Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What if we donated ....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
    We'll be contributing, of course, but I also thought I might have a rarity or two we could auction in aid of the victims. Wotcher fink, Berry ?
    I have enquired about Arthur C. Clarke, by the way, fearing that he might have been hurt, but second hand sources assure me that he's ok.
    Let's do it. What you got and what's the starting bid. I'll go build a bigger page for this tomorrow. Shall we designate DWB as the benefactor?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I'm trying to see what rarities I have and will get back to you on that soon. Meanwhile, yes, let's make DWB the benefactor, if everyone here agrees with that.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
      The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
      Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
      The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
      Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

As a likely bidder :D , I think that is a great choice.

Comment

News on Arthur C. Clarke http://www.space.com/news/tsunami_clarke_041227.html

Comment

At least one bit of good news: not all Stoneage tribesmen on the Nicobars seem to have been killed. A helicopter of the Indian Airforce trying to bring supplies was chased away with a hail of arrows, according to a report in "Der Spiegel"/Online. Couldn't refrain from grinning when I read this.
            Google ergo sum

Comment

Strange, too, how India is responding at the moment. Contains a vast population of the world's poor but is saying she doesn't need help. I can understand this, as India strives to take her place as a world power, but it IS a bit missplaced, as far as the victims are concerned.
              Meanwhile, pards, you'll note that we are about to start a new auction in aid of victims, proceeds to Medecins Sans Frontieres -- which is now the most appropriate outfit, in my view, to get the necessary medicines and medical help to the survivors.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Nicobars, LEtranger, I raised the fate of the Shompen on another thread.
                You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Foreknowledge of A Natural Disaster:
                  Washington was aware that a deadly Tidal Wave was building up in the Indian Ocean
                  by Michel Chossudovsky

The US Military and the State Department were given advanced warning. America's Navy base on the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean was notified.

Why were fishermen in India, Sri Lanka and Thailand not provided with the same warnings as the US Navy and the US State Department?

Why did the US State Department remain mum on the existence of an impending catastrophe?

With a modern communications system, why did the information not get out? By email, telephone, fax, satellite TV... ?

It could have saved the lives of thousands of people.
                  http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO412C.html

Make up your own minds on this one. Needless to say, the conspiracy theorists are working overtime, noting the role of the US military in providing aid to Indonesia:

The earthquake that produced the Tsunami was generated by a series of submarine explosions spaced and timed in such a way that the force of the wave combined at the targeted focus point to trigger the earthquake -- a much bigger earthquake that otherwise would have obtained by natural (unaided) geological process.
                  (from a mad e-mail someone kindly forwarded me...) :?
                  \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

It's amazing how much conspiracy theorists can drag into their narrow universes.

On a different note, I came across this story http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science...eut/index.html on my travels. If the earth can shift this much, then it helps one to understand how somethng this devastating can happen.
                    You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
                      Thanks for the info on the Nicobars, LEtranger, I raised the fate of the Shompen on another thread.
                      There's more about surviving tribes, this time on a Thai island of Ko Surin Thai.
                      http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...335303,00.html

One needs these little news bits of relief in all the tragedy.

No sأ©. آ؟Quien eres tu?
                      William Bonney?
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Conspiracy theories are a very strange form of escapism, I must say. They frequently shift attention away from human costs. Maybe those who come up with them in this case simply can't bear the horror. Or maybe they're the people who would have blamed God for the disasters a century or so ago. Some people, of course, still see God as the main instigator. If so, it's hard to say why God is whacking the Indian Ocean so hard, or the SE coasts of America, for that matter. Of course, if God has been banished at last by the various devilish forces he's been helping superheroes fight, then that would explain everything. Hmm. I think I'm on to something...

Comment

I don't know how Christians cope with this sort of thing. A "test of faith" I suppose. Just keep singing Kumbaya...
                          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

It did occurr to me that God was trying to say, in the case of hurricanes and such, that he definitely wasn't on America's side. But I'm not sure whether or not he was telling Sri Lanka to get her act together and suggest to India that she should be dealing with her millions of people below the poverty line...
                            This explanation of God's actions is not the view in the US heartland, where crosses are now appearing decorated in the colours of the American flag. My minister brother-in-law also told me about a new Bible which is bound in a rippling Stars and Stripes. Are those guys confused!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                              Foreknowledge of A Natural Disaster:
                              Washington was aware that a deadly Tidal Wave was building up in the Indian Ocean
                              by Michel Chossudovsky

The US Military and the State Department were given advanced warning. America's Navy base on the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean was notified.
                              Errm, au contraire.... The USGS issued a tsunami bulletin to the entire Indian Ocean Basin -- including, presumably, the Diego Garcia refuelling base -- within 20 minutes of the quake. Several "mainstream" news-sources reported this, so there's a small but finite chance it could even be true. :o

The problem with sub-ocean earthquakes and tsunami prediction is that they frequently don't produce tsunamis. There has to be a vertical component to the ground shift to cause one, and many earthquakes are purely lateral slips.

I was startled that this earthquake was not the most deadly in history...indeed, not the most deadly within the last quarter-century; a 1976 earthquake in China was reported by the Chinese to have killed 200,000+....but independent observers put the number at 655,000. Yipes! And I gather there was no tsunami involved....

Donation made (to the International Red Cross). I'll send some more, hopefully, after I see my first paycheck of the new year and the changes thereupon. (I'm a Federal employee, so one never knows what the new year will bring.)

Comment

I don't think it's at all useful to blame the USA for everything. There have been other attempts to attack the US here. The fact is that, aside from Bush sounding as if he's reading badly off an autocue, America has responded well, if a little sluggishly at first. Let's give credit where it's due -- especially to the good hearts of the majority of Americans. Plenty of people, from Anan to Prince Charles, have praised the astonishing response of the rest of the world to this disaster. While I don't intend this to distract me from my opposition to a foolishly conceived and unjust war in Iraq, it's obvious that when the American public has straight information, it acts well. The problem with the war is the spin that's been involved from government to media. If only more of the military were available to help in Indonesia! Read this:

BBC News

US army reserve a 'broken' force
                                The commander of the US army reserve says it is rapidly degenerating into a "broken" force.

Lt Gen James Helmly, in a leaked memo to the Pentagon, says the reserve has reached a point where it cannot fulfil its missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Reservists provide a large share of US troops in Iraq. The army says Gen Helmly's concerns are being addressed.

But analysts say they will fuel criticism that Pentagon policies are harming the US all-volunteer military.

The army reserve is a force of about 200,000 part-time soldiers who chose not to sign-up for active duty but can be mobilised in time of need.

Together with National Guard troops - who also serve part-time - reservists account for about 40% of US troops in Iraq.

Burden

The internal memorandum was first reported on Wednesday by the Baltimore Sun newspaper, and appeared on the internet later in the day.

In it, Gen Helmly says that under current procedures his forces will be unable "to meet mission requirements associated with Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom" in Afghanistan.

The purpose of this memorandum is to inform you of the Army Reserve's inability under current policies... to meet mission requirements
                                Gen James Helmly
                                Gen Helmly takes issue with a number of "dysfunctional" Pentagon practices, including:

Financial incentives to attract and retain reservists on active duty, which the general says confuses "volunteers" with "mercenaries"

Reservists being called to active duty at only a few days' notice

Reserve troops being required to leave equipment for other forces after serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The BBC's Nick Childs in Washington says such blunt words from a senior general are likely to provide further ammunition for critics who argue that the current policies are doing long-term harm to America's all-volunteer military.

US armed forces have been placed under considerable strain by the wars launched by President George W Bush during his first term.

Some commentators have accused Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld of not accepting that huge troop deployments were needed, notably in Iraq.

Reacting to the leaked memo, Senator Jack Reed, a Democrat, told the Associated Press news agency: "By consistently underestimating the number of troops necessary for the successful occupation of Iraq, the administration has placed a tremendous burden on the Army Reserve and created this crisis."

In its response, the army said it acknowledged that changes have to be made in the way reserves are used and mobilised to deal with the new threats.
                                Story from BBC NEWS:
                                http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...as/4150749.stm

Published: 2005/01/06 09:30:39 GMT

Comment

Working...
                                X