Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

04 election results vs. Pre-Civil War Free vs. Slave states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kymba334 View Post
    Originally posted by Peacemaker View Post
    Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
    Out of curiosity: Is Obama that bad ? Wasn't Bush the greatest evil lord since his father ? After all, Bill Clinton was a decent president ? It always great to know directly from the people.
    It depends on if you ask a liberal or a conservative. Bush was not the most conservative president by any means but he is often considered a conservative. But, Obama has to be the most disliked when you compare him to other presidents to this time in his first (only?) term. But, incumbents are hard to defeat.
    Bottom line is don't take what you hear "form the people" until you've heard from a good sampling because you can always find a person to tell you anything.
    Off topic again but i have nowhere else to say it: thank you Peacemaker for your continued friendship and i hope everything goes well with your writing career.
    Thanks much, though are political beliefs may be opposing, it does not make us enemies. It just gives us more to talk about. Hope things are going well for you also.
    Check out J. Wade Harrell Fantasy World blog:

http://jwadeharrell.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
      As far as coincidence, isn't it funny that the North, which was anti-slavery votes for the party that wanted to keep blacks enslaved, and the South votes for the party that was created primarily to free blacks from slavery?
      The parties seem to have switched roles when the progressives left the Republicans with Teddy Roosevelt.

To keep the maps more current:

It largely goes along a rural/urban divide, and that makes sense because the slave states were more rural as well.
      I agree with your analysis entirely. What I have found as I talk to my urban friends from other places (me being rural) is that your upbringing and environment shape your values to a large degree such that those who disagree with you seem odd. I cannot fathom some of things my urban friends think and I am sure they feel likewise.

Comment

Let me explain my point: Teddy Roosevelt left the Republican party. The progressives left with him. After a few years, the progressive ideas had spread and progressives sided with the Democrats to elect FDR. In order to get the New Deal in the face of Republican opposition, the progressives had to team up with the southern Democrats, the remnants of the old Democrat party from the 19th century. When the Democrats narrowly passed Civil Rights (etc.) in the 60's, the New Deal coaltion was broken when the racist southern Democrats left the Democratic party and became Republicans, helping to elect Nixon.
        Last edited by opaloka; 08-27-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

""

Bottom line is don't take what you hear "form the people" until you've heard from a good sampling because you can always find a person to tell you anything.
          You know, for "people", I mean the people here at this forum. That have better opinion than the average American "people".

To me as a Brazilian, it is theoretically always best to have a Republican president, since they have more straight relationships with our leaders. But honestly I don't care for the Brazilian politicians. Clinton and Obama always looked me as "decent people" in spite of their flaws.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
            You know, for "people", I mean the people here at this forum. That have better opinion than the average American "people".

To me as a Brazilian, it is theoretically always best to have a Republican president, since they have more straight relationships with our leaders. But honestly I don't care for the Brazilian politicians. Clinton and Obama always looked me as "decent people" in spite of their flaws.
            Well, the point I was trying to make is that depending on where you are from in the U.S. and whether you are more rural or urban determines a lot about that person's philosophy. That philosophy affects their politics greatly. So, it depends on which type of person you ask and if you don't get a good sampling you will only hear certain views.

Comment

Working...
            X