Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

World War Three, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katherine Amorette Lebonheur View Post
    China?
    Yep, there are several variants -

1. Japan-China island dispute, not helped when the Japanese bought out the owner.

2. Vietnam-China - another island dispute

3. Philippines-China - More islands dispute

4. Taiwan-China - Some quiet ugly scene in Taiwan as some of the old guard want to take the Chinese 'dollar', but the youngster are not keen

5. The perennial Indian-China border dispute

6. Korea-Everyone else except maybe China

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...-u-s-official/

Luckily, the US President keeps too low profile, to sabre rattle as he is too busy with the middle east and the Ukraine.
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by Pebble View Post
      Originally posted by Katherine Amorette Lebonheur View Post
      China?
      Yep, there are several variants -

1. Japan-China island dispute, not helped when the Japanese bought out the owner.

2. Vietnam-China - another island dispute

3. Philippines-China - More islands dispute

4. Taiwan-China - Some quiet ugly scene in Taiwan as some of the old guard want to take the Chinese 'dollar', but the youngster are not keen

5. The perennial Indian-China border dispute

6. Korea-Everyone else except maybe China

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...-u-s-official/

Luckily, the US President keeps too low profile, to sabre rattle as he is too busy with the middle east and the Ukraine.
      It sounds worse even than Middle East's problem.
      Do it today!!! It may be illegal tomorrow!!!

Comment

I do not worry so much about the Far East, really. The economies there have too much to lose.
        Ukraine's what makes me nervous. Mr. Macho Putin wanting to reclaim the Grandness of a Russian/Soviet Empire and an nearly just as suspicious lot of people on the other side. Now it looks like a large infiltration of Russian forces (who are better trained and equipped than the thugs they are supporting) infiltrating. Maybe it is test to see what the US and Europe do in dire cases of expansion... But I personally don't need a Ukraine lead by a very mixed assortment of people that includes Mafiosi and Fascists.

Sooner or later, Afghanistan will be lost to the Taleban again, and the Middle East will go up in flames between very surprising new coalitions.
        It still won't be a World War, but a world in many wars.
        Some of this we owe to GWB, but clearly not all. The "West" made so many mistakes that lost her the credibility and sympathy of so many peoples and nations long before the Bushoviks came out of nursery school.
        Google ergo sum

Comment

It makes me think of all those science-fiction shows where the space aliens trick humans into fighting each other. It never takes much to persuade humans to go to war.

Aside from that, I guess the past world's empire building caused many present problems in the Middle East.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
            I do not worry so much about the Far East, really. The economies there have too much to lose.
            The same was said in 1914.......

On the other hand, today with Russian troops in Ukraine with the separatists. Looks like the odds are shortening.

Comment

I've recently been reading My Experiences in the Third World War and in his Introduction Mike, writing in 1980, says:
              "I currently hold the belief that any large scale future war will be averted (if it is averted) simply from fear, from the knowledge of the irreversible consequences[*] of engaging in such a war."
              It's to be hoped, I think, that such a belief still holds sway today.

[*As Einstein said, "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
              _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
              _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
              _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Pebble View Post
                The same was said in 1914.......

On the other hand, today with Russian troops in Ukraine with the separatists. Looks like the odds are shortening.
                The large economic powers in Asia are (currently) not driven by Nationalism, but by the urge to secure access to resources and dominate markets. That'll simply "solve itself" somehow. War is not an option, because the opponents' markets are too important form them.

But those in power in Russia and Ukraine have nationalistic or ethnic axes to grind, ultimately irrational things. And I hope the West understands this irrational motor is far more difficult to handle. Putin has been boasting so much that it would ruin his reputation if he backs off, and Ukraine is such a mafia state that we really should not want to have it in the EU, but that would mean "The West" backing off = yet more loss of credibility. A serious effort to support Ukraine militarily would, however, further weaken all efforts to contain the powder kegs in the Middle East - in which Russia has a huge stake: Syria, her only remaining Arab ally and naval base in the larger area... For why did Russia so stubbornly block any stronger measures against the Syrian regime when it was still possible? Now ironically, Assad may seem a less despicable enemy than the one that's frightening everybody currently - IS.
                Google ergo sum

Comment

I don't think Assad is an enemy. He is moderate, I prefer him than ISIS there.
                  Do it today!!! It may be illegal tomorrow!!!

Comment

An excerpt from The Land Leviathan (1974)
                    by Michael Moorcock:
                    "Perhaps he will begin to see how wasteful his schemes are, how his talents could be better put to improving the world and making it into a place where all races live in equality and peace together.
                    This is in relation to the fictional (AW) version of South Africa and the man Cicero Hood creating large wars in the world.

South Africa being rich, content, with no war.

The Land Leviathan-
                    .....a clear understanding of the subtler needs of mankind was also necessary-that a moral example had to be made, that a normal life had to be led without compromise-that hypocrisy (albeit unconscious) among a nation's leaders led to cynicism and violence among the population.
                    I agree, the politicians should never be above the law or

above the people.

More importantly, I feel that we should lead by example. Stop allowing our governments to get goaded into wars that do not need to take place. Even stop some wars that are justified.

Do not go to war at all.

I agree that we should put our human and natural resources to better use.

A civilization without war can prosper and flourish.

No war on Earth means contentment, joy, peace and it becomes easier to meet our survival needs. Healthy and happy, well fed and nourished. Soul enrichment. Less stress, fewer problems. All around wealth. A richness of the arts and culture. Equality. No need for crimes generated by
                    survival need issues and problems.
                    One less
                    human-created disaster and problem-war.

See that? - in 1974 someone had attempted to dissolve all future wars in this world before they could have taken place! An indiidual tried to stop the wars that have so frequently occurred on Earth.

Stop dragging our friends and allies of the
                    world into expensive, (in people and in treasure currency), wars and conflicts.

Well, warnings are often ignored. Some lessons do not get to the people who need to learn them the most.

Thanks!,

lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Now ironically, Assad may seem a less despicable enemy than the one that's frightening everybody currently - IS.
                      OMG! You mentioned The Devil! [Throws salt over shoulder and starts rubbing any door- and window-frame with garlic.]

The IS(IS) is now much worse than Al-Qaeda, which is pretty impressive, as Al-Qaeda used to be as bad as it's possible to get. We must remind ourselves that we DID get Saddam Hussein when, in a few years, we're gnawing off our knuckles as ISIS founds The New Caliphate.

But hey! Maybe that's the new world order that'll save us all?
                      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Another point for my conflict in SE Asia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/20...701/index.html

Comment

These Islamic Extremists are DEVILS!

They so resemble RAH's Christian extremists as to attribute prophetic powers to the old rip.

Plainly, the have to GO. Because if left to flourish, they will bring down a catastrophe upon us . Let them get hold of a nuke, and they will use it-there is no fallout where they think they're going.

Islam seems to be subject to these spasms every fifty years or so. Wing-dings like Bin Looney gear up to fight the Crusaders-who are long gone, but never mind the facts.

The Crusades infuriated and militarised Islam-, not that Islam was all that calm to begin with-and ended any chance of co-operation between the two worlds. The Christians, hyped up on false tales of Islamic atrocities in the Holy Land(and encouraged by Papal politics)came along like fiends.

And we have been paying the price, ever since.

Comment

Proselytism of the sword.

Religion used as a means to justify violence is one of the greatest social atrocities of humanity. Crusade, Jihad, Inquisition, the list goes on and not just in the Abrahamic tradition either. Look at haibutsu kishaku in Japan, while not strictly using religion to perpetrate violence was nevertheless violence targeted at a specific religion, and to a larger scale the Holocaust.

Still, I don't blame religion itself for it but those who place themselves before the religion. There is nothing more dangerous than self-proclaimed Messiah.
                            "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

One must believe in God to have a religion(except for Unitarians).

And since our Gods have the power of Paradise and Hell-why do we insist on killing or persecuting those who hold beliefs we disagree with?

To quote a popular TV show, ''All men must die", so why not let the case be tried in a higher court? Is your God not puissant enough to settle the hash of the unbelievers?

I'm sticking with Cthulhu-he promised to eat me last.

Comment

Working...
                              X