Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

This is I, a right-winger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is I, a right-winger.

President Dilma was re-elected president of Brazil two weeks ago by an average rate of 52% against 48% that scored the second candidate.

The only good thing about this, let me just personally say, is that Dilma is a woman.

Dilma's party PT ( Worker's Party, a so called modern social party which I have supported until 2002 - when they finally won the elections ) has in theory fought poverty, attaining to social works and trying to increase the quality of life of the poorest percentage of the Brazilian population. While I find this argument arguable it has to be said that PT and Dilma did it to support their position ahead of Brazil's government. In the last 12 years PT has been several times incriminated by corruption and several of its most important key persons were even put into jail.

PT supporters argue that "you can only do a revolution with some wild riots but you need to play the game well", which they have been using as an excuse to justify why PT endorses corruption. I wish I could tell that PT leaders are not making profits from this "fight", but that is not true.

PT was largely formed by people like me, who were middle class thinking persons who used to abhor lack of moral, ethics and wanted to give the Brazilians much better lives. Today, I am not sure if they, PTers still think much about these ideas.

Anyway, in order to gain more votes this time, PT had to split the population and electors into different groups. In 2002 when they won for the first time, people from all classes voted for them, but after 12 years their relationship with the middle class has quite deteriorated because PT focused solely on the poorest sections, which is something theoretically right when a country starves, but PT made the lives of a large percentage of the population, middle class, in average, harder while they improved life standards for the more poor. So, if you want to save the poor, someone needs to pay the price.

During this last election, the votes were quite polarized, because PT saw that their only way of wining again was to ask the poorest sections to unite against the evil nasty middle class who are guilty of all evils that have been made to Brazil. They associated middle class to elite.

How do they make things look evil ? PT has re-defined the concept of middle class by making a simple decrease in the thresholds, so that what has been middle class, now it is called elite and rich. So, Pt said "you are now to decide to vote to us who saved you or you will favor the elite".

Believe me: reading, listening to foreign music, watching films this is all an elite thing for them.

And guess what: if a certain person disagrees of PT, "this person is a right winger against social improvements", so their supporters say. While I abhor the idea of becoming another left wing day light dreamer country like Venezuela I am certainly not a right winger. I condemn corruption, lack of moral and ethics, public money stealing, hunger, lack of perspectives and specially a real massacre against 80 million Brazilians that do not follow the guidelines of old fashioned leftists.

Well, I forgot to mention that everything is fine for the real rich percentage of our population, where we could easily include PT leaders like former president Lula.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Sounds like a lot of people I find difficult to get on with here in the UK.

Comment

Zlogdan,
      I currently have great problems accepting what the "Left" in my country is doing lately, but that doesn't make me a right-winger either. I'm simply not a follower of any party and decide on a daily common sense basis what to do, who to support. I've always had this sense of independence, while of course I opposed social injustice whenever I could. Its just that all parties and ideologies have shown up flaws in time, some more serious and alarming than others, so off with blinders, we are not coach horses!

Don't worry too much Zlodan, labels can be such a cage.

Ooops, before you catch me lying - I forgot to mention I strongly adhere to the International Moorcockistas.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

I think it has been a victory of the right that they have, in many places round the world, shifted political debate so far that way that parties that used to be "left wing" are now espousing policies that would have placed them as right wing 30 or so years ago. Here in Australia, the last election was fought between a very "Teaparty" inspired extreem right party, mostly on a nasty combination of sexism directed at our last Prime Minister, and "boarder protection" that was mostly about ignoring international law and brutalizing refugees. The traditionally left wing/pro union party put forward almost zero ideas that could be described as left wing, and went to some effort to distance itself from the Green party, which is actually left wing.

Sad, really

Comment

These things often change over the decades ... remember Abraham Lincoln was a Republican!
          Google ergo sum

Comment

I used to think that our former president Lula was a wise, smart, humble fellow that despite lacking formal education was a leader by excellence. It took me 2 months after his election to see that I was wrong. He was nothing of what I thought except smart.

If one looks at the Wikipedia for Lula's entry one certainly would see "the paladin of morality, the savior for the poor the ultimate left wing leader".

So unlike reality unfortunately...

And think that I convinced a lot of my friends to vote for him, I defended his supposed ideals for years.
            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
            X