Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Interesting article about on-line bigotry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article about on-line bigotry

Interesting article about people trying to re-claim online games, and to a lesser degree forums, from the dominance of misogynist (and other forms of bigotry) posters/commenters
    Posting it here in part because of the fact that MMM is so conspicuously without this problem, and interested to know how much of the "sugestions for moderators" the admins here agree with/ already did.

http://jezebel.com/5938972/a-call-to...?post=52442874

I blame the parents!

(Resumes close study of Daily Mail editorial.)

Comment

While I wholeheartedly condemn misogyny as a brute attack to women and lack of respect, I must say I don't sanctify women, they can be evil and offensive as well, but the truth is: in average women are far more decent, smart, cool, and tempered than us man. And dude I hate "boy's clubs". As my major was Electrical Engineering ( I work as a programmer these days anyway ) we were far too distant of women and any environment without the presence of females is by definition 50% less interesting. I don't mean that sexually only, but the fact you interact with women makes you a little more confident, smart and shows you a different perspective. That is why we love women, for how they look, how they differ from us men, how they can temper our reason, show us something we are not seeing. I cannot thank my wife, my mother, my grandmothers, aunts, cousins, co-workers, friends , doctors, former girlfriends ( well not many of them ) enough for all the good things they gave me. But I fight my demons sometimes, I have to tame the old brute vile misogynist inside me sometimes.
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Speaking on behalf of the admins & moderators - but also on my own behalf 'cos I haven't run this next statement past them - I'd like to have more women on the 'mods team' as I think the female perspective can be a useful balance to the male one. We've had female mods in the past but currently our XX chromosome representation is a big fat '0'.

It would seem that Mike's female readers have got this thing called 'a life' to keep them occupied. I've seen them advertised but whenever I've ask about one I'm told 'there's no demand around these parts for that, sir'.

As to the article Nat cited, I'm not sure. For example, this bit:
        If you freak out when a girl or a woman beats you in a game, you're not a man...A man doesn't need to beat a woman to know he's a man. A man is strong enough to take defeat in a fair game from anybody and move on.
        You see, I think there are (probably) male gamers who take any defeat badly whether they're beaten by a girl or another guy. It's just that when they lash out at other guys it's just 'boys being boys' but when they lash out at girls it's misogyny. Perhaps they're not ragging specifically on women, they might just be generally anti-social.

Nah, they probably are just misogynistic pricks.

Online Anonymity
        I am, more and more, of the persuasion that people should use their real world IDs online and refrain from using pseudonyms or 'handles'. I get that it feels kinda neat to create an online persona and pretend like you're some super-cool secret-squirrel cyberpunk cracker sticking it to The Man but let's face it, all you're doing is looking at pr0n.

As the article says, anonymity is a double-edged tool; on the one hand I think it does tend to encourage people to speak their true minds so you get a more honest picture of them; on the other, their true minds aren't necessarily very pleasant places to spend any time in. Society tends to 'encourage' us to behave in something approximating a civil manner
        because we fear the repercussions if we don't; our family, friends and colleagues may ostracise us if we behave inappropriately so we moderate our behaviour to fit in. Online those societal taboos are greatly reduced; people can say what they like because they think (rightly or wrongly) that they're untouchable and if they get banned they can pretty easily get a proxy address, create a new ID and carry on much as before.

One reason why I don't use my RL name outside of MWM is because frankly you don't know the sort of idiots you're interacting with online. Who knows what sort of psychos are out there, lurking. And if you're woman - given that there are all sorts of creeps in the real world hiding behind fake IDs online - how safe would *you* feel putting your RL details out into the public domain? It's seems like too much of a risk if you ask me.

So, we're probably stuck with online pseudonyms for the foreseeable future.
        Last edited by David Mosley; 09-07-2012, 08:35 AM. Reason: Correct use of chromosomes
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post

Online Anonymity
          I am, more and more, of the persuasion that people should use their real world IDs online and refrain from using pseudonyms or 'handles'.

So, we're probably stuck with online pseudonyms for the foreseeable future.
          Pseudonym? Not me,my ex-partner and others indeed call me 'Kymba' out there in meat-land!
          Last edited by Kymba334; 09-07-2012, 08:51 AM. Reason: missed two words somehow
          Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

My nickname was created as a joke. A co-worker saw me implementing a blog using DHTML, and she asked me "What is this?". I said it was a blog and she said "what a girly thing", we laughed and I said "it is a zlog" . As my name is Daniel, things sort of ended up this way.
            "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
            "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Concearning Nathaniel's orginal post i must state that sometimes it takes all my willpower not to go to the sort of website he described and give the bigots hell,but hey...my time is too limited and is better spent either here or trying to fix my own affairs out in the world.By the way Daniel i like it that your user name incorporates your true one...a real master you are,of the middle way!
              Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

Kymba we all have "to fight our internal demons". I was watching Neverending story with my kids a few minutes ago. You probably remember that scene where Atreyu has to face a mirror that shows people what they really are. The film has a speech that I think it sums up quite well: a decent person when is aware of her vileness sometimes may not bear the burden of this knowledge. We have to fight our demons, our misogyny, our homophobia, our hatred, racism. I try to be better than what I know I am , because there is a part of me I really hate and need to tame.

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                  And if you're woman - given that there are all sorts of creeps in the real world hiding behind fake IDs online - how safe would *you* feel putting your RL details out into the public domain? It's seems like too much of a risk if you ask me.
                  Some weeks ago a Brazilian TV show called CQC ( sort of a mix between investigative journalism and comedy ) has this episode where they faked a 14 years old girl ( through a 19 years old woman who looked younger ) and allowed her to interact with all sort of freaks after young ladies. They even set a date and filmed one of them. You certainly have to agree that we have many freaks out there and we must be aware that they might be after children. There is so much craziness out there...

Comment

Working...
                  X