Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Support for India's Womanifesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for India's Womanifesto

Stop the rape epidemic

But this is a national crisis and it requires drastic action. Join with an Indian movement to get urgent action to stop violence against women. Experts drafted the Womanifesto -- a common sense plan for urgently needed reforms to stop the rape epidemic. It covers law, policing, medical and psychological support, and crucially -- public education. Other major parties endorsed it, and now Modi must too! Sign now -- let’s get two million people to demand protection for India’s girls and women.

Alaphia Zoyab, Avaaz campaigner
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

What a great site...what a -up thing; thanks for this!!
    sigpic

Comment

Just signed !

I wrote: Why treat women as trash - unless you are trash yourself, rabid cowards! Respect women, their rights and their future and we will all have one. I call on all to cancel their holiday trips to India unless there is a clear rethink of the behaviour there!

But what, I ask you, are 1,979,555 signatures in the face of over a billion Indians of which the majority seems too passive to act. So please spread the word.
      Last edited by L'Etranger; 07-10-2014, 10:06 PM.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
        Just signed !

I wrote: Why treat women as trash - unless you are trash yourself, rabid cowards! Respect women, their rights and their future and we will all have one. I call on all to cancel their holiday trips to India unless there is a clear rethink of the behaviour there!

But what, I ask you, are 1,979,555 signatures in the face of over a billion Indians of which the majority seems to passive to act. So please spread the word.
        Maybe it's why the entire nation of India is living in sh*t (literally)...they have more cellphones than latrines there!! (saw this study when it was just about India, but, apparently, it is a world-wide epidemic now)
        Maybe treat your women better and you won't have sh*t up to your ears (goes for the whole world)!! Karma?
        Definitely a two-pronged argument for why humans are animals (sorry Buddhists )

But, we've got, high hopes...I still think India, China, Africa, etc. will turn it around, but it might be like turning a boat around...we shall see (and do, thanks again for this In Loos Ptokai)
        Last edited by SeeDoubleYou; 07-11-2014, 02:08 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm now, thankfully, addicted to this site...especially considering the newest injustice...World's worst punishment for rape
          Last edited by SeeDoubleYou; 07-11-2014, 05:22 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

I've just spent a fortnight in India with work. I'm setting up a project to build a factory near Chennai in the South East.

The country is changing very rapidly, although attitudes are following much more slowly.

In Delhi tower blocks are flying up at a rate of knots, but you look at them as you drive past and think how many of them might collapse at any minute because of shoddy building practices, and how many people died during the build because of poor health and safety.

And as you drive around in the 40+ degree heat in your air conditioned luxury you see the guys taking a dump by the side of the road, and the pigs and cattle scavenging for food in the wastelands that surround the new buildings and you realise how far the country still has to go.

It will take years for attitudes to catch up. We visited a factory north of Delhi and the work culture was excellent, but we only saw one woman on the shop floor. There was one women only bathroom on the entire site.

In a workshop to discuss the design of the new factory, we asked about disabled access and the response was one of bafflement. Why would you give disabled people access? They don't work. They're poor people who beg.

We also asked about facilities for women. We were told that there was a law that said that if you employed women on a shift system you were constrained to 7am to 7pm shifts and were obliged to provide a creche if the ratio was greater than 30% female on any shift. We were reassured that there wouldn't be enough women employed on the shop floor to justify the 7 to 7 timing or the expense of a creche.

Away from the factory we saw separate queues for women at historic monuments like the Taj Mahal, but I suspect that is to protect them from men who are so unused to being in the presence of a woman that they don't know how to behave themselves. I was travelling with an athletic 30 year old white women who was not pestered but was certainly stared at. She is not the most self confident person and it did have an effect on her.

To be fair to India and Indians, it is a staggeringly beautiful country with epic history and some of the most charming and friendly people you could possibly meet. If you go with an attitude that the people who bother you in markets and on rickshaws are just trying to make a living and see you as a wealthy customer then you can see why they do what they do.

However, as a nation it is miles behind the western world in social attitudes and physical infrastructure and will become a sophisticated global economic player long before it becomes a sophisticated modern society.

Comment

Great post, porcus. Keep up the great work!
              Not hating on India, nor any other impoverished (socially or economically or both) nations...I want what is best for all of us (says the oppressive parent), but how do you go about getting that without dissent about injustice? How do you critique wrong-doing without adding to that wrong-doing by pointing out how wrong it is?
              Age-old argument but the world is growing up and though I may be ostracized by the dewy-eyed (blinded by their own romantic indifference [not you, porcus, you're on the frontlines, as it were]), there is a difference between the wisdom of going beyond/transcending right-and-wrong and placing a value (social or economic or both) on what we do to ourselves, each other, and our world as people/beings. ah, Paradox
              There, now, ostrich-size me...
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you for this link. I have signed the petition although, for a time I lived in a country very like India with at least as bad a rape problem, Mexico. There is one difference in attitude between the 2 countries; if a Mexican woman kicks the Bejesus out of her attacker it is considered 'his problem' and she will even get a certain amount of support. In India a woman is expected to passively accept rape, gang rape, torture and murder!

I commented on the petition that ,"Women are obviously superior to their assaliants because we have not made it a habit to kill off the evil men. If we did, we would not have this problem century after century. Women ARE the future as we ARE the very example to humanity of life, caring for life and preserving life. To destroy women is to destroy the Future."

Comment

Working...
                X