Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Ossama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ossama

Apparently Ossama Bin Lauden has something more in common with Michael Moore than just hating America; he's trying to influence the election. The question I have is weather people think he's trying to get Kerry elected, or if he's using reverse psychology and trying to get Bush relected.

It makes me wonder if this gag T-Shirt design might be more true than I though:

he knows we're going to have an election. he knows we're going to stay in Iraq, and he knows we're not going to be happy until he's dead. so this message to us is to keep our blood boiling. perhaps he'd be happy to see bush stay in office so he can keep on poking at his adversary, i don't know.

but i tell you what...who the hell does he think he is, thinking he can address the American public like it's okay? like we don't mind he's still alive? like we would care one IOTA about anything he has to say?!

*ahem* rant over. sorry....

Comment

I would say that Mr Bin Laden's post 9/11 apocalyptic game-plan is going according to his old trading partner Bush - so I would say if he has endorsed Kerry then its most definitely a case of "reverse psychology".

Like the US public are going to take his "views" into sober consideration on the way to the polls? What does he care about democracy anyway? :!:
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Ossama was clearly smart enough to plan out the attacks on America, but not smart enough to realize that we would take down the Taliban. So I could see the argument going either way. I'm pretty sure that Bin Lauden is does not have a good handle on how US Democracy works though.

Comment

Whoa... whoa... WHOA! I gotta put the brakes on a misconception here. Osama did not endorse Kerry. He didn't endorse either candidate. Read his entire speech here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...en.transcript/

In fact, what he said was this: "Your security is not in the hands of Kerry or Bush or al Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands."

That is the only line in the entire diatribe in which he mentions the two candidates. Any other mention of Bush is done without any opinion regarding his re-election.

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
          He is an idiot.
          Well, no. He's a loathsome, short-sighted, murderous, religious zealot, but he's no idiot.

Originally posted by Kitsune
          I'm pretty sure that Bin Lauden is does not have a good handle on how US Democracy works though.
          Don't be so sure, Kitsune. He's not stupid, as you say. He is an extremely well-educated man. Nothing more deceptive than when intelligence and evil mix.

Originally posted by Poetgrrl
          ...this message to us is to keep our blood boiling...
          I suspect Poetgrrl's speculation is closest to reality.
          "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
          --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

At the risk of contributing nothing, I agree with PWV completely.

I suspect OBL's purpose was not to influence the elections. Instead, he wants to remind the world, at a crucial time, that he is not an abstraction or a symbol, but rather a living, breathing reality that neither slogans, tough talk, nor optimism can dismiss. He siezed the time when he could be most visible on the world stage. That doesn't seem like the work of an idiot to me.

Don't get me wrong, I think he couldn't be more misguided and delusional in his goals, but clearly his methods suggest that he is pretty sharp in other areas. And don't forget, he may be the most wanted and hunted person in the world and he remains alive, despite international efforts to kill him. If he's an idiot, what does that make the rest of the world, at whom he is laughing?

Comment

"He was more interested in listening to the child's story about the goat rather than worry about what was happening to the towers. So, we had three times the time necessary to accomplish the events."

I'd say that this was an attack against Bush, and thus indirect support for Kerry, but as I said maybe he wants Bush in office and this is reverse Phychology. EIther way he it does seem that he's trying to influence the elections. Hopefully his ass will get nailed regaurdless of the which candidate wins.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                With my window open here in Philly I can hear the bums and drug dealers hustling on Pearl street. Suppose I was to shout down at them what I thought of them or dropped a bucket of water down on their heads. How would that go over? Would that be wise or would it be the work of a person that really wasn’t thinking about what would happen to him when he ran into these guys on the street.
                Okay, let's say you did do that very thing, Adlerian. Would doing it completely wipe away all your years of education? Would it suddenly render you an idiot? I think not, Maybe try a different analogy.

You may not agree with Osama's tactics (few people do), but being a terrorist doesn't automatically make you an idiot. You say he doesn't have any power. Heh. Tell that to the families of those who died on 9/11. I know plenty of people over whom Osama bin Laden has a lot of power and every last one of them is voting for Bush. Fear is a very powerful ally (of both bin Laden and Bush).

For what it's worth, I think arguing whether or not Osama is intelligent is like arguing if the hot oil that's burning you is Wesson or Crisco.

I'd say that this was an attack against Bush...
                Yes, I'd agree with you.

...and thus indirect support for Kerry...
                :? Error... flawed logic... does not compute...

Had me then you lost me, Kitsune. The slam on Bush is no indication he supports Kerry, only an indication he hates Bush.
                "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

In this type of election, where both canidates suck, there is no "For Kerry" it's all pretty much been "Anti-Bush"

Comment

Working...
                  X