Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Petition to sack Richard Littlejohn, Daily Mail Columnist

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Petition to sack Richard Littlejohn, Daily Mail Columnist

    I'm passing this one along. Littlejohn is just the sort of professional hater and bigot that gives journalism a bad name.
    http://action.sumofus.org/a/daily-ma...adows/?sub=taf

    The Daily Mail: Fire Richard Littlejohn

    This week, after being mocked in the press with an attack piece by the Daily Mail columnist Richard Littlejohn, schoolteacher Lucy Meadows committed suicide.

    Lucy was raised male, but recently underwent a transition to live as female -- which for Littlejohn was reason enough to attack her in his column. Leading with the mocking headline "He's not only in the wrong body... he's in the wrong job", Littlejohn belittled and harassed Meadows, referring to her decision as her “personal problems” and playing on the outdated scare tactic that LGBT people are a threat to children.

    The vile article led to a witch hunt targeting Meadows. Newspapers offered to pay parents for a picture of her, and she complained of having to leave home by the back door and arrive early to school to avoid the packs of journalists.

    Sign our petition to the Daily Mail: fire Richard Littlejohn, issue an apology, and institute an editorial review to ensure that this never happens again.

    Richard Littlejohn has a long history of using his perch at the the Daily Mail to mock and harass others, from laughing at cerebral palsy to snide insinuation that ethnic minorities got their jobs through discrimination to incessant attacks on the LGBT community, Littlejohn has been a national disgrace.

    Throughout the article, Littlejohn repeatedly referred to Lucy as “he”, and claimed that getting gender reassignment surgery showed that she didn't care for the children she taught.

    Littlejohn claimed that children don’t have the capacity to handle a gender transition -- but kids are smart and don’t carry the bias that adults have absorbed over the years. Just take the experience our campaign manager Kaytee's partner Max had when he came out to his little cousin as a transgender man. The cousin said “Oh, that makes sense. I always thought you were a boy. Now can we go play Legos?” Gender transition is only an issue for kids when the adults in their lives -- many egged on by these sorts of offensive opinion pieces -- make it out to be a problem.

    The Daily Mail may thrive on controversy to sell its tabloid papers, but even it knows it went too far this time. In the wake of backlash, the Daily Mail removed the article from its website, but the damage has already been done.

    Everyone has the right to say what they think, but mainstream publications like the Daily Mail shouldn't support and promote this sort of hate. The Daily Mail needs to ensure that this never happens again -- by not only yanking Littlejohn’s column and apologizing for the paper’s decision to run the hateful opinion piece, but also instituting an editorial review policy that prevents discriminatory writing from ending up in its paper again.

    Tell the Daily Mail that newspaper columns cannot be used for bullying and hate, and that Richard Littlejohn has no place in the papers.

    **********
    More information:

    The Guardian: Trans teacher believed to have killed herself had told of 'press harrassment', 3/21/13

    Petition text:
    "Fire Richard Littlejohn for his disgusting attack piece against Lucy Meadows, apologize for printing it, and institute a editorial review process to prevent this kind of discrimination from ever ending up in print again."
    Link:
    http://action.sumofus.org/a/daily-ma...adows/?sub=taf

    You may argue that such a petition will only raise his profile, but the way I see it, there's no point in keeping a pollutant like Littlejohn hidden away in his column spewing out his toxins. Better to bring him out into the light for the nasty, small minded, hater and bigot that he is.

  • #2
    1) This sort of newpapers excess leads to laws of censorship ......

    2) In France, there are laws protecting private lives and you may not legally divulgate elements about private lives, even if true and courts can be very harsh.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
      I'm passing this one along. Littlejohn is just the sort of professional hater and bigot that gives journalism a bad name.
      http://action.sumofus.org/a/daily-ma...adows/?sub=taf

      The Daily Mail: Fire Richard Littlejohn

      This week, after being mocked in the press with an attack piece by the Daily Mail columnist Richard Littlejohn, schoolteacher Lucy Meadows committed suicide.

      Lucy was raised male, but recently underwent a transition to live as female -- which for Littlejohn was reason enough to attack her in his column. Leading with the mocking headline "He's not only in the wrong body... he's in the wrong job", Littlejohn belittled and harassed Meadows, referring to her decision as her “personal problems” and playing on the outdated scare tactic that LGBT people are a threat to children.

      The vile article led to a witch hunt targeting Meadows. Newspapers offered to pay parents for a picture of her, and she complained of having to leave home by the back door and arrive early to school to avoid the packs of journalists.

      Sign our petition to the Daily Mail: fire Richard Littlejohn, issue an apology, and institute an editorial review to ensure that this never happens again.

      Richard Littlejohn has a long history of using his perch at the the Daily Mail to mock and harass others, from laughing at cerebral palsy to snide insinuation that ethnic minorities got their jobs through discrimination to incessant attacks on the LGBT community, Littlejohn has been a national disgrace.

      Throughout the article, Littlejohn repeatedly referred to Lucy as “he”, and claimed that getting gender reassignment surgery showed that she didn't care for the children she taught.

      Littlejohn claimed that children don’t have the capacity to handle a gender transition -- but kids are smart and don’t carry the bias that adults have absorbed over the years. Just take the experience our campaign manager Kaytee's partner Max had when he came out to his little cousin as a transgender man. The cousin said “Oh, that makes sense. I always thought you were a boy. Now can we go play Legos?” Gender transition is only an issue for kids when the adults in their lives -- many egged on by these sorts of offensive opinion pieces -- make it out to be a problem.

      The Daily Mail may thrive on controversy to sell its tabloid papers, but even it knows it went too far this time. In the wake of backlash, the Daily Mail removed the article from its website, but the damage has already been done.

      Everyone has the right to say what they think, but mainstream publications like the Daily Mail shouldn't support and promote this sort of hate. The Daily Mail needs to ensure that this never happens again -- by not only yanking Littlejohn’s column and apologizing for the paper’s decision to run the hateful opinion piece, but also instituting an editorial review policy that prevents discriminatory writing from ending up in its paper again.

      Tell the Daily Mail that newspaper columns cannot be used for bullying and hate, and that Richard Littlejohn has no place in the papers.

      **********
      More information:

      The Guardian: Trans teacher believed to have killed herself had told of 'press harrassment', 3/21/13

      Petition text:
      "Fire Richard Littlejohn for his disgusting attack piece against Lucy Meadows, apologize for printing it, and institute a editorial review process to prevent this kind of discrimination from ever ending up in print again."
      Link:
      http://action.sumofus.org/a/daily-ma...adows/?sub=taf

      You may argue that such a petition will only raise his profile, but the way I see it, there's no point in keeping a pollutant like Littlejohn hidden away in his column spewing out his toxins. Better to bring him out into the light for the nasty, small minded, hater and bigot that he is.
      Littlejohn is a nasty piece of shit
      forum

      1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

      Comment


      • #4
        For those who are fortunate enough not to live in the UK and have never heard of Littlejohn, here he is.
        forum

        1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

        Comment


        • #5
          Sadly we have our own versions of this guy in crapland. My former boss for example...
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

          Comment


          • #6
            I know of that nasty get. He's foul. I signed it.
            Going Linear Is The Only Game Garanteed To Drive You Mad

            Comment


            • #7
              There are a couple of colourful expressions in the vernacular of Liverpool: "I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire." and "I wouldn't give him the steam off my shit.". I certainly wouldn't do either of those things for Richard Littlejohn.

              However, it is important to recognise that there is nothing that links Littlejohn's column to Lucy Meadows' very sad death.

              In his article, Littlejohn neither offered cash to locals and parents for photos of Lucy nor told national and local reporters and paparazzi to doorstep her. He may have written an objectional and ill informed article about her in a national newspaper but, in the world of free speech that so many people on this website so vigorously support, he has a right so to do.

              We had a lively debate on this site about people's right to free speech when it comes to bullying and libel on social media websites. Many of us supported that right and others didn't. This case is merely an extension of that right. At best one could justify a case for calling it bullying, and at worst, prejudice, but I suspect that if the Daily Mail fired Littlejohn on the back of this article he would have a very strong case to sue them for unfair dismissal.

              Read this blog from the Guardian's former editor Roy Greenslade. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gree...hn-transgender

              P.S. I love the way the link says "richard-littlejohn-transgender".
              Last edited by Pietro_Mercurios; 03-23-2013, 11:00 PM. Reason: Edit, edit, edit

              Comment


              • #8
                The only effective way to punish a business is not to buy their product.
                The Daily Mail enjoys annoying thinking people. They target that every day.
                Sadly, the petition will only feed the "us/them" tribalism they use as their main sales tool.

                Comment


                • #9
                  May I recommend this. The Littlecock bit starts at 4.50ish, but the whole clip deserves a watch.
                  forum

                  1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                  2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                  3. a public meeting place for open discussion

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                    ... He may have written an objectional and ill informed article about her in a national newspaper but, in the world of free speech that so many people on this website so vigorously support, he has a right so to do.

                    ...
                    What World of, 'free speech'? You may argue that Littlejohn has the right to use his position of dubious authority as a national newspaper columnist to aim the spotlight at a single individual who has done nothing wrong, but the Public also have a right to express their opinion that the toxic scribbler should be sacked.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                      What World of, 'free speech'? You may argue that Littlejohn has the right to use his position of dubious authority as a national newspaper columnist to aim the spotlight at a single individual who has done nothing wrong, but the Public also have a right to express their opinion that the toxic scribbler should be sacked.
                      Indeed PM, didn't suggest otherwise.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                        Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                        What World of, 'free speech'? You may argue that Littlejohn has the right to use his position of dubious authority as a national newspaper columnist to aim the spotlight at a single individual who has done nothing wrong, but the Public also have a right to express their opinion that the toxic scribbler should be sacked.
                        Indeed PM, didn't suggest otherwise.
                        I know. But, although Littlejohn might have a right to his opinion, Does he have a right to his national platform? Maybe his natural role is as a Home Counties golf club lounge bar bore?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
                          I know. But, although Littlejohn might have a right to his opinion, Does he have a right to his national platform? Maybe his natural role is as a Home Counties golf club lounge bar bore?
                          I suspect he does that at weekends.

                          I guess it depends on what gives him the right to his national platform. Is it the simple fact of his employment in a national media or is there some other qualification that he should obtain?

                          What gives Gary Lineker the right to present MoTD, or Terry Wogan to do his R2 show for so many years?

                          As it is, the DM is unlikely to do anything other than give him a pay rise for generating heaps more publicity.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'd suggest that if its true that the Mail have taken down the article, there's at least some admission there that the piece was flawed... if not then they should have the guts to stand by it and keep it online.
                            forum

                            1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                            2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                            3. a public meeting place for open discussion

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yep. We've got a media cottage industry of fuckin' scum like this in the USSA here.
                              So any impassioned plea to blacklist this guy...well, I admit, I'm almost jaded by turdswimmers like this. I mean we had the cynosure of "Ideologues Who Will Support Any Lie In Service of their 'Greater Truth'" and Socially-Retarded Misanthrope Polemicists Who Just Want To See It All Burn"; I give you Andrew Beitbart, Anne Coulter, and that ever-lovin', seemingly-immortal fork-tongued salamander, Rush Limbaugh.
                              Firing and blacklisting will make us feel better...until others come along, and, ye gods, form "think" tanks. But really, all you can do is ignore them or endure them.
                              They are numerically few, like their close cousins, the clinical sociopath.:)
                              They cause vast damage outside their apparent reach. Then they, individually, die or disappear. As phenomena, they continue.
                              Endure.

                              PS- not that I don't feel a twinge for some sort of justice to be done. But that's my teenage self. The same one that doesn't see "sacking", but actually throwing a SACK over his smug fucking face...right before you kick his wretched teeth down his throat and out the back of his ass. As coda, slug him off the curb into
                              oncoming traffic. Watch his guts and blood turn to road stripe...
                              ...yep, guys like this really bring out the best in us. :(

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X