Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Let's sue Bush, Inc!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's sue Bush, Inc!

I came across this recently. I dunno if it's true or not...

Lawsuit filed against Bush, Inc...

http://www.solarbus.org/stealyourele..._Contest_2.pdf
    \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
    Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Oh, it's legit alright. An attorney named Arnebeck filed an emergency suit to expedite things (LINK), but was shot down by Republican Ohio Supreme Court Justice Thomas J. Moyer (LINK). Big surprise there.

"In the ruling... Moyer orders those contesting the election to answer two questions: (1) Whether the suit is moot because it was filed too late, and (2) Whether there is a legal significance in delaying the hearing until after Congress certifies the results of the electoral college Jan. 6, 2005.

"Moyer had previously dismissed the first iteration of the suit—which also contested his own election—ruling that two elections could not be challenged in the same suit."

(emphasis mine)
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised. If people don't get they want through the legitamate legistlative process, so they sue. Funny how these are the same people who were so upset that the process was decided by the courts last time. This is like a bunch of children who didn't get their way, so they're going to sue.

Comment

Like the Republicans interested in the Washington mayoral race right now.
        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"

Comment

Originally posted by Jerico
          Like the Republicans interested in the Washington mayoral race right now.
          He meant gubernatorial race, folks. That's Republican Dino Rossi against Democrat Christine Gregoire. Rossi won two machine counts and Gregoire won a (more accurate) hand count.

Just a quick bit of info for those who might not be following my state's messy-ass race for Governor.

Comment

If I remember today's newpaper report, correctly--
            Only 130 votes decided the election.

The Republicans are challenging on two grounds, the key one relating to the 700 initially disqualified votes that were then admitted to the hand count because the courts found that they were arbitrarily disqualified.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
              The Republicans are challenging on two grounds, the key one relating to the 700 initially disqualified votes that were then admitted to the hand count because the courts found that they were arbitrarily disqualified.
              Yes, but it is VERY important to note that several red counties added extra ballots without even asking if it was okay! King County's biggest error, it seems, was in being honest and following protocol.

"The state Republican Party's lawsuit seeks to stop King County from including 723 newly discovered ballots in the hand recount of the excruciatingly close race for governor.

"But five other counties have already done what King County wants to do, and the Supreme Court's ruling on the case could affect voters all over the state.

"'In similar situations, ballots like these were counted,' [state Elections Director Nick] Handy said."

(emphasis mine)

http://www.theolympian.com/home/news...es/53526.shtml

I'd also like to mention that even without the 723 extra ballots, Gregoire still won by 10 votes. So there.

Comment

It was MSNBC where it was said our system isn't good at handling close elections (obviously). We are so divided down the middle. It's a shame though that there's so much litigation because of it. Such was the case with the mayoral race here in my town.

I believe it was Ron Reagan who was talking. I like him.

Then he was challenging the right winger, Monica Crowley (something like that). Oh guess what she looks like? (seems to be a Republican strategy)

tv ::sigh::

Comment

I thought it was funny how that Dowd guy who was a public relations cronie for the Bush campaign wore a hat on the eve of elections. He was probably told to wear it (to cover up his bald head).

"There you look much better now, Dowd! Now tell 'em how great Bush is."

Comment

I didn't get the beginning, Seأ±ores, which Banana Republic are you talking about?
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

Let me say up front that anyone who knows me knows where my sympathies lie in this particular case.

It does seem odd that a nation presently imposing democracy on another depends, increasingly, on its courts to decide whose votes count and whose do not. If the Democrats were coming out on the losing end of this, they would be bitter and in the courts, but they aren't. I think it will be interesting to see how it works out. Will Washington Democrats be telling Washington Republicans to "just get over it" like Republicans did nationally in 2000?

That's why two-party politics is my favorite spectator sport. Everything that one party despises and criticizes will soon be the tactic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                        If the Democrats were coming out on the losing end of this, they would be bitter and in the courts, but they aren't.
                        Well...

Dino Rossi (R) won two machine counts. He started saying Chris Gregoire (D) should concede and that were he in her shoes, that's what he would do.

Because the election was so close, Democrats requested a more-accurate hand recount (funded mostly by John Kerry, BTW) and Gregoire ended up winning by 10 votes, without the help of the additional 723 King County votes. Did Dino Rossi concede as he barked he would if he had ended up the loser? No. In fact, he seemed to go into hiding. He was incommunicado for a while.

I agree that both sides are capable of slimy moves and slimier motives, Doc, but in the Washington Governor's race, Dino Rossi has proven himself to be as greasy as his hair. (See my comment above about how red counties added ballots without asking.)

This race is like a microcosm of the presidential election. I sit back and wonder why half my state would vote for a real estate tycoon who wants to impose a Bed Tax on nursing home patients as opposed to the State Attorney General who got the highest settlement in history from tobacco companies. Are they misogynistic or just plain stupid? Hard to say.

Comment

Rossi's a freaking hypocrite!

Rossi/Gregoire Update:

Maybe I should put this in my [broken link]Hypocrisy Thread, as well...

Rossi (who, after only winning by 42 votes in the original recount, repeatedly urged Christine Gregoire to concede) has now asked Gregoire for a new election in light of her final win by 129 votes! What a freaking hypocrite!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._rossi30m.html

I heard on the news this morning that Gregoire has refused his request. Go girl.

Of course, the Republicans have 10 days to contest the findings, and I am certain they will. Rossi obviously can't stand losing. Afterall, we're talking about a guy who stuck by his crooked real estate mentor, Melvin Heide, all the way up to Heide's conviction for real estate fraud. His excuse? He "thought everyone was going to be repaid."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...choice29m.html

Sorry this thread went from the suit against Bush to the Rossi/Gregoire race, Jer. Oh. wait, you're the one who shifted the topic. Now I don't feel so bad. :D
                          Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 03:39 AM.

Comment

I actually thought about what I had written previously as I was reading the newspaper this morning and saw the report on the election. Every Republican who told Gore's supporters to get over it needs to talk to this guy. Asking for a new election? Are you kidding?

Sadly, he was very serious.

I'm guessing this is another case of a pampered gazillionaire that can't stand losing, especially because he's used to changing rules that don't suit him. That's the only way I can make sense of ASKING FOR A NEW ELECTION 8O

Almost equally surprising is Washington politics. I expect people to vote against their interests here in Texas, but Washington is supposed to be smarter than that. I guess California was supposed to be smarter than that, too. (Sorry about having Ah-nold as Guv-ah-nah of Kalliforneeah, Jer.)

Comment

I will shift any thread to any new topic in order to continue discussion.

Arnold is a different kind of monster. Reagan was an actor, but did he have the kind of star power that Arnold has? It is unprecedented isn't it?

I just saw Spidey 2 and shed a tear cuz they toyed with my emotions with the "hero sacrifices his dreams and doesn't get the girl" idea -- I can relate to that. But then he gets the girl of course. Bah humbug!

Anyone eat at der Weinerschnitzel lately? Damn! 100 points to anyone who can spell that correctly off the top of yer head.

I hope I am finally getting over the flu, I think that heaviness in my lungs is finally going away. Or maybe it's cancer?

I need to wash my feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X