Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Good news from Crapland ( women candidates )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news from Crapland ( women candidates )

Hi,

I don't vote. But this is great news to me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19786223

Maybe I should be a little more proud of crapland
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Don't despair of your country: despair only of its leadership!

Comment

Quite wise thought pal!
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

I read a study that asserted that once about 30% of the elected politicians are female a threshold is passed and there is a greater chance that various women's issues, otherwise largely ignored, will make it into the political discourse.

I once cast a vote based on this meta-analysis.

Comment

It might not be quite true but I tend to think that more women in politics means less war.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
            It might not be quite true but I tend to think that more women in politics means less war.
            Yeah? I got two words for you: second one is "Thatcher": guess what the first is?
            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
              I read a study that asserted that once about 30% of the elected politicians are female a threshold is passed and there is a greater chance that various women's issues, otherwise largely ignored, will make it into the political discourse.
              Your 30% comment reminded me of some articles I'd read recently. Check out these stats. Mexico has a bicameral national legislature. Following July's elections...

In the lower chamber, 95 women were elected through direct vote (in a relative majority system), according to the preliminary results from the Federal Electoral Institute.

That is 31.7 percent of the seats filled through direct vote in that chamber, almost doubling the 17.33 percent obtained in 2009 when 52 women were elected. In the previous elections, however, eight women had given up their places to a male alternate.

In addition, 91 women were elected through the system of multi-candidate lists (proportional representation). This means that when the new legislative period is inaugurated on Sep. 1 the lower chamber will have a total of 186 female representatives, or 37.2 percent of the house.

This historical representation is the result of two decades of lobbying that culminated in a legal obligation requiring political parties to fill at least 40 percent of their candidate lists with women.
              Source: http://www.ipsnews.net/2012/07/women...an-parliament/

Like Mexico, the USA also has a bicameral national legislature, and here are the current stats about the % of women in our Senate (i.e., upper chamber) and House of Representatives (i.e., lower chamber)...

Women hold 90, or 16.8%, of the 535 seats in the 112th US Congress — 17, or 17.0%, of the 100 seats in the Senate and 73, or 16.8%, of the 435 seats in the House of Representatives.
              Source: http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/fast_fac...rrentFacts.php

This isn't a new development. Mexico has had a higher % of women holding positions of national/regional power than has the USA for some time now, and I'll bet (in dollars or pesos) the Mexican public will elect a female president before their American counterparts.

Comment

Des, I thought that was a robot.

Comment

Working...
                X