Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Best places to be Born 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best places to be Born 2013

The top ten best places to be born in 2013:

1. Switzerland
    2. Australia
    3. Norway
    4. Sweden
    5. Denmark
    6. Singapore
    7. New Zealand
    8. Netherlands
    9. Canada
    10. Hong Kong
    http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...175300116.html

Crapland is #37.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

France one place above Britain ... that must be something to do with the loss of a certain Sarky git from power

But how the hell did the US get that far up the table ... along with the other things they have become world leader in, recession and financial crisis creation are two of their major ones.
    Twitter: The system that put paid to the old adage 'politicians only lie when their lips start moving'

Comment

I think this list is about as significant as a list of the best laundries in County Sligo.
      You are born somewhere and it is just a trifle more fortunate in one place than in the other. Switzerland would SUFFOCATE me with her stiffness, inflexibility and over-regulated life (my own country's not exactly a great lot better, but at least inventiveness and initiative are not fully scorned here). Swiss tax laws are a lot easier though, but that matters only once you've made a significant amount of money.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
        I think this list is about as significant as a list of the best laundries in County Sligo.
        You are born somewhere and it is just a trifle more fortunate in one place than in the other. Switzerland would SUFFOCATE me with her stiffness, inflexibility and over-regulated life (my own country's not exactly a great lot better, but at least inventiveness and initiative are not fully scorned here). Swiss tax laws are a lot easier though, but that matters only once you've made a significant amount of money.
        I have always enjoyed these lists for their vain attempt to point nice places to live in this planet. Although I am really resigned to be a Brazilian and by consequence, being a Brazilian citizen with all good and bad it implies, I like to fantasize often that I live somewhere else and most of times I think of Switzerland, Australia, England, New Zealand or Armenia..
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
          The top ten best places to be born in 2013:
          1. Switzerland
          2. Australia
          3. Norway
          4. Sweden
          5. Denmark
          6. Singapore
          7. New Zealand
          8. Netherlands
          9. Canada
          10. Hong Kong
          http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...175300116.html

Crapland is #37.
          Canada: the hidden civilization of North America.
          MW

Comment

this list is actually far more in-depth than the "10 nicest cities" lists. It is a response to something some investor said about 30 years ago, that most of his successes could be traced back to having been born in the U.S. at the time he had been. This was (assuming you are referencing the list I am thinking of) an attempt to analyse the oportunities/advantages such as freedoms (positive and negative) education, stability etc.
            I particularly liked the comments by said investor because he was bucking the image of the "self made man" that was so popular (and still is amoung Ayn Rand fans) by admitting that his successes were as much a product of his society as they were his own gumption/will to power etc, and that therefor he (by extension) probably owed something to that society.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post

I have always enjoyed these lists for their vain attempt to point nice places to live in this planet. Although I am really resigned to be a Brazilian and by consequence, being a Brazilian citizen with all good and bad it implies, I like to fantasize often that I live somewhere else and most of times I think of Switzerland, Australia, England, New Zealand or Armenia..
              Eu sinto, Zlogdan, I was a little ill-tempered, excuse.
              I find such lists dubious, because they disregard so many factors that actually determine your chances - like for instance what sex you are or what the colour of your skin is, or even in what region you live in the specific country. If you are born into a family of alcoholics, say, in Denmark, no matter how great the country is (and I like it there!) your chances of getting a good education and succeeding in a job of your choice are possibly dimmer than in a country like Belize.
              And what is happiness? While you dream of places far from Brazil I know of several Europeans who at one point decided to exchange economic success and suffocating security for warmth, rhythm, sensuality and the occasional robberies in Brazil.
              I personally miss terribly the African country of my childhood and its climate, the fresh air after a heavy tropical rainfall, the smells of the bazaar, of the bodies and the food , the different rules among peoples and the friendliness.
              So I know what you are talking about, this yearning ... I call it homesick for overseas. "The other solutions" the people there must have for "my problems". Often unfortunately, one day not too soon after your arrival when you are no longer a tourist and the distant place is no longer an exotic mystery you start musing about completely other places: Ah, Sweden must be like heaven!
              Google ergo sum

Comment

I find such lists dubious, because they disregard so many factors that actually determine your chances - like for instance what sex you are or what the colour of your skin is, or even in what region you live in the specific country. If you are born into a family of alcoholics, say, in Denmark, no matter how great the country is (and I like it there!) your chances of getting a good education and succeeding in a job of your choice are possibly dimmer than in a country like Belize.
                And what is happiness? While you dream of places far from Brazil I know of several Europeans who at one point decided to exchange economic success and suffocating security for warmth, rhythm, sensuality and the occasional robberies in Brazil.
                [/I]
                I wouldn't disagree with you, but I don't think this list excludes what you're talking about, it purely says that you have a better odds of having a good standard of life (economically, educationally, healthily) in some countries than in others. Take your Denmark v Belize example: I've not seen any numbers to back this statement up, but I'd be prepared to bet a lot of money that your chances of being born into an alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional upbringing (basically, being born to economically poor parents) are significantly higher in Belize than in Denmark. Just as your chance of being shot are higher in a war zone than in a peaceful country. That's not to say that every one born into poverty is destined to misery - but that poverty excludes a lot of people from having the chance of having a good quality of life.

I'm sure this list does look at quality of life from a 'Western' perspective tho. I suspect that the only people on the planet with any real kind of quality in their lives are hunter-gatherers. The rest of us, be they subsistence farmers or button-pushing office drones live to work and work to live and like like shit. That's not to be romantic about hunter-gatherers, but I think it's fair to say that progress has only benefited us to the extent that it has allowed us to reproduce at an unhealthy level, but at a terrible cost.

Anyway, I'm not surprised to see the UK sooo low. I'm just amazed that Germany is also surprisingly low. I'm guessing that it's the differentiation between the old East and the rest of the country that has dragged its rating down.
                forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Eu sinto, Zlogdan, I was a little ill-tempered, excuse.
                  Sem problemas amigo

I agree that this is quite subjective and it's connected to one's dreams of living in a better place and thus not based on factual arguments. There are good places to live here in Brazil, but you either have to chose to earn less money or dwell in the concrete jungle of Sao Paulo. I used to live in one of the top best cities to live in Brazil, but I had to move from there because of job issues.

And honestly, please forgive me, but....

I am not a big fan of samba, in fact you can call me a "samba hater".

Despite the sensuality that is obvious in our women ( this is very good you know ), it is however arguable that our people are so bonded to happiness. I personally think this is a sort of an excuse from our folks to avoid the reality. But I am a rather pessimistic and realistic. Well my wife says I am something she calls "negative".

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                    (...) but I'd be prepared to bet a lot of money that your chances of being born into an alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional upbringing (basically, being born to economically poor parents) are significantly higher in Belize than in Denmark. Just as your chance of being shot are higher in a war zone than in a peaceful country. (...)
                    I think you nailed it here. With shorter expectations of a better life it is quite common to see the young people drinking too much, becoming drug addicts, robbers or the criminals we will eventually see.

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post
                    Anyway, I'm not surprised to see the UK sooo low. I'm just amazed that Germany is also surprisingly low. I'm guessing that it's the differentiation between the old East and the rest of the country that has dragged its rating down.
                    I would be that these positions should have a threshold value as I think the top 25 are far above the rest and there might not be a lot of difference between them except in the small bits.

Edit: I was reading the blog of the Brazilian author Braulio Tavares and he is commenting this other blog, about a German guy that is living here:

http://manuelschneider.blogspot.com....razilians.html
                    Last edited by zlogdan; 01-03-2013, 05:36 AM.

Comment

an other classification .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Planet_Index

Comment

http://www.economist.com/news/215670...fe-methodology

Methodology discussed (a little) here. Yes it uses indicators rather than direct assesment, but for what it is meant to be I find this index far more valuable than others.

Comment

Like you have a choice. "Mummy, I don't want to be born in Birmingham. Please go to Melbourne."

And if the unborn child did have that choice, Lancashire would be overrun by heavily pregnant mothers from all over the world.

Comment

I was born in Germany. Later, in school in Africa, being the only German kid in an English school, I had to discover that my friends' fathers had all won the war and not mine. Such things meant a lot to a boy.
                            On my return, some six years older, I learnt to understand more and more of what my dad's generation had allowed to happen. I felt terrible. What would I have given at 18 for a different birthplace or passport (Ireland said, if at least you had an Irish grandmother, then you need wait only two years for citizenship. I had thought Ireland must be fun to belong to, a country that threatens nobody. The Norwegian bureaucracy didn't even bother to answer my inquiry although I had some valid claims via a partly Norwegian ancestry)!
                            Even later I met some of the old school mates again and I found that I was one of the very few who had had to think about what had happened, how the mechanics of Fascism and totalitarian systems work and where to look to confront the evil emerging from the shadows. I found it was the one advantage of being born where I was - many of my generation feel a serious obligation to be watchful.
                            Last edited by L'Etranger; 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM.
                            Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                              Like you have a choice. "Mummy, I don't want to be born in Birmingham. Please go to Melbourne."

And if the unborn child did have that choice, Lancashire would be overrun by heavily pregnant mothers from all over the world.
                              Whaddaya mean 'would be'?

You haven't had a walk round Burnley lately ... it is overrun.

Anyway, Yorkshire is a far better prospect
                              Twitter: The system that put paid to the old adage 'politicians only lie when their lips start moving'

Comment

Working...
                              X