Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

04 election results vs. Pre-Civil War Free vs. Slave states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 election results vs. Pre-Civil War Free vs. Slave states

Coincidence?

So, who won the Civil war?
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Depends on who you ask.

Generally it's agree that the North won, but some Southerners disagree, of course some people say the holocaust never happened, and some people think Castro is a saint.

Seriously though, it was a clear win for the North.

If you actually look at these maps though, the points of simmilarty are not that strong. I'm a bit surprised by how few states Kerry took.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
        some people think Castro is a saint
        Halleluyah brother!
        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Slavery is freedom 8O

Comment

Farenheit 1984

Originally posted by ReaveTheJust
            Slavery is freedom 8O
            Did you hand over your remaining books to the firemen as required by statute, or have you just memorized the text?

Comment

Originally posted by liar_on_high View Post
              Coincidence?

The top map is technically incorrect. "Indian Territory" was actually three sepearate territories and never a "slave state". What is now Oklahoma was Indian Territory (Eastern Oklahoma), Oklahoma Territory (Western Oklahoma), and No Man's Land (Panhandle). There were never legal slaves in the panhandle and I don't know of any in the western part of the state. However, some of the Five Civilized Indian Tribes in the eastern half of the state did own slaves. During the civil war, the Cherokee tribe split in half over which side to go along with in the Civil War. Oklahoma was not a state until 1907, about 4 decades after the Civil War.
              I live in Oklahoma and am a bit of an area history buff so I just thought I would comment on that.
              As far as coincidence, isn't it funny that the North, which was anti-slavery votes for the party that wanted to keep blacks enslaved, and the South votes for the party that was created primarily to free blacks from slavery?
              Check out J. Wade Harrell Fantasy World blog:

http://jwadeharrell.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Originally posted by Peacemaker View Post
                As far as coincidence, isn't it funny that the North, which was anti-slavery votes for the party that wanted to keep blacks enslaved, and the South votes for the party that was created primarily to free blacks from slavery?
                The parties seem to have switched roles when the progressives left the Republicans with Teddy Roosevelt.

To keep the maps more current:

It largely goes along a rural/urban divide, and that makes sense because the slave states were more rural as well.

Comment

Out of curiosity: Is Obama that bad ? Wasn't Bush the greatest evil lord since his father ? After all, Bill Clinton was a decent president ? It always great to know directly from the people.
                  Last edited by zlogdan; 08-27-2012, 03:02 AM. Reason: grammar
                  "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                  "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

IMO Obama is doing a good job, considering the economic and political climate. I think to a lof of people he represents a 'changing of the guard' in a lot of ways so they are going crazy with fear qand loathing. On the other side you've got people who wanted things to get better very quickly and they are dissapointed. They want to feel optiism and IMO have some unrealistic expectations for a president in a Democracy.

Bush seriously damaged the strength and credibility of the nation and whenever that happens people start freaking out. All that has to play out. There's got to be a 'restoration' after the pretty dire failure of the Republicans before much progress can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                      IMO Obama is doing a good job, considering the economic and political climate. I think to a lof of people he represents a 'changing of the guard' in a lot of ways so they are going crazy with fear qand loathing. On the other side you've got people who wanted things to get better very quickly and they are dissapointed. They want to feel optiism and IMO have some unrealistic expectations for a president in a Democracy.

Bush seriously damaged the strength and credibility of the nation and whenever that happens people start freaking out. All that has to play out. There's got to be a 'restoration' after the pretty dire failure of the Republicans before much progress can be made.
                      I truly fear the return of the Republican Party to the White House and this November they may actually win ... ..The real problem with Obama is that his reforms have all been filibusterd to hell by these charmers. I pray that the dissapointment felt by many democrat voters doesn't translate into voter apathy this year or we could all be in for a rougher ride in 2013.
                      Last edited by Kymba334; 08-27-2012, 03:53 AM. Reason: missed a capital letter
                      Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                        Out of curiosity: Is Obama that bad ? Wasn't Bush the greatest evil lord since his father ? After all, Bill Clinton was a decent president ? It always great to know directly from the people.
                        It depends on if you ask a liberal or a conservative. Bush was not the most conservative president by any means but he is often considered a conservative. But, Obama has to be the most disliked when you compare him to other presidents to this time in his first (only?) term. But, incumbents are hard to defeat.
                        Bottom line is don't take what you hear "form the people" until you've heard from a good sampling because you can always find a person to tell you anything.

Comment

As far as Obama's approval ratings go, from the polls, that's not really the case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...pproval_rating

I suppose ir all depends on what you mean by 'conservative'. I think a strong argument could be made that Obama and Clinton are true, traditinal conservatives as opposed to reactionaries.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                            It depends on if you ask a liberal or a conservative. Bush was not the most conservative president by any means but he is often considered a conservative. But, Obama has to be the most disliked when you compare him to other presidents to this time in his first (only?) term. But, incumbents are hard to defeat.
                            Bottom line is don't take what you hear "form the people" until you've heard from a good sampling because you can always find a person to tell you anything.
                            Off topic again but i have nowhere else to say it: thank you Peacemaker for your continued friendship and i hope everything goes well with your writing career.
                            Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                              The parties seem to have switched roles when the progressives left the Republicans with Teddy Roosevelt.

To keep the maps more current:

It largely goes along a rural/urban divide, and that makes sense because the slave states were more rural as well.
                              I am not sure which way you meant "left". "Left" can mean to exit or it can mean to impart with. Not knowing exactly what you intended to say, I must comment that Teddy Roosevelt was a progressive. In fact, he was one of the leaders of the progressive movement in the Republican party. The democrats and Republicans did not entirely switch roles as I don't know that they ever became more conservative. I think both parties became more liberal.
                              In fact, it was the democrat party after the Civil War for decades that tried to suppress rights for Blacks and other minority races. One of the worst racial injustices after the Civil War was done by a democrat president by putting Asian Americans in a prison camp during WW2. Many racist laws called Jim Crow laws were instituted for a long time were supported by and large by the Democrat party. Governor Wallace was one of the leaders in support of segregation in the 20th century and he was a Democrat. Most segregationists were Democrat.
                              I don't say this to say that Democrats today are necessarily racist but the idea that the two parties switched roles is not something that I can agree with. Both have changed and wavered over time but the Republican party was initially the party for liberty for all races and they never deviated from that stand. But why I bring up this point is to try to refute the election map comparison because most of the people who were in the red zones are where slavery existed and now they are voting for the party who has stood for minority rights since the Civil War. Times have changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X