Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Freedom of Speach vs. Political Correctness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom of Speach vs. Political Correctness

A friend pointed me to this article about receding liberty in the UK.
    What is behind this or is this an extreme example or simply distorted?
    http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/201...n-a-Mad-House/

Who is CBN, anyway, does it have a certain agenda? Please enlighten me.
    Google ergo sum

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
    Who is CBN, anyway, does it have a certain agenda? Please enlighten me.
    CBN = Christian Broadcasting News, which seems to be part of Pat Robertson's media empire so I imagine it does have a certain agenda.

Fact is, the UK doesn't have a First Amendment as the US does; we do however have anti-discrimination and anti-hate (speech) legislation which mean there are things you can't say or do without infringing said laws, just as German has specific laws banning the usage/display of Nazi symbols/memorabilia and Holocaust denial.

There is a current 'debate' in the UK over regulation of the Press (cf. Leveson's phone hacking inquiry) mostly concerning whether you can have a free Press if they're actively prohibited from telling lies. (UK broadcast media has strict regulation forcing it to be fair, balanced, impartial and non-partisan; UK print media (currently) has no such limitations.

We're also learning about the perils of self-censorship in reporting and policing of the sexual exploitation of 1400 children in Rotherham over the past 16 years by men from, predominately, a Pakistani ethnic background.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks, David for completing the picture. It is already hubristic to call one's news service "Christian" and thereby giving the impression it is unchallengeably the voice of all Christians.
      Here, in Germany there is frequently a conflict based on two core ideas of our constitution (created in 1949), one basic and unnegotiable right says that the Dignity of a person is unviolable, the other guarantees the freedom of Information and Expression, only limited in cases where it infringes other basic rights.
      Reality as always is not totally congruent. It is sometimes a tightrope serious media have to walk on.
      Last edited by L'Etranger; 08-28-2014, 12:21 PM.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post

We're also learning about the perils of self-censorship in reporting and policing of the sexual exploitation of 1400 children in Rotherham over the past 16 years by men from, predominately, a Pakistani ethnic background.
        The young, weak and vulnerable willing sacrificed for the sake of 'keeping up appearances' how very British.

I've no doubt 'political correctness' and fear of looking racist, played their part, however, the authorities holding up their hands and saying, 'because political correctness' doesn't really cut it alone. The really horrible thing about the Rotherham case, is the fact that there was a whole macho, bullying and elitist culture all too ready to disbelieve, despise and blame the victims of the abuse, rather than the perpetrators. Not only amongst criminal elements in the Pakistani community or the wider 'Asian' community, but also deep rooted, in the very British institutions - the authorities; the police; the social services; the care sector; the local politicians, who were supposed to be protecting young, weak and vulnerable girls. Beneath the surface, there appears to be a deep vein of misogyny running through both cultures. That's in the report too, although it's the PC angle that's getting all the attention.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...tani-community

Comment

Good point PM.

There is another aspect to this, that of the involvement of the South Yorkshire Police force. This is the same South Yorkshire Police force that perpetrated, along with others, the biggest establishment cover up in modern times, that of the Hillsborough Disaster.

And this is the same South Yorkshire Police force that tipped off the BBC recently and allowed them to broadcast on live TV their raid on Cliff Richard's home.

I wonder if the Beeb offered to go easy on them about Rochdale if they were allowed to get the scoop on the Cliff raid.

Just a thought....

Comment

@P_M: Oh absolutely. This wretched PCC Shaun Wright, who was the Rotherham council cabinet member with responsibility for children's services from 2005 to 2010 has defended decision not to resign on the grounds that he wasn't aware of the scale of abuse. The SCALE of abuse?!! In other words, he knew there was child abuse and exploitation going on but was prepared to accept a lesser degree of child rape as somehow tolerable? That's just fucking obscene.
            Last edited by David Mosley; 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM.
            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

This isn't political correctness, it is just plain disgraceful.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...port-rotherham

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                This isn't political correctness, it is just plain disgraceful.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...port-rotherham
                It is more than disgraceful. Heads should roll across the board and in Rochdale.

I think Rotherham social services were authority that would not lead a couple adopt because they were UKIP supporters.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_2195818.html

The Radio 4 media prog yesterday had the Times journalist on, who has been investigating the case over the last few years. It was scary that even Barnados would not talk to him, even off the record. He was saying this pattern extends not only in the north, but down to Oxfordshire.

We have heard that the Police would arrest the abused and in one case, a middle class parent who tried to save his daughter from her abusers. They were saying how they shouted and shouted to everyone, David Blunkett being their MP.

Like PV, I remembered it was the same South Yorks police force who has form. On the other hand, I felt the BBC were just trying to hide their own shame of Saville and his fellows.

Remember, the general election, when Gordon Brown called Gillian Buffy, a bigot?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8649012.stm

No wonder, politicians are losing the trust of the general public.
                Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

This Rotherham stuff reminds me of the Canada's disappeared and murdered native women issue. In both cases it looks like some authorities consider the victims expendable, people not worthy of the protections and considerations most take for granted.

I just took a look at the Independent Inquiry (http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/download...e_in_rotherham) and this is some world class level of contempt:
                  Child A (2000)6 was 12 when the risk of sexual exploitation became known. She was associating with a group of older Asian men and possibly taking drugs. She disclosed having had intercourse with 5 adults. Two of the adults received police cautions after admitting to the Police that they had intercourse with Child A. Child A continued to go missing and was at high risk of sexual exploitation. A child protection case conference was held. It was agreed by all at the conference that Child A should be registered. However, the CID representative argued against the category of sexual abuse being used because he thought that Child A had been ‘100% consensual in every incident’.
                  Fortunately the CID rep was overruled, but WTFingFFF?!?!?
                  Last edited by Heresiologist; 08-28-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I'm disappointed that "conspiracy" and/or "aiding and abetting" charges haven't been brought into play in Rotherham.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
                      This Rotherham stuff reminds me of the Canada's disappeared and murdered native women issue. In both cases it looks like some authorities consider the victims expendable, people not worthy of the protections and considerations most take for granted.
                      Wanderlust has been pointing out these 'disappearances' and the lack of action in some parts of the Canadian Government.

Excellent article by Simon Danczuk.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-incident.html

The scary thing, it is more widespread that thought.

Rothgo - Agreed. Or possible, if not then the charge of negligence or derelict of duty.
                      Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014...-statue-prison

Pennsylvania Teenager Simulates Oral Sex With Jesus Statue, Faces 2 Years in Prison

I personally feel it's a thoughtless and irritating thing for a kid to do but in no way should it be illegal per se in a free country. They could probably get away with writing a ticket for trespassing, but the church didn't even call the police.

Comment

I'd agree Opa; though, had somebody punched him as a result, I'd pretty much not prosecute that either. As it's obviously not OK to punch people, it's also obvious that I'm inconsistent!

It is tricky: people can be deliberately offensive*: that is a cost of freedom we should be prepared to pay - after all, I'm sure to offend some folks too! Indeed, some folks go out of their way to be offended wherever they can... The issue then moves onto "Then what?" No matter what way you cut it; the case in point is a slap-on-wrists at most: prison? Hammer/nut time.

*Causing offense and "incitement to <blah>" aren't the same - sometimes obviously, sometimes less so.

Comment

Working...
                          X