Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Changes destroying Scouting and Guiding in the UK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
    Yes, I agree - the problem to my mind is the fact that we assess and grade children throughout their lives, that teachers teacher children how to pass these tests rather than assist children in learning.
    add "are forced to" before "childredn how to pass..." and I think we might agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
      Yes, I agree - the problem to my mind is the fact that we assess and grade children throughout their lives, that teachers teacher children how to pass these tests rather than assist children in learning.
      add "are forced to" before "childredn how to pass..." and I think we might agree.
      Of course, we live in a world ruled by endless procedures
      forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

After that last bit of debate concerning the wee ones shot in that US town, I've been a bit loathe to enter any kind of debatnin' round here, but I will say I'm struck with awe that this thread, two pages in . . . has no mention of this:

http://www.debate.org/opinions/shoul...ow-gay-members

There are court-cases on the roll right now in both Canada and the US, of (whatever one calls it in their respective country) child molestations/rapes in the scouts.

I'm amazed with all the other bits in here, this was not noticed.
        Last edited by Wanderlust; 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM.
        Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
          After that last bit of debate concerning the wee ones shot in that US town, I've been a bit loathe to enter any kind of debatnin' round here, but I will say I'm struck with awe that this thread, two pages in . . . has no mention of this:

http://www.debate.org/opinions/shoul...ow-gay-members

There are court-cases on the roll right now in both Canada and the US, of (whatever one calls it in their respective country) child molestations/rapes in the scouts.

I'm amazed with all the other bits in here, this was not noticed.
          The whole gay scouts thing. (Sigh). Notice how many of the posts in the poll that are to the negative rely on-

Anecdotal fear-mongering; x was raped by a gay scout, x gays scouts are more likely to grow up into scout masters with proclivities towards boys, scouts who are gay may put the moves on my straight boy how-will-his-fragile-mind-ever-survive, et cetera. Note that the "argument" here typifies the beast-versus-the innocent arguments used to prop up much of the sentiment behind Jim Crow and any other apartheid. It is fake reasoning, argument from repugnance.

Or, the other argument..."we're not getting in their way, let them found their own group, why do they have to be in ours?" This line of reasoning ignores most of the real sense of why a "gay movement" would bother with the scouts...that being, gay men and yes, gay adolescents are already in the scouts. Right now, though, they have to hide like criminals. It's an indignity for an organization to be deliberately set up to persecute even a segment of its own membership.

Comment

Working...
          X