Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Provincial Tories have it in for My Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provincial Tories have it in for My Island

Folks, I hope you don't mind a couple of self-serving petitions I'm about to post. I guess this is what happens when you vote for the losing party.

Last election, part of the provincial tory (New Brunswick, Canada) campaign was to give Grand Manan (where I reside) residents free ferry service. Instead they now plan on cutting back the amount of trips, and lengthen the passage from 1.5 hours to 2 hours, in order to save money. This will not only piss-off the tourists (a major cash source for many on this rock), but the late trip is most often used to ship lobster and fish to US buyers.

As if this wasn't enough of a kick in the nuts, they also announced their intention to sell off our only provincial park, which is also home to a migratory bird sanctuary. I've sat and watched thousands of sand pipers do their incredible dance in the skies at this grand spot many a time.

All businesses shut down at 15:00 today for a meeting with our liberal MLA on what we can do about it. It was nothing more than a bitch-fest, and this was not unexpected by this fellah.

Judging by the conversations and goings-on around the liquor store, I think it's safe to say I'm glad I'm not among the tory supporters this night. The cops will likely earn their pay this eve.

Please take a moment to sign, and share these petitions if you can. Thanks, pards. Rant over.

Ferry service petition:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Opp...nd_Ferry/?pv=8

Anchorage Provincial Park petition:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/SAV...NCHORAGE/?pv=1
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Done! Maybe there are some examples out there, but I can't recall a single instance when privatizing something that was formerly owned by the public resulted in a net improvement in the lives of the vast majority of people who used the property or service in question. Rooting for your side (and the pipers) to prevail here, amigo!

Comment

Cheers, Guzz. I appreciate it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Signed plus tweeted and shared on fb.

Comment

Many thanks, OS. In fact, I just saw you pop up on the petition site.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
          X