Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

BOYCOTT COCA COLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOYCOTT COCA COLA

Boycott Coke!

Why?

Well, where do we start?

How about killing Trade Unionists in Colombia?

http://www.killercoke.org/

Coca-Cola came to Colombia
    Seeking lower wages
    They got just what they came for
    But as we turn the pages
    We find the workers didn't like the sound
    Of their children's hungry cries
    So they said we'll join the union
    And they began to organize

So Coke called up a terrorist group
    Called the AUC
    They said "we've got some problems
    At the factory"
    So these thugs went to the plant
    Killed two union men
    Told the rest, "you leave the union
    Or we'll be back again"

Now Coke did not complain
    About this dirty deed
    Why give workers higher wages
    When Coke is all they really need
    They phoned the AUC
    Said "thanks, without you we'd go broke
    And to show our appreciation
    Here's one hundred cases of Coke"

(Chorus)
    The baby drinks it in his bottle
    When the water ain't no good
    The dog drinks it
    But he don't know if he should
    Some folks say
    It's the nectar of the Gods
    But Coke is the drink of the Death Squads

Well the workers wouldn't take
    This situation lying down
    Some went up to Georgia
    Said "look what's happened to our town
    You American workers got downsized
    And as for us we just get shot
    And those of us who survive
    Our teeth begin to rot"

(Chorus)

Well now that's the situation
    What are you gonna do
    'Cause death squads run Colombia
    And they're paid by me and you
    We can let Coke run the world
    And see what future that will bring
    Or we can drink juice and smash the state
    Now that's the real thing

(Chorus)

David Rovics
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Thanks for the link! I already boycott Coca-Cola, but it's good to be reminded why I do it. I'm a bit sceptical regarding the efficiency of boycotts, for a number of reasons:

1) It's very hard to know if you actually are boycotting the bad guys, because of the complex patterns of ownership in the private sector.

2) There are lots of reasons not to buy Coke, ranging from "It's not healthy", "I like another brand better" and "The taste reminds me of battery acid" to "They're killing trade unionists". The people at Coke will never know what the exact reason is, unless it's accompanied by massive campaigns reaching large parts of their target groups.

3) People have been boycotting Coca-Cola since at least the seventies...

4) It supports the notion of consumer power, a notion which is used by the Right to paint a picture of consumerism as the ultimate form of democracy. "We only give people what they want." :roll:

Even so, I don't really feel like handing Coke my money, now that I know what they're doing. I believe more firmly in positive consumer power, though. By this I mean that it's more efficient to support the (relatively) good alternatives than to boycott the bad ones.

How do you people at MWM feel about these things?

Finally, to make clear where my sympathies lie, in spite of what I've written above, I would like to say:

BOYCOTT COCA-COLA!
    You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

Thanks for the link! I already boycott Coca-Cola, but it's good to be reminded why I do it. I'm a bit sceptical regarding the efficiency of boycotts, for a number of reasons:

1) It's very hard to know if you actually are boycotting the bad guys, because of the complex patterns of ownership in the private sector.

2) There are lots of reasons not to buy Coke, ranging from "It's not healthy", "I like another brand better" and "The taste reminds me of battery acid" to "They're killing trade unionists". The people at Coke will never know what the exact reason is, unless it's accompanied by massive campaigns reaching large parts of their target groups.

3) People have been boycotting Coca-Cola since at least the seventies...

4) It supports the notion of consumer power, a notion which is used by the Right to paint a picture of consumerism as the ultimate form of democracy. "We only give people what they want." :roll:

Even so, I don't really feel like handing Coke my money, now that I know what they're doing. I believe more firmly in positive consumer power, though. By this I mean that it's more efficient to support the (relatively) good alternatives than to boycott the bad ones.

How do you people at MWM feel about these things?

Finally, to make clear where my sympathies lie, in spite of what I've written above, I would like to say:

BOYCOTT COCA-COLA!

Comment

Oops, sorry about double posting... :oops:

Comment

Originally posted by Rymdolov
          The people at Coke will never know what the exact reason is, unless it's accompanied by massive campaigns reaching large parts of their target groups.
          Good point - which is why we need to tell them! I'm pretty suspicious of boycotts myself - for the reasons you mention - but when the company's workers themselves (in Colombia) are calling for it, it's a different matter.

The main difficulty with Coke is that they either make or bottle so many products, its hard to identify them, especially as it varies so much from country to country (eg Dr Pepper is distributed by Coke here, but not, I believe, in the the States...)

And - yes, it is foul. No hardship for me at all. But since raising this issue with people, I've come across several Coca-Cola addicts who could not contemplate life without the revolting stuff. One young guy signed our petition, then looked really worried "This doesn't mean they're stop making it, does it?"

"Unfortunately, not", I answered.
          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
            Good point - which is why we need to tell them! I'm pretty suspicious of boycotts myself - for the reasons you mention - but when the company's workers themselves (in Colombia) are calling for it, it's a different matter.
            That's true enough. I hope the petition and the Florida lawsuit have some effect.

There are many soft drink around here which are distributed by Coke and many others are brewed by companies bought up by them. They're kind enough to write The Coca-Cola Company on the labels, though.

Comment

Avoiding consumption of Coca Cola and similar vile products is easy enough.
              Many are already doing so for simpler reasons.

Only problem with a boycott: if we dispense with Coca Cola, in what are we
              going to soak those rusted lug nuts to loosen them? :twisted:

LSN

Comment

Well, I don't tend to drink fizzy drinks anyway, but I'll boycott them in my heart... actually, I think they own one of the mineral water brands too so I'll keep an eye out.

I actually tested out the theory about dirty coins and cola... I left them in a cup of store-brand cola for a few hours and they were all clean and shiny when I pulled them out. I'm not sure what that proves, but it was a little unnerving.
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Vittel and Buxton are bottled by Coca Cola. A bottle of Buxton was on the table when I saw a rep. from the union Sinaltrainal speaking at SOAS (University of London) last year. You have to look at the small print....

What astounds me is that Latin America has an enormous wealth of different fruits just growing on trees - I went to a Colombian juice bar recently who get them airfreighted over, and sampled the most wonderful drinks - so why are people there persuaded they want to drink sugary battery acid? Saying that, Coke is cheaper than clean water in some of these places, which is why all the kids have rotten teeth. (Has anyone ever subjected the old "a tooth will completely dissolve if left in a glass of Coke overnight" theory to a scientific test?)

Oh, and does anyone remember the Dasani fiasco? 95p for a bottle of tap water with added bromide, anyone? :lol:
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/s...174127,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                    Well, I don't tend to drink fizzy drinks anyway, but I'll boycott them in my heart... actually, I think they own one of the mineral water brands too so I'll keep an eye out.

I actually tested out the theory about dirty coins and cola... I left them in a cup of store-brand cola for a few hours and they were all clean and shiny when I pulled them out. I'm not sure what that proves, but it was a little unnerving.
                    There was a little piece in I think The Observer, or maybe the BBC website, recently. Apparently farmers in India use Coke & Pepsi as cheap weedkiller. :o 8O :o
                    Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                      Only problem with a boycott: if we dispense with Coca Cola, in what are we
                      going to soak those rusted lug nuts to loosen them? :twisted:

LSN
                      Off topic, but heat them and quench with ATF, Marvel mystery oil, or other highly penetrating oil. I've been told that oil of wintergreen is the best. If they are lug bolts (like on old VWs) you probably don't even need to soak them, just smack'em square on the head with a medium to big hammer - the shock wave always break them loose.

Comment

Just an update -

10-16 April is a 'week of action' against Coke. The boycott's going well, with more and more trade unions and universities supporting. However:
                        we have all been outdone by the Venezuelan government, who shut down 32 Coca-Cola distribution centres on 16 February while they investigate the extent of the multinational’s tax evasion.
                        !Viva Chavez!

www.killercoke.org

Comment

A government that stands up to multinational corporations...

Maybe there's hope for the world after all.

Thanks for the update!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                            Just an update -

10-16 April is a 'week of action' against Coke. The boycott's going well, with more and more trade unions and universities supporting. However:
                            we have all been outdone by the Venezuelan government, who shut down 32 Coca-Cola distribution centres on 16 February while they investigate the extent of the multinational’s tax evasion.
                            !Viva Chavez!

www.killercoke.org
                            Good for them, no wonder the Bush administration want rid of Chavez.
                            Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

But if I boycott Coke what will I use to clean the rust off my sword blade? :lol:

I never drink the stuff anyway, it's nasty. Water with a bunch of chemicals. It has phosphoric acid in it, for gods' sake! Phosphoric acid is not a food ingredient in my opinion. I mean, when I go into the kitchen to make dinner, phosphoric acid is not an ingredient in any of my recipes; it's not in my spice rack. Phosphoric acid is what takes the rust off your sword blade.

I prefer a nice cuppa tea meself.
                              WWED -- What Would Elric Do?

Comment

Working...
                              X