Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Best places to be Born 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you may be both missing the point and taking this too literally.

Comment

Given the price that Walmart is charging for PS4 ( Playstation 4 ) I think I must live in a wealthy country ...

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/tec/201...o-brasil.shtml

( 1 US Dollar == 2,1 reais last time cared to check )
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Must have missed this one.

Anyhoo, born in Canada though lived in Germany for approx' eight years -- late 60s, middle 70s; military brat.

I was just reading L'Etranger's bit about missing his home on the African continent, and I know exactly how ya feel, brother. I left Germany in '77 as I was turning 16, and just getting into punk. I used to be able to jump on my ten-speed and bike over to France for the day. A short train ride took me to Freiburg, Strasbourg, or if adventurous, Basel. At the age of 13 I could sit in a gasthof and have a beer with my plate of chips. Baked cheescake, German hippy chicks, Brit flics in my local cinemas, and white lights all over at Christmas time.

Yeah . . . I've never been back, and I still miss Deutschland all to hell. Bucket list, mebee.
        Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I guess those of us who no longer live where we grew up have a similar story, although the sentiment may not always be the same.

My childhood home was Liverpool and growing up there I was acutely aware of its place in history and it sudden and devastating decline. The closest modern day example is Detroit. I left in 1987 out of economic necessity and have lived in London for 23 years, 19 of those in Ealing.

I go back to Liverpool every two weeks or so for football matches and to see The Brother and I am proud and delighted at the way the city has changed for the better in the last 5 years or so. It has gone from national joke and symbol of urban decline to shining example of what urban and civic change and renewal can do for a city.

The cliche is about home being where the heart is. I live in Ealing and go home for football matches.

Comment

Although I really complain about Brazil, there are cities here I really like, sadly there are no jobs in my field of working in these cities.
            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
            X