me very angry and sad. The CIA disgraced itself for very little or no benefit to the nation. Personally I blame Dick Cheney but I'm not privy to the information that would make that a serious accusation. It bothers me that 120 or so people were tortured in my name but it bothers me more that so many of my countrymen seem to be completely comfortable with that fact.
          That said, I think it's a step forward that this information has been made public. I think this sort of thing has happened behind closed doors around the world since the dawn of time. Perhaps now that it's been recognized as an issue it will be easier to address. I'm not really that optimistic but one can hope.

*edit* Everyone knew that people were being water-boarded. It was in the news. Bush knew and Cheney actively defended the practice. This report didn't really tell us anything other than specific numbers.

Comment

Working...
          X